Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 01:18 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times

Advertisements

One of my bathrooms started out a pepto bismal color. It was painted in the 80s so no idea what type of paint was used. I primed it and painted using lates. Part of the paint peeled off of the wall, in a large piece right back down to that ugly, original, pink color.

Does anyone know why the paint didn't stick in this area? I'm wondering if I just didn't let it cure long enough before people started using the bathroom? The rest of the room is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 01:26 PM

1,185 posts, read 749,652 times
There could be tons of different reasons.

What kind of paint was on the walls previously?
What kind of primer was used?

Old 12-15-2019, 01:53 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Inadequate surface prep.

First thing you must do, is make sure the substrate is very very clean. There are a variety of ways to do this. Go to a paint store (NOT Home Despot or Lowe's, but an actual paint store) and get advice.

Unfortunately you'll probably need to try to scrape the stuff on there off - if much of it has peeled then you can expect more to do so. Anything you put on top of it's going to do the same.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:12 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post

OP said that is unknown.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:19 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default An Rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post

Yah. Scrape off a segment of the original pink paint & take it along. & the label off the primer, or the whole can, if that's more convenient.

Take both to a good paint store, & they can tell you what you need to do.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:01 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
The pink surface probably had oils (fingerprints) and other contamination that didn’t allow the primer to stick to it.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I'm thinking the pink walls were painted with oil paint. I guess scrape off some of the pink and take it to your paint retailer and ask for advice. You can't paint latex over oil without proper prep.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:04 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
A bathroom that has not been painted in years probably has a some reside and a film on the walls from years of moisture, humidity and it could be semigloss which would make adhesion a little more difficult.

I would lightly sand the walls and use a good latex primer paint to bond and help cover the existing color.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Tri Sodium Phosphate, otherwise known as TSP used to wash the walls, once the latest coat of latex is removed will probably clean/etch the old paint enough to allow a new coat of paint to adhere. Is there an abnormal amount of steam/moisture trapped in the room during bathing ? Is there adequate ventilation ?

I have the same situation, excess moisture, no exhaust fan and a previous owner painting latex over oil, probably with no surface prep....(the same guy who placed a new metal roof, with no flashing) it's on my honey do list, but I'm not keen on placing the exhaust vent on the outside wall, my only option.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-16-2019, 07:56 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Tri Sodium Phosphate, otherwise known as TSP used to wash the walls, once the latest coat of latex is removed will probably clean/etch the old paint enough to allow a new coat of paint to adhere. Is there an abnormal amount of steam/moisture trapped in the room during bathing ? Is there adequate ventilation ?

I have the same situation, excess moisture, no exhaust fan and a previous owner painting latex over oil, probably with no surface prep....(the same guy who placed a new metal roof, with no flashing) it's on my honey do list, but I'm not keen on placing the exhaust vent on the outside wall, my only option.

Regards
Gemstone1
That’s how it works, oil has a great sealed and washable surface, that being the case it should always be treated or roughed up prior to receiving a new coat of paint❗️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House