Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 11:14 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Thank you! I will take a look at them. I feel crippled by my first night on the Natures Escape. It is very firm through the hip area and doesn't allow my hip to sink so my back is aligned. Argh!
Mic, I had that problem too with our new mattress being too firm and I would wake up in such pain because my back would be out of line. I bought the soft plush online (Saatva) even though the most popular model being sold was the firm one. Frankly, I was a bit nervous that I would just sink into it, but it's worked out great and my hips sink in just enough and I don't wake up with back pain.

I'm not trying to push Saatva on you.. just maybe try a plush soft in whatever brand you settle on. They're supposed to be better for side sleepers. My husband loves our previous mattress which is firm but he's a back sleeper.. so I said screw it, bought the plush soft and now we sleep very comfortably in separate bedrooms.. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,055,140 times
ellie,
I think you are absolutely right. I need a much softer mattress for my spine to align. I was in such pain this morning and everything in my back and hip is out of alignment. I will look at the Saatva. Was there any smell to it?

Thanks!
Edit: Just relooked at the thread and saw you already said it had no smells. Also relooked at the web site and when I see memory foam with low VOCs I get scared because I don't want to be having any reaction to the mattress.

2nd Edit:
I called Joybed because I was finding theirs fairly comfortable so wanted to see what gauge coils they use. First they said 15G. When I asked about zoning then it changed to 13.75 in the middle and the guy parroted 5 zones from the web site but didn't really seem to know what the coils were and what the zoning system is. So the mystery mattress (no info on their tags as to what the contents are) remains a mystery, even to them.

Last edited by mic111; 11-12-2019 at 01:09 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 01:38 PM

I was a little concerned about the memory foam part too because we have that in the firm mattress. That memory foam took so long to get back into position that it would wake me up out of a sound sleep because I could literally feel it moving underneath me. With the Saatva, I don't know where the memory foam is. It doesn't seem to be on top because I don't feel any movement or major indentation when I change position which I apparently do. I sleep on my side and my stomach. I have asthma so I was leery of the memory foam and off gassing too, but they've got 120 day guarantee so I figured I'd try it. I did let it air out once I put it on the bed because it was wrapped in plastic when delivered.

But, if you're sensitive to memory foam, or prefer not to have it then keep looking. I hope you find something. I love my mattress and I've never said that before about any of them. I could stay in bed all day.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I was a little concerned about the memory foam part too because we have that in the firm mattress. That memory foam took so long to get back into position that it would wake me up out of a sound sleep because I could literally feel it moving underneath me. With the Saatva, I don't know where the memory foam is. It doesn't seem to be on top because I don't feel any movement or major indentation when I change position which I apparently do. I sleep on my side and my stomach. I have asthma so I was leery of the memory foam and off gassing too, but they've got 120 day guarantee so I figured I'd try it. I did let it air out once I put it on the bed because it was wrapped in plastic when delivered.

But, if you're sensitive to memory foam, or prefer not to have it then keep looking. I hope you find something. I love my mattress and I've never said that before about any of them. I could stay in bed all day.
Thanks! I hope that I too will be able to find something I am that happy with.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:14 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
This is a great thread. I am also looking for a really super good mattress without the smelly off gassing. My husband bought a memory foam mattress from Costco a few years ago. It took me over a month to be able to go into the room because of the off gassing odor. I can still smell it when helping him change the sheets. Yuck. For me, I absolutely HATE memory foam, because I sink into it too much and my pillow does not follow me, so I end up with neck problems, and a low back ache. And I would wake up 20-30 times a night turning over, turning over, trying to get comfortable, never getting much sleep at all. I finally said enough is enough, and I sleep on the daybed now in another room. The twin mattress is a little too firm for me, and I want something that is just right, if it exists, does not turn me off with the odors. I am sleeping so much better already, but I want something less firm.

I will be eagerly watching this thread to find the outcome of the mattress that finally lets you sleep comfortably. Where you wake up feeling like you slept, and no aches and pains from the mattress. Then I will probably buy that one, as long as it doesn't break the bank doing it.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:59 PM

PinkString, I will be sure to keep reporting in.

I put in a call to My Green Mattress to ask if they ever made a plush soft one for someone. The owner was out and is going to call back. I want to compare ordering a custom one vs. trying to find another manufacturer and rolling the dice again. So far I'm not finding an organic manufacturer with a soft bed that doesn't have reports of smells.

I rolled back around to looking at the Avocado again since it was supposed to have 17 gauge (thinnest I've seen) coils in the center 3rd and consumer reports says it is great for medium weight side sleepers. But when talking to their customer service and reading reviews it is also reported to be too firm.

I was so impressed with My Green Mattress's transparency and the fact that the Mattress did not smell one bit, even when opening the plastic bag. We cut off the end of the plastic bag, I took a sniff and nothing. But the Natural Escape has a very firm center which pushes up on my hips and killed me last night. We put a 2" soft natural Talalay latex topper on it this morning and it didn't help. I think it is because the hip area is firmer than the shoulder area so no matter what I put on it I will be in an arc with my hips and waist at the top, shoulders and feet slightly lower because the head and foot of the mattress is softer.

My husband swapped the two this morning and now he has the My Green Mattress and I'm on the Joybed again. I followed up with Joybed on getting a picture of the legal tags and what their coil gauge is. I am not happy with them sending out mattresses without filled out law tags and that are not the advertised dimensions but at least their mattress was pretty comfortable after a couple of weeks and during the break in period it was too firm but didn't cripple me. I can't account for why the first one had no odor and the second one does. The second one is sitting in my office room 'perfuming' it as I type this.

I think they need to make mattresses for women with hips so you can sink into them to align your spine. I don't know who came up with making the middle one third super hard. Seems counter intuitive.

My snugfleece elite ($$$) is coming today so that is going on the Joybed. One shouldn't have to buy all these expensive toppers to make a bed comfortable.

Last edited by mic111; 11-12-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 03:18 PM

oh Mic, I feel sorry for you because I know what you're going through. I did the same thing. I had so many toppers that I bought when I was trying to make the firm mattress softer and easier on my body. .. One cost me over $300. None of them lasted or worked for me for any length of time and that's when I gave up and just bought a new mattress. One topper I bought was so thick and raised the mattress so high that I couldn't get into the bed without using a step stool. and I could never find sheets that fit over the topper and the mattress.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:49 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
The link I posted above has so much information that is being discussed here, only in so much more depth. My Green Mattress is one of the retailers who meets their criteria as being open and transparent with customers, and you can read and post questions directly to them and the other companies on their site. They also have tons of articles on every aspect of buying a mattress you could imagine.

Here is a direct link to their forum: https://www.themattressunderground.c...ess-forum.html

Not to disparage the posts here at CD in any way, but the Mattress Underground is like OCD on steroids when it comes to discussing every single minute aspect of mattresses and where to buy them.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:37 AM

KittenSparkles,
Thanks for the link again. I did visit it the first time and read some. Just wasn't planning to have this much trouble finding something. Also now that my hip is out of alignment from the My Green Mattress Natural Escape it is difficult to do any research on the computer.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:24 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
The link I posted above has so much information that is being discussed here, only in so much more depth. My Green Mattress is one of the retailers who meets their criteria as being open and transparent with customers, and you can read and post questions directly to them and the other companies on their site. They also have tons of articles on every aspect of buying a mattress you could imagine.

Here is a direct link to their forum: https://www.themattressunderground.c...ess-forum.html

Not to disparage the posts here at CD in any way, but the Mattress Underground is like OCD on steroids when it comes to discussing every single minute aspect of mattresses and where to buy them.
I'm in the market for a new mattress and was happy to find this thread and also the link you posted. However, the website software on the Mattress Underground looks horrible on my laptop, which is very disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House