U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2019, 10:40 AM

29,324 posts, read 20,028,075 times

Advertisements

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/li...-for-sure.html

Most of us have microwave ovens. Here are some ideas about ways to use them, besides reheating coffee.

Do you have any tips or hacks for using the microwave oven?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 02:31 PM

5,335 posts, read 5,730,396 times
I take a 4cup Pyrex measuring cup with 3cups of water and
a half of a lemon set it on high for 7 & 1/2 min.*

It removes that nasty popcorn smell and others too

* My micro slave is 1250 watts, Adjust yours accordingly

Old 11-04-2019, 08:03 PM

20,684 posts, read 61,856,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.lifehack.org/articles/li...-for-sure.html

Most of us have microwave ovens. Here are some ideas about ways to use them, besides reheating coffee.

Do you have any tips or hacks for using the microwave oven?
I have a few issues with the text of the provided lifehack link:

Item 2 - lentils and beans. Lentils are completely different than beans. Lentils cook in half an hour naturally, while beans require a longer soaking than that "hack" will provide.

5. Toasting Nuts (edited for brevity - since spices are different, and some are damaged by microwaving)
In order to bring out the beautiful aroma of your nuts, zap them in a microwave in bursts of 15 seconds. Repeat the procedure until the aroma from the nuts engulfs your kitchen. Your nuts should be perfectly toasted by then.

7. Disinfecting Cutting Boards...
I have no cutting board that would even fit in a microwave, and wooden board have natural disinfecting qualities. However... I wonder if my nuts are disinfected now...???

8. Using it as a Proofer...
A microwave would very effectively kill yeast. This tip is using water as a way to help proof, with the microwave serving as a cardboard box. Lame!

9. Cooking Potatoes...
Oh please! Microwaves even come with a "potato" setting. This is no more a "hack" that washing your hands to make them clean. Idiotic.

11. Cooking Bacon
Wrap the slices of bacon in kitchen towels and microwave them for 2-3 minutes. The Kitchen towel soaks the moisture from the bacon and makes the slices crisply cooked ... and the bits of towel that you can't remove add flavor.

13. 13. Recrystallizing Honey
If honey solidifies inside the jar, then use a microwave to soften it. Uncover the jar, and microwave it for 30 seconds to 1 minute. This will liquefy honey and bring it back to a good consistency.

Obviously, the author has no clue about the English language or physics. The easy word to use would be "Melting," as in "melting crystallized honey."

The internet is looking more and more like a gutter outside of a 1970 Port Authority bus station.

A real hack for a microwave is to put a wet coffee filter over a bowl of chili or anything that tends to spatter. The filter will contain the spatter and keep you from having to clean bits of beans and dead cow off the interior of that oven.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 57,439,908 times
This is what it means to "hack" a microwave oven-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Yt...gayQLOQ0DTkt8A

Old 11-05-2019, 04:46 PM

I've never toasted spices in the micro. But I have definitely presoaked lentils, and have gotten a better final product from doing so. I was advised to do a presoak by an accomplished Indian cook. I see nothing wrong with the rec.

While the entry about honey was poorly written, I think most people would understand that you can soften honey in the micro. I certainly have done that.

I do bacon differently than the rec above though. If I only do a few slices, I like to make a pad of newspaper, add a paper towel, place bacon on top, and cover with a paper towel. Micro at a lower power setting than high. For more slices, I would cook in the regular oven at 375.

Not all micros have presets, or very many of them. I would personally not cook a potato in the micro, but some people do.

Honestly, I find your post a bit on the cranky side. I hope you are having an OK day.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've never toasted spices in the micro. But I have definitely presoaked lentils, and have gotten a better final product from doing so. I was advised to do a presoak by an accomplished Indian cook. I see nothing wrong with the rec.

While the entry about honey was poorly written, I think most people would understand that you can soften honey in the micro. I certainly have done that.

I do bacon differently than the rec above though. If I only do a few slices, I like to make a pad of newspaper, add a paper towel, place bacon on top, and cover with a paper towel. Micro at a lower power setting than high. For more slices, I would cook in the regular oven at 375.

Not all micros have presets, or very many of them. I would personally not cook a potato in the micro, but some people do.

Honestly, I find your post a bit on the cranky side. I hope you are having an OK day.
LOL! I am perennially cranky with poorly written media. I find it an affront to anyone who bothers to read. A trick on potatoes (a hack?) is to butter, poke, and wrap them in cling film before putting them in the microwave, and letting them rest a few minutes after cooking while still in that wrap. It makes for a more evenly cooked spud. (The steam from the spud keeps any outgassing from the plastic at bay.)

I do bacon in a pan.. but... I put foil over the bacon and then rest the bottom of another smaller pan on it. That presses the bacon to the pan and I get to harvest all that wonderful bacon fat.

I was a mass murderer today. The Asian lady beetles tried to invade my home. BAD move on their part. I must have killed at least a couple thousand. I won't say it was a GOOD day, but it was a lot better than cohabiting with bugs the entire winter. Thanks for the concern.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:43 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,337,814 times
You absolutely can proof yeast doughs in a MW. Done it many times, shortens the rising time and doesn't kill the yeast.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! I am perennially cranky with poorly written media. I find it an affront to anyone who bothers to read. A trick on potatoes (a hack?) is to butter, poke, and wrap them in cling film before putting them in the microwave, and letting them rest a few minutes after cooking while still in that wrap. It makes for a more evenly cooked spud. (The steam from the spud keeps any outgassing from the plastic at bay.)

I do bacon in a pan.. but... I put foil over the bacon and then rest the bottom of another smaller pan on it. That presses the bacon to the pan and I get to harvest all that wonderful bacon fat.

I was a mass murderer today. The Asian lady beetles tried to invade my home. BAD move on their part. I must have killed at least a couple thousand. I won't say it was a GOOD day, but it was a lot better than cohabiting with bugs the entire winter. Thanks for the concern.
OK. I approve of your war against insect invasion. And how about a micro tip?

Old 11-06-2019, 02:05 PM

VTsnowbird is right and I was wrong about proofing. Thanks for the correction.

The potato in cling wrap was a tip. Another is to microwave gluten free bread for a few seconds. It activates the xanthin gum bonds and keeps the bread from crumbling for about five minutes.

Your turn.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:42 AM

41,823 posts, read 46,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

You can also do that with corn on the cob, personally I put no plastic in the microwave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House