Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 05:39 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewellman View Post
Some of this stuff makes me laugh out loud. I live in an old, house-close-together neighborhood that's been working class for a hundred years until recently, when the first waves of gentrifiers started poking their long pointed noses in. I've lived here for twenty years, and I have never cared the least bit what my neighbors' houses look like.

I don't worry too much about my yard -- it's only eight feet from the street, so there isn't much to bother with anyway. I don't fuss with a garden, and I don't mow what little grass I have more than once a month or so during the summer, because I live alone and work three jobs. I hang my washing on a clothesline in the backyard because I don't have a dryer and wouldn't want one anyway. If people don't like the sight of my fat white underpants blowing in the wind, they're welcome to look the other way. And if the gentrifiers don't think I'm up to their bourgie standards, they're free to go live someplace else. I'm not going anywhere.
I wish they would point their noses at my area. They can have it- too much growth but not in a good way. So much for quiet small town living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 06:05 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Yeah - I have had one of those neighbors.... in the past. It's been pretty quiet there the last couple of years since the daughter and her kids finally moved out. Apparently most of the police visits were for her.

So sometimes, you can wait and they move out. Alternately, I suppose sometimes they move in. If you want to control everyone in the neighborhood, HOA neighborhoods can at least look nice and tidy.... of course, then they're in your business too.

Course he's always had a well kept yard... Even when the felon and her unsavory boyfriends used to visit. So does the place with the dogs that are always getting out. Beautiful yard, Looks tidy, obnoxious dogs. The nicest people on our road, the ones you would actually want to have around if the SHTF, have the messiest yards. Sometimes the things that make people bad neighbors aren't the cosmetic issues.

I'm not sure there is a place where one can guarantee no riff raff... So it depends on how wide an area you need to control.

Life in a free country is messy.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:03 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I think that is why so many people are opting to live in communities with some sort of built-in sub-local authority......you have THAT NEIGHBOR in so very many areas, people very much want to avoid their nonsense.

You live in joe-blow neighborhood, you WILL have THAT NEIGHBOR nearly 100% of the time.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:26 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I have a few neighbors who are obnoxious (6 cars parked on the street 24/7, never maintain their yard, marital or other family issues that spill outside the house, etc), and there were a few at my last house too. I don't want to sound snobby, but I would expect less if we lived in a lower income area.

We've talked about moving a 3rd time, a small reason being the neighbors. After talking to some friends about my neighbors, they all had their own story about a crazy neighbor.

Is there anyone who lives in close proximity to a lot of houses who has absolutely no complaints about any of the neighbors? Does the perfect neighborhood exist? Sometimes I want to move, and sometimes I think we should just stick it out for another decade because it could be much worse.
And these people never seem to move, while you and your neighbors cycle out every few years. Funny how that works.

Our neighbors are great. Any bickering is saved for NextDoor and is kept between two families, neither of which are mine. I'm okay with it.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:26 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
And these people never seem to move, while you and your neighbors cycle out every few years. Funny how that works.

Our neighbors are great. Any bickering is saved for NextDoor and is kept between two families, neither of which are mine. I'm okay with it.
This is my problem with crammed neighborhoods. Problems between anyone can become your problem...then there’s nosy people, gossipy people, complain about everything people, people that talk too much, turn everything into the HOA people, skimp on cutting grass people, too many kids running around people, loud dogs people, etc, etc.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:28 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
This is my problem with crammed neighborhoods. Problems between anyone can become your problem...then there’s nosy people, gossipy people, complain about everything people, people that talk too much, turn everything into the HOA people, skimp on cutting grass people, too many kids running around people, loud dogs people, etc, etc.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...t-perfect.html

Old 12-23-2019, 07:57 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
I have not complaints now and feel fortunate.

But, years ago, one of my neighbors would steal my newspaper before I got to it in the morning. Soooo, for several weeks, I took dog feces (I had a big dog then ), wrapped it in an old newspaper and stuck the paper in the delivery box. Neighbor dude would drive by early in the morning, pull the newspaper quickly into his car, and, well, you can guess what happen. That was the end of that.
LMAO. That was good. But what kind of idiot steals someone else's newspaper???? How low can you get?

Old 12-23-2019, 08:22 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
In the house we're trying to buy we did like 65 drive by's at all hours. First thing was to check the neighbors yard maintaining habits and the cars in their driveways. This will tell you A LOT!!

The only annoying is apparently a neighbor down the street owns a landscaping company so at night there's big trucks on the street a little down. They are gone during the day. Upside is cheaper tree installation, lol.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:23 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LMAO. That was good. But what kind of idiot steals someone else's newspaper???? How low can you get?
We don't have a lot of this sort of stuff in our neighborhood, but over time, more often than not, it's not who we "think" is responsible for stuff like this. Often times it ends up being someone, for instance, who could afford 100 newspapers.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:55 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
I have a few of them. My unkempt yard neighbor is very quiet. No drama at all, just apathy. Then there is the tacky house, they think their place looks great because it is maintained, but with year round Christmas lights, multiple flags, and all kinds of plastic décor thingies, it looks stupid. Then there is the house where the wife keeps it nice with flowers but the husband "tinkers with cars".

Everyone seems to have so much stuff. The younger people are sporty and have ATVs, bikes, RVs, boats, trucks, the older ones have Harleys and muscle cars. Everyone has snow blowers and riding mowers and chain saws. So much big ass stuff, not enough room to store it.

Still the worst to me is barking dogs. There are none now, but when I lived in an area further spread out, there were several who barked all day so there was just never any peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House