Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 12:24 PM

163 posts, read 318,137 times

Advertisements

Advice, please. I can’t tell whether I should be upset with the insurance company or the plumber, but something smells off.

Mom and Dad are in their 80’s and live in a small town about 4 hours away from us. They came home from the store last month to find the carbon monoxide detector alarm going off in the house. The cause was some sort of the leak with the boiler. It was installed when the house was built in the mid-1990's.

The local HVAC guy came out and charged $400 to repair the leak. He told them that the boiler needed to be replaced, and sent them an estimate for the replacement. The cost is approximately $15,000 for a new high-end system with on-demand hot water. They were planning to make the purchase, but it has not yet been installed. The installation appointment is 4 days away. It is a small town with only two HVAC/plumbing suppliers, and Dad trusts this guy.

Meanwhile, Mom spoke with the insurance agent, and realized that they have boiler insurance. They filed a claim and an inspector came to their home last week. On Friday afternoon, there was a voice message from the insurance company stating that the boiler did not need to be replaced, nothing was leaking or dangerous, and they would not pay a claim for replacement. The boiler insurance is thru Hartford.

At this point, I told them to hold off on getting the new system installed. Are they getting ripped off?
They are not wealthy, and $15,000 is a big chunk of their savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 12:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
What exactly did they fix for the CO leak? The main concern with a boiler is it starts leaking because it's usually not worth fixing, this has nothing to do with CO leak. I would ask them specifically what is wrong with it that it needs replacing.

You're between a rock and hard place because the insurance company is not necessarily going to tell you it needs replacing.

Prices vary by area but $15K is lot of money to install a boiler unless it's a huge house and there is mopre involved that boiler itself. That's the kind of price I might expect the full install of a boiler including pumps, controls, baseboard etc. I would definitely get some other estimates on that. If the house was built in the 90's I would assume they are just removing old one and attaching the new one. It's a one day job for two guys with a long lunch.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:06 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What exactly did they fix for the CO leak? The main concern with a boiler is it starts leaking because it's usually not worth fixing, this has nothing to do with CO leak. I would ask them specifically what is wrong with it that it needs replacing.

You're between a rock and hard place because the insurance company is not necessarily going to tell you it needs replacing.

Prices vary by area but $15K is lot of money to install a boiler unless it's a huge house and there is mopre involved that boiler itself. That's the kind of price I might expect the full install of a boiler including pumps, controls, baseboard etc. I would definitely get some other estimates on that. If the house was built in the 90's I would assume they are just removing old one and attaching the new one. It's a one day job for two guys with a long lunch.
I totally agree with thecoalmans appraisal and that home and house warranties are a waste of money!

Old 12-14-2019, 06:54 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I would get a totally different opinion on this. Get it inspected asap. You want peace of mind for your parents first and foremost.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The main concern with a boiler is it starts leaking because it's usually not worth fixing,.

To be clear I meant to say leaking water. A CO leak or flue gases leaking could be something as simple as bad flue pipe. Perhaps they saw something else that promoted the recommendation for replacement. Whatever the case find out what that is.

Another suggestion is find a plumber, if the company specializes HVAC they aren't plumbers. That's not to say they aren't competent for boilers but someone that deals with boilers mostly is who to look for.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:57 AM

163 posts, read 318,137 times
Thank you for your comments. We really do need to get another opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House