Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 05:39 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And then you can never have the windows open at night so you can get fresh air.
I open my window behind the curtains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 05:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I open my window behind the curtains.

Not at all the same. I've done both, and the curtain blocks the gentle breeze that brings the night air in.

And if a curtain is thick enough to block out light, it definitely blocks out air.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:28 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
You know, not everyone comes from family money (as you have alluded to many times), so they don't have the luxury of staying in bed until they feel like getting up.
What on earth are you talking about?! I run my own company, what do you do?! I’ve written books, directed movies, run companies, how is your McJob doing? Yeah, that’s what I thought. WHEN you sleep doesn’t have anything to do with how hard you work. I have more work ethic in my left pinky than you do in your entire body. Have you ever put in 20 hour days for a month directing a feature film? No, you haven’t. Did you sign with a literary agent in New York while you were still a high school senior? I did. Has your work been shown at 50 film festivals nationwide? No, it hasn’t. So until your achievements are even 5% of mine, good advice for you is shut up and focus on grilling my burger. And yes I’d like fries with that.

Leaving your window open overnight is completely idiotic and kills temperature controls inside, you let ALL noise in, and no light blocking. Absolutely makes no sense whatsoever. I have a soundproof window that’s 5/8” thick besides the regular double pane glass so if you open both windows you’re killing the whole point of making your room a peaceful place to sleep. Why on earth would you let any random outdoor sounds wake you up when you can easily control that?! I’d rather drive down the freeway in a golf cart without a helmet and a Trump bumper sticker in California lol.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:31 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not at all the same. I've done both, and the curtain blocks the gentle breeze that brings the night air in.

And if a curtain is thick enough to block out light, it definitely blocks out air.
IDK what to tell you. The breeze pushes my curtain.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:05 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
I am surprised by the number of my neighbors who don't turn on their outside lights at night. I live in a middle class subdivision that is relatively new (less than 3 years old). By habit, I flip my exterior lights on at night before I go to bed. Every house in my neighborhood is occupied, but virtually every house is dark. My house stands out like a sore thumb among the darkened houses on my street. I don't get it. I thought exterior lights were a deterrent to burglars? What changed over the years?
Strangely enough, there are studies that show less lite areas are less likely to have crime.

Use a motion sensor lite, and that definitely has an effect, without the power bill

Old 11-25-2019, 09:07 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
I like my windows open when not too hot, or if it is below -5 outside.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:35 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I like my windows open when not too hot, or if it is below -5 outside.
LOL. I grew up sweating and freezing. I try to not do that any more.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:23 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,371,850 times
Our house in CA has one of the only street lights on a residential street in the town so I don't have regular lights on at night. I do have solar lights along the driveway and one solar pole light - the lights around the sides and back of the house are on motion sensors - lots of critters.

In NV our house is in a small gated community - street lights on the street just outside the gate but none inside - probably 80% in the community has at least some lights on all night - we have a pole light on 24 hrs (2 watts) and a couple side lights that turn on at night.

Last edited by ddeemo; 11-26-2019 at 01:41 AM..

Old 11-26-2019, 06:59 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

Leaving your window open overnight is completely idiotic and kills temperature controls inside, you let ALL noise in, and no light blocking. Absolutely makes no sense whatsoever. I have a soundproof window that’s 5/8” thick besides the regular double pane glass so if you open both windows you’re killing the whole point of making your room a peaceful place to sleep. Why on earth would you let any random outdoor sounds wake you up when you can easily control that?! I’d rather drive down the freeway in a golf cart without a helmet and a Trump bumper sticker in California lol.

Some of us use our windows to control the temperature! And the sun is a wonderful alarm clock.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
IDK what to tell you. The breeze pushes my curtain.

Are they blackout curtains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House