Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:44 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times

Advertisements

Gas is not an option for us. Thinking about replacing my standard 30" electric range with one that has an induction cooktop. They make some under $2K that look OK, but I wonder about reliability. There are several high end ones that run between $3K and $4K and they look really nice but I have to wonder if they are any more reliable and if the cost is worth it.

So, just wondering if anyone on here actually owns one, what brand, and if you'd recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 05:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Not free standing, but an induction cook top. We bought in 2013; brand is Bosch. I bought middle, that is neither top of line, nor cheapest.

It cooks great! I always want induction, from now on. Regular electric is slow and not responsive. Induction is fast, and responsive.

This summer my cooktop seemingly died. We had repairman out. Apparently wire connections under the unit can slip. He soldered the wires for a permanent fix. He went on and on about how great Bosch appliances are.

If you buy induction, you will have to use magnetic based pans. If a magnet does not stick on bottom of pan, it won’t heat. And pans must be flat. I use iron on my induction burners, but some manufacturers warn against it. If you drop an iron pan, it could break the cooktop—as it would with a regular smooth cooktop.

Induction has been in use in Europe for longer than in US. It is not as new as you probably think. An induction cook top is easier to keep clean than a regular glass cooktop, because food does not burn onto the top. When you remove the pan from burner, the burner turns off automatically, and will cool quickly.

Can you tell that I really like cooking with induction?

Old 09-27-2019, 06:44 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,156,456 times
I will completely echo the post above. I had a Bosch cooktop in my old house and it was rock solid.

I did not experience the connection “slipping”, but you definitely must evaluate your cookware.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:48 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
we have one at our gun range to cook for the overflow crowds after lunch meetings.
it works as it should and takes a considerable learning curve to make it work.
like riding a bicycle...once you "get it"....you got it.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:37 PM

Thanks everyone - good info. One of the ranges I liked was a Bosch but it was over $3K. The one I'm looking at now is a Frigidaire - they seem to be the only maker in the not-high-end category. I just wish I could go look at one. I hate that almost all the appliance shopping is online now. I really want to be able to see one in person before I buy it.

I have a few pieces of really nice heavy duty old style Calphalon Commercial cookware that I won't be able to use with induction, but all the rest of my cookware is induction friendly. I've cooked on those stand alone induction cooktops, so I am somewhat familiar with them.

I'll update you if I end up buying one.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:04 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
One of the ranges I liked was a Bosch but it was over $3K. The one I'm looking at now is a Frigidaire - they seem to be the only maker in the not-high-end category.
Frigidaire is the crap low-end brand of Electrolux.
Buy the Bosch.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Frigidaire is the crap low-end brand of Electrolux.
Buy the Bosch.
That’s why I wanted to be able to see them in person. I had a Frigidaire range once and liked it but the newer ones don’t seem as well made. The other issue with the Bosch (besides the price) was that it required a 4 prong connection whereas the Frigidaire would allow the traditional 3 prong.

I refuse to buy GE or Samsung, but I hadn’t put Frigidaire in that category. My sister has high end appliances in her condo and I swear they break more than my middle of the line Whirlpools. Sadly Whirlpool doesn’t make one and the only KitchenAid model has 2 ovens which I don’t want.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
https://www.lg.com/us/cooking-applia...electric-range

Can you drive to a larger town and check out appliances in person there?

We bought LG convection oven, micro and fridge. The oven seems great so far, and the micro is quite good. I don’t know about LG induction, however. At any rate, LG is not high end like Thermador. We bought our stuff at Lowes, and our experience was good.

The LG oven interior is bright blue!

Old 09-29-2019, 01:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

We bought LG convection oven, micro and fridge. The oven seems great so far, and the micro is quite good. I don’t know about LG induction, however. At any rate, LG is not high end like Thermador. We bought our stuff at Lowes, and our experience was good.

I bought the LG oven because it was blue inside too! and then I painted my kitchen walls the same color. But the stove gives off so much heat that I get hives when I try to stand at it and cook. I came to this thread wondering if the induction stoves give off less heat.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I bought the LG oven because it was blue inside too! and then I painted my kitchen walls the same color. But the stove gives off so much heat that I get hives when I try to stand at it and cook. I came to this thread wondering if the induction stoves give off less heat.

Well the Austin metro is now 2 million people and honestly, I don't really want to drive to Houston or Dallas! It's just that the stores don't keep much inventory on hand these days. I was originally planning on buying from Home Depot because I had some past issues with Lowes, but I just looked at their website and saw some additional candidates. LG is a brand I hadn't considered - I'll do some more research on them. Thanks!

Hedgehog_Mom, do you mean the stovetop or the oven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House