Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,611 times

Advertisements

I have natural gas heat, clothes dryer, range and hot water heater. I recently installed a 7.5 kw solar array on the roof of my home. I went overkill on the solar capacity, thinking I could also reduce my natural gas consumption by converting some of the appliances to electric. I'm considering installing a heat pump water heater to replace my 10 year old natural gas unit. The unit would be installed in an insulated 4' by 8' utility room that can be vented to the attic and/or crawl space. I live in western Washington state.

Although payback period length is a concern, my main objective is to lessen my carbon footprint. I'd appreciate any input on HPWH as well as any other options I should be considering.

Johnnywrongnote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 01:47 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Let's call them hybrids because that's what they really are.

Cost is almost double that of a standard gas w/h. PLUS- you'll have the cost of running a 220v circuit to the w/h location. If the breaker panel is in that utility room you material cost will be minimal. If you don't have room in the panel for a 220v breaker, you'll need a sub-panel. So much for the minimal cost of materials!

Reducing your carbon footprint vs. the overall footprint...
If your electric provider is using fossil fuel to produce that electricity you're using, are you really reducing the carbon footprint?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

If your electric provider is using fossil fuel to produce that electricity you're using, are you really reducing the carbon footprint?

Not even close, newer combined cycle gas plant might top out at 60% efficiency. Older units may only be 30 or 40 percent. Then you have losses during transmission.

Quote:
I have natural gas heat
On top of that during cold weather you are moving heat generated by natural gas and putting it into the water tank using energy to do so. Might as well have just heated it with gas to begin with.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Let's call them hybrids because that's what they really are.

Cost is almost double that of a standard gas w/h. PLUS- you'll have the cost of running a 220v circuit to the w/h location. If the breaker panel is in that utility room you material cost will be minimal. If you don't have room in the panel for a 220v breaker, you'll need a sub-panel. So much for the minimal cost of materials!

Good point about the necessity for 220v.

My plan is to have a negative net usage of power from my electric provider, with the solar panels. Converting the WH to electric would decrease the natural gas I would use, decreasing my carbon footprint.

John

Old 11-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not even close, newer combined cycle gas plant might top out at 60% efficiency. Older units may only be 30 or 40 percent. Then you have losses during transmission.

On top of that during cold weather you are moving heat generated by natural gas and putting it into the water tank using energy to do so. Might as well have just heated it with gas to begin with.

If I pull intake air from my attic would I not be using heat that is going to waste anyway? Even though my attic is well insulated I think the air probably stays at 40 plus degrees in winter, except in severe cold snaps.

John

Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywrongnote View Post
Good point about the necessity for 220v.

My plan is to have a negative net usage of power from my electric provider, with the solar panels. Converting the WH to electric would decrease the natural gas I would use, decreasing my carbon footprint.

John
The power company is probably using natural gas to generate the power.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
If I pull intake air from my attic would I not be using heat that is going to waste anyway? Even though my attic is well insulated I think the air probably stays at 40 plus degrees in winter, except in severe cold snaps.

John

I believe most of them require around 55 degrees, you'd have to check the manufacturers recommendation. If it has auxiliary heat it will kick in after it hits the bottom threshold. Keep in mind as the temperature drops it needs to run longer so you really aren't saving much at the lower thresholds.

On the other hand during warmer weather and you want to remove heat from the living space these are really ideal because you are killing two birds with one stone. Actually three because it also acts as a dehumidifier if you need that functionality.

Quote:
The unit would be installed in an insulated 4' by 8' utility room

You are also going to want to to check this, if you were using room air it's going to lower the temperature in the room. The lower the temp goes the more it needs to run so even in the summer time you need to make sure there is enough heat for it.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:33 AM

572 posts, read 325,611 times
Yes the carbon foot print will lessen with hybrid heat pump . I have been using solar panels in the summer season but i have not used it for the heat pump or heat pump water heater.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:45 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
Quote:
I have natural gas heat, clothes dryer, range and hot water heater. I recently installed a 7.5 kw solar array on the roof of my home. I went overkill on the solar capacity, thinking I could also reduce my natural gas consumption by converting some of the appliances to electric. I'm considering installing a heat pump water heater to replace my 10 year old natural gas unit. The unit would be installed in an insulated 4' by 8' utility room that can be vented to the attic and/or crawl space. I live in western Washington state.

Although payback period length is a concern, my main objective is to lessen my carbon footprint. I'd appreciate any input on HPWH as well as any other options I should be considering.

Johnnywrongnote
Consider tankless electric- read my post in response to “50 gal electric tank not enough” thread
Or better- thermal solar panel for water heating- the most efficient, you could crudely diy if the space allows
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nr...r%20heater.png

https://theselfsufficientliving.com/...em1.jpg?x74756

If you are able to afford more solar capacity- I think it is a benefit: Go all electric- healthier air quality, less humidity, safer, etc
P.S. heat pump water heater needs a lot of air around- it gets heat from the air- you can’t put it in an isolated room - it defeats the purpose- won’t work as efficiently- you just be able to use the inefficient electric coil part of the pump water heater- if you must isolate it- go with regular el tank?

Last edited by Nik4me; 01-06-2020 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-07-2020, 06:56 AM

572 posts, read 325,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
P.S. heat pump water heater needs a lot of air around- it gets heat from the air- you can’t put it in an isolated room - it defeats the purpose- won’t work as efficiently- you just be able to use the inefficient electric coil part of the pump water heater- if you must isolate it- go with regular el tank?

You are wrong here. heat pump does not needs a lot of air however the area around should not be congested and it applies to all the appliances which blow air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House