Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
The numbers may be skewed by a brand that, in reality, hardly anyone ever buys, appearing to be a brand that, in reality, hardly has to be repaired.

Not if "the numbers" are collected and presented correctly.

Also - I was asking the poster for his experience. I can go to Consumer Reports as easily as anyone to get numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Something I learned with my last fridge is that if it doesn't have enough shelves, you can go online to an appliance parts vendor and buy more shelves.
That's great! I didn't even think of that.

A lazy trick I learned w/ shelves is use your dishwasher to clean two at a time (one above, one below). Just move the contents around as you swap out shelves.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:19 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
First; size. It needs to fit.
Second; freezer on the bottom.
Third; can’t think of a third. Unless it would be in the built in ice maker. That is one option I have not had before.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:42 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
1) standard style -- basic freezer on top, frig on the bottom (no side-by-side, no ice maker.) What I REALLY want they don't make...a French door with the freezer on top, and the double doors on the bottom. But they don't make it so basic standard freezer on top is my choice

2) color -- black
3) as with anything in life -- size! (has to be big enough, yet fit a certain space)
4) layout of inside organization -- shelving, doors, drawers are set up, options for readjusting them)

5) brand name
6) and of course, price. I'm not going over a given price point. So I need to find all my preferences for the right price.
7) whether it's energy star (efficient). I care about this the least.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Our refrigerator finally died last night after 20+ years of reliable service. Since we had it so long, I'm not sure what to look for in a new fridge and it's a big purchase to make and affects our everyday life a lot. Like most things, there is more variety in refrigerators than 20 years ago. I know we don't want a wi-fi enabled refrigerator. That seems needlessly complicated. We're inclined to buy used since it is very likely we will move out of state soon and moving a refrigerator is risky, but we're looking at new ones as well. But we need to buy quickly of course since we have a huge cooler of food packed in ice in the kitchen. I'd like to get others' opinions on what they like about each type, size, color, and brand. We will keep measurements in mind. Our current one is a 25 cubic foot Amana. FYI, it's only the two of us and two spoiled dogs who get the occasional treat out of it
no bottom freezer.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I have been on the fridge roller coaster with Sears for the last year+. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!!!

We purchased a CR highly-rated Kenmore (LG) french door fridge in 2010 with a 3 year warranty. Long, long, looooooooong story short, it was a piece of crap, with multiple repairs and new parts needed, such that purchasing the warranty paid off for us financially, but could never make up for the hassle. They easily paid for that fridge 4 times over with the parts/repairs and food loss claims.

Needless to say, we spent a lot of time with local repair technicians. So I asked them ALL what they would purchase, what they almost never get calls on, etc. Best brands hands-down are Whirlpool, LG, and Samsung. Samsung's ice maker is a pita to repair, and we have a samsung washer that I don't love. So we ended up getting a $4000 LG fridge scratch&dent at Sears outlet for free (thanks to the aforementioned warranty and ridiculous hassle). It sounds very similar to the one chicagoliz said she loved.

So I would go with size first ('cuz it has to fit in your kitchen!), then brand/reliability, capacity, features, and looks last.
That's strange. I heard so many bad things about Samsung that we didn't want one of those. I told wife to buy whatever she wanted because I'm the spouse who doesn't care about anything as long as the house doesn't burn down. She ended up buying a new 25 cubic foot bottom freezer stainless steel Whirlpool with an ice maker. Although we wanted to get a used one, delivery way out in the country was going to be so hard and expensive, and we're too small to do it ourselves it made more sense to buy a new one.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
Size
Cost
Reliability

And as a few cra..... ah, 'features' that will just break or that I'll never use; a frig should keep food cold not tell me the weather or news.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:52 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Q: What Is Most Important to You when Buying a Refrigerator?

A: It has to fit through a door to get inside the house.
Get a bigger door.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sorry about Whirlpool.

Checked Sub-Zero out and their cheapest model with an external dispenser is $10,660.

Not sure if they were always priced like that - but they are now!
They don't need repairs very often but when they do it's quite expensive. (i.e., $2500 for a new compressor).

We've also had good luck with Frigidaire and GE.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I didn’t want ice and water in the door. It’s just one more crevice to have to keep clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House