Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 08:26 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times

Advertisements

Quick run down on my house. Its 6 bedrooms. 3 on second floor, 2 on 3rd fl and 1 in basement. There are 3 full baths, 1 in basement, 1 hall bath on 2nd fl and 1 master bath on second fl. And 1 .5 bath on the main floor. We have 9 children, 6 of which are boys (and my husband makes 7 in the house).

I am considering the idea of adding a wall mounted urinal in the 2nd fl hall bath. It has a perfect space for it next to the toilet and it would be about 2 feet to the side of the sink. I figure with all the boys its a good investment but will it turn buyers off when we sell? Its not a need, more for convenience but it makes sense. My husband can install it. I think that a house this size is the type of house that is purchased by a large family in which case it makes sense. But then sometimes women get grossed out by a urinal.

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 08:58 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Are you serious???

It's a rhetorical question!

Old 12-06-2019, 09:05 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,026,852 times
When considering home improvements, for resale purposes we have always tried to make sure that anything we added was at least normal or nicer than normal for that type of room. A urinal on the wall isn't normal and sure isn't nice to look at. I am a female and you must have read my mind, because the first word that popped into my head when I read your post topic was "Gross!" Also "Institutional."

I've looked at a lot of houses in my day, and a urinal on one of the bathroom walls would have made me instantly cross the house off my list. There's just a huge ick factor there for me. I guess you have to do what makes sense for your family, but in this case I don't think you can really combine a wall urinal with any hope of getting ROI, and frankly, it's going to make your house harder to sell because a lot of potential buyers will be thinking of how much it will cost to pull it out.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:05 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
It may work for you but how many people have 9 kids these days!

But sure, you need a public-like restroom and I'd hate to clean up after ya'all. No - you'll get negative ROI - do it for YOURSELF, not resale.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:17 AM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I actually think if people tend to say "ick" as a kneejerk reaction, they really ought to consider the alternative we have now. Think about the common complaints we hear about men and boys who tend to miss, splatter, drip, and leave the toilet seat up.

I think urinals are a good idea! Better designed for men to use cleanly, than toilets are. - lower water use too.

I also think we should start promoting the idea of having, not just one master bath, but his and hers baths, or "individual" baths in the master suite, to meet fair housing rules. My hubby and I live this way in our home and it's great! I have my own bathroom, and he has his. Never the twain shall meet... At least in the bathroom.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:19 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
I thought it was a terrible idea, BUT, then I gave it a teeny bit more thought.

IF it would make a huge improvement to your quality of life, AND you could install/plumb it in such a way that it could be converted to a bidet later on, THAT could be a pretty solid solution.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:38 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
Teach your boys to be a little more respectful and to clean up after themselves.

It can be done. I'm a guy. After going #1 I routinely take a piece of toilet paper and give the front of the rim a quick wipe, then I put the lid down, then I wash my hands.

It's not that difficult and it keeps my wife happy. Well actually not, since she seems to have a bottomless pit of other stuff to complain about, but that's another story.

Anyways, talk to your husband. Tell him that there's this dude on the internet that does a quick wipe of the rim and closes the lid when he's done, and you'd like him and the rest of the boys to do the same.

With a family that large, people need to work together and pull their own weight.

Good luck.

By the way, I really don't think a urinal would solve anything. Most of the ones I see in the men's rooms still have pee and curly hairs all over them and on the floor around them.

I doubt they help much with the cleanliness factor vs. a normal toilet in the grand scheme of things.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I thought it was a terrible idea, BUT, then I gave it a teeny bit more thought.

IF it would make a huge improvement to your quality of life, AND you could install/plumb it in such a way that it could be converted to a bidet later on, THAT could be a pretty solid solution.
That would be possible and actually you bring up a good solution. when we get ready to sell, we could change it to a bidet. Hmmm..

Old 12-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Teach your boys to be a little more respectful and to clean up after themselves.

It can be done. I'm a guy. After going #1 I routinely take a piece of toilet paper and give the front of the rim a quick wipe, then I put the lid down, then I wash my hands.

It's not that difficult and it keeps my wife happy. Well actually not, since she seems to have a bottomless pit of other stuff to complain about, but that's another story.

Anyways, talk to your husband. Tell him that there's this dude on the internet that does a quick wipe of the rim and closes the lid when he's done, and you'd like him and the rest of the boys to do the same.

With a family that large, people need to work together and pull their own weight.

Good luck.

By the way, I really don't think a urinal would solve anything. Most of the ones I see in the men's rooms still have pee and curly hairs all over them and on the floor around them.

I doubt they help much with the cleanliness factor vs. a normal toilet in the grand scheme of things.
I do not have a cleanliness issue. For the most part the boys are relatively clean (dont always remember to flush unfortunately but they dont pee everywhere. Its more convenience for so many boys and saves water. And doesnt waste paper.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:30 AM

https://www.supply.com/shop?d=1056-3...RoCKSAQAvD_BwE

Some examples of a home urinal. they arent as gross as the public ones they are actually nice looking and cleaner looking. Once you get past the fact that you dont think it belongs in a home its actually makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House