Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 11:52 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,287 times

Advertisements

The OP could also install a 230V electric heater, or even a gas-fired unit heater, in the home with a thermostat set at maybe 50°F, that would turn on if the furnace didn't. Wouldn't do them much good in a total power failure, but there's always the option of a backup generator, driven by LP or natural gas. Money can fix a lot, LOL.

Plumbing winterization is always a good idea, I turn off my main water valve if I'm going on vacation in the summer, let alone the winter. There was an unoccupied home for sale in Burr Ridge IL maybe ten years ago (I think it was listed at like 20 MILLION, and a water line froze and broke, it ran for weeks and did a tremendous amount of damage. So yeah, it's the water you have to worry about.

Having a good relationship with a neighbor who will call if there's a prolonged power outage, or if they see footprints in the snow around the house, or will keep an eye on smoke from the chimney, is always a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 02:01 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,484,975 times
I'm not very knowledgeable about the details but. You can get an interface that works with a cell phone which might be connected to whatever type alarm device you come up with. Basically it lets you connect land line devices to a cell phone.

I have a Cobra PhoneLynx device, but I've never actually hooked it up.

A reviewer on Amazon suggested this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A168KXA012QU1E

Either way you'd need to leave a cell phone there. There are some really cheap cell phone plans. My tracfone is under $5/month, the way I do it.

If you get a land line or a device that lets a cell phone work like a land line, you can get one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sensaphone-...oAAOSwW8BdW1Dl

You just plug in in to a phone line, 120v power, and put 4 D cells in it. It will call with a voice message for temperature out of range, power failure, if it hears an alarm sound (I think), and has 2 inputs to which you can connect any kind of alarm switch. You can call the thing and it will report conditions and let you listen to sounds in the house. Radio shack also used to sell the same device with a different name. This is old technology. Sensaphone has newer devices, but these old ones are cheap.

You can get free internet access, I think 200mb / month from FreedomPop. You have to buy the hotspot dongle thing and you may have to carry a small balance on your account in case you go over the 200mb. That might be sufficient for communication from a WIFI thermostat. The hotspot interface thing is powered by a usb charge, but has a rechargable battery. I don't know how long the battery will last. I have one of these but I've not actually used it yet.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:35 PM

621 posts, read 1,122,771 times
If the snowbird trips are a annual habit each winter, you might want to invest in a solution to solve the low temperature problem by means of a secondary heat source such as a wall heater. Not too attractive but simple enough that it requires no electrical source.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:53 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,287 times
I think the item shown on the attached link is what the OP is looking for, but you probably need to be somewhat near a cell tower for it to work (if your cell phone works at the location, this should as well). I found it by typing into Google, "Device to notify me if heat goes out". There may be better ones out there, I didn't go "shopping", I was only looking for an example. I'd still consider winterizing the house or installing a secondary heat source, so that it isn't an "emergency" if your furnace should go out.
https://www.amazon.com/Sensored-MAR-...=fsclp_pl_dp_6

Old 10-14-2019, 11:57 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Thank you for the suggestion but I would assume that the house still needs to have WIFI.

They do have an auto dialer but cancelled their landline that is being encouraged even by the phone companies in rural areas due to a reduction of customers and higher maintenance costs.

I am going to recommend this temperature warning light I found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Lumastrobe-Te...dp/B004FRLGPM#

They have had their furnace go out despite no power loss. Being in rural Maine, they are using propane just as I am here in Wisconsin. Now they just have to find someone that could take a drive by every so many days to check if the light is activated or not.

Thanks to everyone else that replied!
Sorry to jump in late but two options that may address the need for internet:

1. You may be able to purchase a prepaid hot spot for internet that would be perfect for the Nest's trickle of data (after any initial software updates) and monitoring. $5-10/month in data instead of $60/month for cable internet.

2. Cable internet (maybe telcos, too) offer "essential" packages sometimes for low speed connections. Spectrum's deal in my area is $14.99/mo. I was not asked to qualify on income or other needs-based criteria.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sorry to jump in late but two options that may address the need for internet:

1. You may be able to purchase a prepaid hot spot for internet that would be perfect for the Nest's trickle of data (after any initial software updates) and monitoring. $5-10/month in data instead of $60/month for cable internet.

2. Cable internet (maybe telcos, too) offer "essential" packages sometimes for low speed connections. Spectrum's deal in my area is $14.99/mo. I was not asked to qualify on income or other needs-based criteria.
I would recommend #2 if available. Add a battery backup for the WiFi modem and a smart thermostat or other option.

A number of years ago when selling my NY home the furnace was turned off during a walkthrough - I had already relocated so it was vacant. The temperature outside was in the single digits.

I found out as the Sensi thermostat sent me an email saying it couldn’t maintain the desired temperature and I then called my agent.

With a device like the Canary you could also have a camera to check on things as well as show temperature, humidity and air quality. These are popular with people monitoring their condos outside of snowbird season.

https://canary.is/

Old 10-14-2019, 07:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
They have had their furnace go out despite no power loss. Being in rural Maine, they are using propane just as I am here in Wisconsin. Now they just have to find someone that could take a drive by every so many days to check if the light is activated or not.

I'm assuming forced hot air and they are draining the water lines and winterizing the drains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House