Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:10 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just winterize the house. Drain water lines and appliances or fill the lines with RV antifreeze. They won't care if the house gets cold.
That really is not good for any wooden cabinets or floors .......you really should have some heat ..we set it for 50 ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just winterize the house. Drain water lines and appliances or fill the lines with RV antifreeze. They won't care if the house gets cold.
That really is not good for any wooden cabinets or floors .......you really should have some heat ..we set it for 50 ...wood cabinets contract and expand with temperature

Old 10-10-2019, 06:12 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
That really is not good for any wooden cabinets or floors .......you really should have some heat ..we set it for 50 ...wood cabinets contract and expand with temperature
We winterized my Dad's house in West Central Wisconsin each winter for about 13 years, when he finally retired and moved up there for good. He built the house for easy winterization (drains in the supply piping, etc.), and we would set up glue traps for vermin. No damage I'm aware of, he had oak plywood cabinets he built himself, and I never saw any mold or mildew on the walls or furniture - it was a 1300 s.f. "real" house, it wasn't a cabin.

Sometimes, if we were going up for a couple of days in the wintertime, we would just haul water from my Grandpa's house for flushing toilets and washing up. He had a well, and it took a few hours to get everything drained down, it was just easier to haul five or ten gallons of water per person per day for short stays. The better insulated your home is, the closer the interior will stay at the daily or even weekly temperature average, I doubt that the (deep) basement in that house got much below freezing in the winter. My unheated garage is insulated and drywalled, and it winters with no problem.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:44 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
A Nest thermostat can be set up to send you an email if the temperature ever drops below a certain threshold. Whether you run the system or not. No subscription required.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:21 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
A Nest thermostat can be set up to send you an email if the temperature ever drops below a certain threshold. Whether you run the system or not. No subscription required.
Thank you for the suggestion but I would assume that the house still needs to have WIFI.

They do have an auto dialer but cancelled their landline that is being encouraged even by the phone companies in rural areas due to a reduction of customers and higher maintenance costs.

I am going to recommend this temperature warning light I found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Lumastrobe-Te...dp/B004FRLGPM#

They have had their furnace go out despite no power loss. Being in rural Maine, they are using propane just as I am here in Wisconsin. Now they just have to find someone that could take a drive by every so many days to check if the light is activated or not.

Thanks to everyone else that replied!

Old 10-11-2019, 06:30 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
What good is a battery operated warning light do if there is no one there to see it?

Old 10-11-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
What good is a battery operated warning light do if there is no one there to see it?
we had a battery back up on our auto dial-er ..it reported if power was out as well as temperature .

Old 10-11-2019, 07:10 AM

747 posts, read 839,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I did mention that they now have to try and find someone that could drive by every now and then to take a look at the house and see if it is activated or not.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:20 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
The monthly cost of a landline seems a small price. Otherwise pay for a caretaker to live there.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:35 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
That really is not good for any wooden cabinets or floors .......you really should have some heat ..we set it for 50 ...
You don't have to turn the heat off, just winterize it so if there is a power outage the plumbing won't explode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House