Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 06:56 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times

Advertisements

Our current home is brick. I like it because it seems to me considerably quieter than other homes we’ve had and because there is no maintenance with the brick, just trim painting now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 07:30 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The place where I intend to buy my home is not in an earthquake zone, and Earthquakes are very rare. Major earthquakes are unheard of, so the Earthquake risk factor people keep mentioning is largely irrelevant here.
Living in a hurricane prone area, we rarely see a wood frame house here. Most of the houses here are what they call "CBS" construction: Concrete, Block & Stucco. That being said, after Hurricane Irma came through in August of 2017, there was no damage on the houses that I knew to be wood frame, even ones that people thought would come down in a hurricane. I think Florida has strict building codes since Hurricane Andrew hit the Miami area in the 90's.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:30 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I'm planning to buy a home around 5 years from now, and I intend for it to be the first and last home I'll ever buy. Are brick homes (structural brick homes, not wood-framed homes with a brick veneer) far superior to wood framed homes in terms of durability and longevity, all else being roughly equal?
Brick houses always have a frame of wood or steel.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:05 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

This may be true of new houses, but it's not true of all houses. In the past, it was not uncommon to have structural brick walls.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:23 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:

I love the Sunday morning funnies!

Old 11-10-2019, 01:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
No, there is hardly any. Maybe a bit more in Sweden and Finland. But the rest not. I am from Holland and there are just no wooden houses. Some vacation houses but that is not a home. Neither in southern Europe.
In Italy there are villa's 2000 years old stil standing. Made of brick.
Another thing. Brick homes hardly never catch on fire.
Sweden, Finland, and Norway are mostly wooden architecture except in the densest urban areas and modern apartment blocks. Also much of European Russia, parts of Poland, and Alpine and forest areas in Switzerland, Germany, and Italy all have examples of wooden architecture which was a traditional building material for centuries.

Here is a traditional styled wooden house in Italy

Here is a modern one, also Italy

And here is an example of a tradition house in Baden-Württemberg, southern Germany

And a modern one, also in Baden-Württemberg

And here is some in the Netherlands. Shocking, I know!

Traditional Dutch wooden houses

Modern Dutch wooden house

It may not be the norm, but to be so dismissive is naive. Obviously most of continental Europe, especially new construction, leans on masonry and concrete, but to be so dismissive of thousands of years of traditional wooden architecture, much of which is a living tradition from the north to the south, just because it does not exist in your pocket of Holland, is very provincial and myopic.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 11-10-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-10-2019, 03:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I love the Sunday morning funnies!
To clarify, if a house has a frame of wood, it is by definition a wood-frame house. While it would then be possible to build a brick structural wall on the outside of that, it would be incredibly weird and cost prohibitive, as you would be building a house within a house. There is no reason to have two structural walls, wood-frame and brick, immediately adjacent to one another.

The way houses are actually built, a wood-frame house uses wood as the vertical structural support. The walls and roof trusses are attached to one another in such a way as to resist vertical and horizontal loads. If brick is used as a facade, the wood frame holds up the brick, which is only one brick (aka wythe as another poster noted) wide. Although a house of this type might be referred to as a brick house, that is not what the OP is looking for. This type of house is essentially a wood house, because if the wood frame fails, the brick will collapse. Only the facade is brick.

Another option is to make the structural walls out of brick, stone, block or concrete. The walls are mostly self supporting, with the roof trusses resting on the thicker masonry construction. If one furs the inside, you are creating a wood structure for insulation and utilities, but that wood structure is held up by the masonry. The wood could fail, and the masonry walls would be fine.

This is vastly oversimplified, but hopefully clarifies the difference. OP is looking for a type of structural engineering, not cosmetic facade.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:24 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Living in a hurricane prone area, we rarely see a wood frame house here. Most of the houses here are what they call "CBS" construction: Concrete, Block & Stucco. That being said, after Hurricane Irma came through in August of 2017, there was no damage on the houses that I knew to be wood frame, even ones that people thought would come down in a hurricane. I think Florida has strict building codes since Hurricane Andrew hit the Miami area in the 90's.
LOL. No. CBS stands for Concrete Block Structure.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:26 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If brick is used as a facade, the wood frame holds up the brick, which is only one brick (aka wythe as another poster noted) wide...This is vastly oversimplified...

A brick veneer is "self-supporting"- the framing of a residential wood structure does not "hold up the brick". The brick sits on a "brick ledge". Lentils bridge openings within the wall- the lentils are supported by the brick on each end; and secondary supporting is by the framing structure.

"Oversimplifying" misinformation is simply wrong.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:10 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A brick veneer is "self-supporting"- the framing of a residential wood structure does not "hold up the brick". The brick sits on a "brick ledge". Lentils bridge openings within the wall- the lentils are supported by the brick on each end; and secondary supporting is by the framing structure.

"Oversimplifying" misinformation is simply wrong.
I will agree that I oversold it. A brick facade is self supporting, but will not carry significant load and has little resistance to lateral forces. The facade relies on the structural frame for that lateral stability, and is tied to the frame to that end. Essentially, the wood frame could survive without the brick facade, the reverse is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House