Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 07:09 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

As the title states..just who do you call to disconnect and remove a dishwasher ?

I'm not replacing it. I want to make better use of that space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 07:14 PM

1,185 posts, read 749,652 times
It’s a really easy thing to do. Couple of screws, a plug and a hose. If you’re not up for it, any handyman can do it.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
This is really easy to do.

The big thing it hard wired or does it have a regular plug? If there is visible plug unplug it. If you are unsure or it's hardwired you need to first turn off the breaker switch for it. Try and turn it on to make sure you have the electric disconnected before proceeding any further.

If it's connected under the sink for the drain disconnect that, usually just a clamp. If there is no regular plug to unplug you ebbed remove the bottom exterior panel, you should see a type of wire used to wire receptacles going into a box. You need to take the cover off off that box and disconnect the wiring and completely free the wire the box. If you do not see such wire skip this for the moment.

Open the washer and on the top insider there will bracket screwed to the underside of the countertop. Remove the screws. Try pulling it out but don't try and force anything. If it doesn't move check the inside of the washer sides where the door goes to see if any screws were used to attach it to the cabinets on either side. They may be covered by rubber plug. Try moving it out again but once again if it moves and gets hung up don't force it. At this point if you have removed the screws from the top and sides it should come out freely. If the hose is connected to adjacent sink you will probably need to feed some into the hole.

Once you have it completely out of the do quick look behind it but it should only be the hose left to feed completely through the hole.

Of course there is other ways the hose/wiring may be connected but these directions generally apply to any dishwasher even if the connections vary slightly.

You need to get cap for where the drain went. If it was hardwired you will need to figure out what you need to do with the wire. It may go to junction box, if so take off the plate, disconnect inside and completely remove it. Wire nut and tape the ends inside the box and replace the plate. If it goes directly to the panel or you can't find where it goes wire nut and tape the ends and you'll need to get an electrician at this point. Optionally you may want to research installing receptacle box which solves the problem and is functional

The breaker may be dedicated to the dishwasher, if so just leave it off.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:03 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Be sure there is a valve to turn off the water supply to the washer. Do that first.

I would call a handyman.

Once disconnected, it will be heavy to move.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Once disconnected, it will be heavy to move.

Dishwashers are very light and not too difficult to move even with one person. If it wasn't for the bulk the average person could probably just pick it up. Clothes washers on the other hand are very heavy because they have weights and other hardware used to dampen any off balance loads. Many of them literally have hunks of concrete inside.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:48 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Dishwashers are very light and not too difficult to move even with one person. If it wasn't for the bulk the average person could probably just pick it up. Clothes washers on the other hand are very heavy because they have weights and other hardware used to dampen any off balance loads. Many of them literally have hunks of concrete inside.
I guess you are not a petite female like I am. What is lightweight for you is heavy for me. There is no way I could maneuver it into my car to take to the dump.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I guess you are not a petite female like I am. What is lightweight for you is heavy for me. There is no way I could maneuver it into my car to take to the dump.

Even a manly man () like myself is going to have difficulty moving it any distance or into car because of it's size. It's bulky and awkward to move. Sliding it out from under the cabinet is something anyone should be able to do, even two lightweight women should be able to move it the rest of the way.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, as far as moving it, you use this new invention called "wheels". As far as I'm concerned every homeowner needs a two wheel dolly and a four wheel furniture dolly.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:13 AM

1,185 posts, read 749,652 times
Quote:
You actually could, most likely. The question would be “is it worth it” a couple hundred bucks for a handyman to yank it out and take it off to sell it might be better in some cases though. With the “retired” in the OP’s name, that could be the case as well.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:39 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
You actually could, most likely. The question would be “is it worth it” a couple hundred bucks for a handyman to yank it out and take it off to sell it might be better in some cases though. With the “retired” in the OP’s name, that could be the case as well.
To me, yes it is worth it. I'm a 110lb female. I live on the 2nd floor as well.
I do a lot of DIY myself but this is one thing I would rather pay for.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I think I'll hunt down a handyman for the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House