Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 06:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,299,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash123 View Post
The insulation guy wants to add 3 mushroom style static vent and 1 turtle style static vent. He says regulation requires a specific amount of ventilation. My house is old has gable and ridge vent but no sofit vents. My family has lived in the house for 26 years. We live in MA and get extreme heat and cold. We have never had ice damns and the attic seems to be within 10 degrees of the outside temperature in the summers. No horrible mold issues. Basically, I'm the roof system seems functional. I plan to do a new roof soon because the shingles are nearing the end of their lives. Should simply let the insulation guy add the vents. Then, have the roofer put in the correct ventilation system. Or, maybe just keep everything the same because it does not seem broken? Any suggestions. I just don't trust an insulation guy to do roofing. You wouldn't hire a plumber to install a generator, right?
Well, if you don't have any soffit vents, how do you expect the air to get IN, that you are hoping will go OUT with gable, ridge, and now additional vents?

You need air to come in low, and exit high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 06:28 AM

24 posts, read 13,329 times
Agree with what everyone is saying. I would rather have a roofer engineer a better roof than an insulation guy. It was his idea to simply add more vents. I think he's simply going by what the code/law says and not because of any expertise in roofing and ventilation. Simply adding more vents is something I would come up with, and I'm no building expert!

Old 11-26-2019, 07:56 AM

17,469 posts, read 65,973,095 times
Quote:
I think he's simply going by what the code/law says and not because of any expertise in roofing and ventilation.

No. He's "simply" going by the "law" of emptying your wallet for however much it holds. He clearly doesn't have the slightly idea what he's talking about.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:41 AM

24 posts, read 13,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
No. He's "simply" going by the "law" of emptying your wallet for however much it holds. He clearly doesn't have the slightly idea what he's talking about.
I agree. In MA, they give out "free" energy assessments. The guy doing the abasement is also a guy who just happens to sell insulation. I had a bad feeling the moment someone knocked on my door offering free energy assessment. Yes, in MA they go door to door offering this free service. Most of it is subsidized by the state through a tax on your electrical bill. It's not really free.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:33 AM

17,589 posts, read 17,609,406 times
Get a second opinion from a licensed roofing contractor

Old 11-26-2019, 05:01 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
I agree. In MA, they give out "free" energy assessments. The guy doing the abasement is also a guy who just happens to sell insulation. I had a bad feeling the moment someone knocked on my door offering free energy assessment. Yes, in MA they go door to door offering this free service. Most of it is subsidized by the state through a tax on your electrical bill. It's not really free.
Let him loose..he sounds like an ignorant scammer, possibly handyman, not a builder.

The latest building science recommends exterior insulation, especially on the roof.
They even recommend to not ventilate the roof at all, the turbines especially are bad- an outdated by 50 years product due to not understanding how the building functions.
Number 1 priority is air-sealing first, then insulate, preferably on the exterior of the building

Actually, you are in luck as you will be redoing your roof in a few years - you could just do everything right: educate yourself ( don’t rely on the builders- the majority of them are busy building the way they know and have no time or even interest to learn anything new) on sites like fine home building, green building advisor, Matt Risinger does some YouTube videos- but take it with a grain of salt a bit as well- he is a good knowledgeable builder who is learning about advanced technologies as he goes- some older videos promoting older products could be outdated/ not in line with the current building science.- he says so himself

If you add more roof ventilation- the air conditioned air in the summer and heated air in the winter will be just getting pulled out of your house through the unsealed nooks and crannies in the ceiling of your interior, walls, interior partitions, etc to the attic to the outside as I am sure your house may have no air sealing or very poor.
Some parts are hard to access in a retrofit- knee walls, plates, corners, etc, but doable..
Educate yourself on air sealing- but get rid of that guy- do not add insulation yet- a waste of money without air sealing or even can lead to house damage if done incorrectly

Last edited by Nik4me; 11-26-2019 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Second that!

Old 11-26-2019, 06:35 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,352,857 times
Just a DIYer here. A family member and I reroofed my house this summer. Both the intake and exhaust venting was inadequate for the health of the attic space and roof. There is a "venting" calculator that can be found online that will help you, OP, determine the proper amount of intake and exhaust venting needed for the size of the attic. An attic needs proper ventilation for moisture issues, energy efficiency and longevity of the roofing. In my area, I often see roofing shingles curling on houses with little, and sometimes no, ventilation.

I added twenty additional eave/intake vents and four larger exhaust vents. The difference in the temperature of the house was instant and quite noticeable.

We used a sawzall to cut down the middle of the eave/bird blocks and then pried the blocks out. We removed the side nails with sidecutters.

Hope this helps you. No, I would not listen to what the "insulation guy" is telling you. Do some homework and decide for yourself. It's relatively easy to figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House