Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 05:51 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,998,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I lived in a nice neighborhood in California for 20+ years. My neighbors were all friendly. Then behind my house, a dog appeared that barked frantically for 6-8 hours straight, daily. As it turned out, the dog belonged to the homeowner's daughter who live elsewhere in an apartment. She couldn't leave the dog at the apartment, barking, so she dropped it off at her mom's house every day on her way to work. No one was home until 9pm or later, and I got home at 3pm. I called the police repeatedly, to no avail. My next-door neighbors sold their house and moved because of this dog. A few times I even had to take a sleeping pill to get any sleep.

Then I had a Eureka Moment! Why am I the one taking the sleeping pill?

I threw treats to the dog over several days, then switched to treats with sleeping pills inside. A half sleeping pill knocked her out for hours. Finally some relief!

I warn everyone here do not give a neighbors dog a sleeping pill or any other kind of pill . Because if that dog dies you can and will be held liable for the dogs death and it some parts of the country that is jail time . Please just walk around and ask the folks to please keep the dog inside or take the dog on a long walk before they leave for work jeeze .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 05:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,998,325 times
We live in a neighborhood with quarter acre yards all fenced in and I like my neighborhood . Since I was the first one here to sort of set the standard so to speak everyone keeps their yard up now . I set the standard by keeping my yard clean and mowed and I also like to have a landscaped yard / But yes we all have that neighbor .

Old 12-24-2019, 08:17 AM

1,159 posts, read 613,375 times
I'm in a pretty good neighborhood. A lot of renters. People are quiet and keep to themselves. I see kids playing in the street.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:38 AM

18,754 posts, read 11,739,079 times
It's unfortunate when ignorant people ruin a neighborhood. We've been on our block for over 30 years now. I've watched the young woman in the town house marry, have a baby, divorce and have rather obnoxious parties with people peeing in the street by their car. I got into a back and forth with his drunk girlfriend who thought it was perfectly fine for his personal parts to be exposed in public.

There was a loud ruckus a few doors down with a brother-in-law beating up his wife's brother in the street. The guy was a drunk and he ran into our neighbor's son's car and did quite a bit of damage. Their neighbors had a Jack Russell Terrier named Lucy that I bonded with. I was one of the few people that could pet her, but we loved each other and it broke my heart the first time I saw him walking alone.

The neighbor across the street does not maintain his property. He has a chocolate lab that howls so loud she wakes me up in the morning. Ruby and I are great friends and have had many conversations across the fence. I remember how crazy her and her sister were. The two of them were inseparable. Unfortunately the sister died young and Ruby was never the same. She suffers from an extreme case of separation anxiety. It doesn't make me mad when she wakes me up too early, it breaks my heart because I just want to go and give her a hug.

There is a single mom raising 3 kids in the two flat two doors down from me. They are Hispanic and there are a lot of people living in the apartment. People come and go at all hours and her son hangs around with kids that look ghetto. The property has so many code violations that it's close to being condemned. The kids were 4, 7, and 10 when they moved there with their gang banger father who left the family shortly after they moved in. I got to know the kids, and the girl would spend the night with us when the two sister's came from where one of the rental properties was. They were neighbors and we got to know them quite well when we were out there working on the house. The youngest boy in the apartment two doors down and my husband share the same birthday. We were with him for a few years on his birthday. I got to know the whole family and the ghetto looking kids. They're all very nice and there is a lot of love in that awful apartment. It's breaking my heart that they are moving, maybe out of state. The girl is smart and graduated high school early. She is going to college soon. I've grown very close to her boyfriend as well. I can't wrap my head around them not coming for movie and pizza night. We would play Monopoly well into the early morning hours.

I'm glad we didn't move because of the neighbors. They are why we stay. The single mom across the street in the town house raising her now 8 year old daughter lets her spend the night when our friend's come with their 7 year old. They are both only children and have grown fond of each other. I love having them in the house and look forward to a couple more years when they are old enough to spend the night without parents. Just like my 3 girls. I miss those days. They have Lenny, a French Bulldog puppy that I am helping them raise. I take him 5 days a week for 4 or 5 hours a day to help her. She's talking about moving because of her new neighbors in the town house next to her.
The crazy drunk guy down the street doesn't drink anymore. His mother was one of my patients at the LTACH where I worked. I got to know them a whole lot better. Guess who they would run down to every time they were freaked out when mother came home on a ventilator? Yep it was me. The father just died recently. They were really nice people. I tried to keep it quiet that I lived down the street from them but the sister was at many of my Halloween parties with her son and she recognized me right away and spilled the beans. Doh!
You can judge people by a snippet of their life good or bad, or you can take the time to get to know them. We all have bad days and snippets in our life we would love to keep private. Don't we?

You could move and have an entirely different set of problems. I'm glad we stayed because all of these issues has just melted away into a bigger, better picture. I love our neighborhood, good and bad. The best neighbors in the world next to us will be joining us for dinner tonight. We are like family now. They will be bringing a friend that has nowhere to go. The 7 year old and her parents will be spending the night. Santa comes here for her and I'm hoping the single mom and her daughter will stop by. I'll be getting Lenny real soon. We have no family so these connections are important to me. The neighbor across the ally dropped off some of her exquisite home made Christmas cookies. She's married to a retired cop from our town who needed meds a long time ago. I still love him even though most around here don't. That's another story you need a long time for.
Merry Christmas everyone. Be kind to those who need it and even to those that don't.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:48 AM

213 posts, read 155,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Did it ever occur to you that you might be "that neighbor?" Counting cars parked on a public roadway is a very good start. Expecting others to maintain their property to your standards is another clue.

Exactly.

And this is why HOAs are so dangerous. All it takes are a few busybodies that don't like the 'look' of a few houses, and next thing you know, they're on the HOA board threatening everyone with fines if their yard/car situation isn't exactly to their liking. The vast majority of people don't care to be involved in local HOA politics or they are too busy to sit in boring meetings at night, so the few power-hungry jerks can easily take control. The HOA can quickly morph from easygoing to a nightmare.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:09 AM

11,022 posts, read 6,568,828 times
In the hills of ritzy Orange, CA, the neighbor's goat would come over and stand on my dad's collectible 1955 Lincoln Continentals. He asked me to capture it and we dropped it off at the dump. Goat heaven!

Acreage is no relief either. On our 5 acres in Utah, the paralyzed veteran across the street had a dog that barked all night long while he was out playing poker. Wish I'd thought of the sleeping pills---great idea!

HE got mad the other neighbor and piled up his colostomy bags along their barbed-wire dividing fence. He shot his guns and roared his 4-wheeler all over the place too. Once threatened to shoot us. He wrote an email saying he was going to murder all the neighbors and make us dig our own graves.

LOL. He conveniently died about the time we left.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:17 AM

11,022 posts, read 6,568,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Once upon a time as our city expanded, the urban planners thought it wise to plop low rental units among mid-class to upper class houses. Was this for diversity? Was it because the land went for a good price? don't know.

The difference is very sad as you drive down the one street I have to go along to get to my brother's house.

One side is well maintained, the other side is a line of about 12 row houses and a few rows beyond them. They are littered with toys, broken lawn chairs, garbage and where a flower garden might not be half bad near the house, they place whirly birds, gawdy plastic flowers, and tacky flamingos on a stick.

I wouldn't want to live across the street from that disgusting sight.
"Flamingos on a stick"! LOL. "Fat white underpants"! Dog feces in newspapers. You guys are too funny.

I sure got my morning laugh reading this thread today. Coffee snort.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:44 AM

19,441 posts, read 12,083,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
In the hills of ritzy Orange, CA, the neighbor's goat would come over and stand on my dad's collectible 1955 Lincoln Continentals. He asked me to capture it and we dropped it off at the dump. Goat heaven!

Acreage is no relief either. On our 5 acres in Utah, the paralyzed veteran across the street had a dog that barked all night long while he was out playing poker. Wish I'd thought of the sleeping pills---great idea!

HE got mad the other neighbor and piled up his colostomy bags along their barbed-wire dividing fence. He shot his guns and roared his 4-wheeler all over the place too. Once threatened to shoot us. He wrote an email saying he was going to murder all the neighbors and make us dig our own graves.

LOL. He conveniently died about the time we left.

LOL, gotta love goats.

That other neighbor put the C in Cray-cray.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:06 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,837,452 times
^^^
Yeah, I think you are far more likely to experience the real nutcases “I’ll overtly go out of my way to make everyone else’s life a living hell” out in the country rather than in the city where most people are conditioned to live calmly next to others.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:23 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,941,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I have a few of them. My unkempt yard neighbor is very quiet. No drama at all, just apathy. Then there is the tacky house, they think their place looks great because it is maintained, but with year round Christmas lights, multiple flags, and all kinds of plastic décor thingies, it looks stupid. Then there is the house where the wife keeps it nice with flowers but the husband "tinkers with cars".

Everyone seems to have so much stuff. The younger people are sporty and have ATVs, bikes, RVs, boats, trucks, the older ones have Harleys and muscle cars. Everyone has snow blowers and riding mowers and chain saws. So much big ass stuff, not enough room to store it.

Still the worst to me is barking dogs. There are none now, but when I lived in an area further spread out, there were several who barked all day so there was just never any peace.
I never hear dogs. Myself and several neighbors have them, but none of them bark at each other. Thank you for making me feel better about my neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Did it ever occur to you that you might be "that neighbor?" Counting cars parked on a public roadway is a very good start. Expecting others to maintain their property to your standards is another clue.
Ehhh I don't think so. I'm friendly with everyone, and they all wave at me. I just wish they'd take some pride in their properties. One guy recently got a brand new roof and mounted a satelite dish about 3 feet above the front door instead of in the back.

We'll probably stick around longterm for the great nearby school. Thanks for the replies, All.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House