Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 09:34 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

I like a decently sized yard.

Half acre minimum — preferably .75+. I don’t like anything bigger than an acre due to maintenance/won’t use it all.

With established shrubs and trees I believe this is just enough space for privacy and a small buffer against hearing every pin drop from neighbors. There’s a huge difference between neighborhoods with .5 acre spacing and say those with 0.15 acre spacing. Too much land concerns me in regards to safety due to no one being able to keep an eye out.

When I’ve lived on half+ lots, weeks could pass where all I have is a passing glance of neighbors mowing the lawn or something.

I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach when I looked at homes with lots listed in square footage. At one home, I even saw a few neighbors arguing in the street - in what was a solidly middle class ‘hood in a good area.

So how do you folks on postage stamp lots deal with it? Do you just mentally train yourself to not notice your neighbors so much? I’d feel like 10 people could be watching me every time I go outside. Maybe 20 if I cut grass with my shirt off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 10:21 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,355,291 times
I had 6 acres for 20 years. I loved rural living, for most of those years. I simply got tired of working the land. Now, I'm a city dweller and thoroughly enjoy it. My neighbors and the neighborhood are wonderful. I notice my neighbors and could not care any less than I do if they "watch" me. It won't change a thing I do. When I'm outside, which is often, multiple neighbors stop and chat. It's enjoyable and relaxing. We help each other and watch out for each other. It's a good thing.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:01 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
The old house is on a postage stamp lot. From my laundry room I can see into the neighbor's kitchen.

The new house is on .8 acre with block walls all around, fully landscaped. I know that in theory I have neighbors but I rarely hear or see them. The house is well-insulated and soundproofed, but I don't hear them outside, either. Being a little hard of hearing helps.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:40 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Lot size isn't everything... I had a .75 acre lot with my last house, and 5' spacing between my house and one to the right. I was almost on the road too, and it'd been that was since it was built in 1930. All of the lot was back yard, narrow and long.

So, if you want "spacing", look Further than just lot size. And yes, I understand that without the size, you can never have spacing.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:09 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I like a decently sized yard.

Half acre minimum — preferably .75+. I don’t like anything bigger than an acre due to maintenance/won’t use it all.

With established shrubs and trees I believe this is just enough space for privacy and a small buffer against hearing every pin drop from neighbors. There’s a huge difference between neighborhoods with .5 acre spacing and say those with 0.15 acre spacing. Too much land concerns me in regards to safety due to no one being able to keep an eye out.

When I’ve lived on half+ lots, weeks could pass where all I have is a passing glance of neighbors mowing the lawn or something.

I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach when I looked at homes with lots listed in square footage. At one home, I even saw a few neighbors arguing in the street - in what was a solidly middle class ‘hood in a good area.

So how do you folks on postage stamp lots deal with it? Do you just mentally train yourself to not notice your neighbors so much? I’d feel like 10 people could be watching me every time I go outside. Maybe 20 if I cut grass with my shirt off.
I totally agree and share your minimal requirement of a full half acre with houses appropriately spaced and preferably with shrubs and landscaping as screens to minimize the view of adjacent houses!

Cluster housing is not my preference!

Old 12-22-2019, 07:29 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
No, I'd rather have just a humble, honest paid-off home with some dings and scratches. No need to put on airs.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:29 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
I'm getting tired of having 3/4 an acre with mature trees. I spend several hours each week mowing then (if I get it done) another couple hours trimming. When it isn't mowing it is collecting leaves and pine needles Right now I am looking out at the yard knowing that I need to do leaves again next week. (Oaks drop leaves until mid January).

On top of that there is the cost of tree maintenance. About $1500 a year just in spray and feed and average about $1000 a year in trimming and pruning ( that comes in chunks every few years when I get a $3-5000 bill when the tree company takes over my yard for 3-5 days.

I'm looking at replacing fences now. My current fencing ranges from 16-30 years in age and I know I should bite the bullet and replace it all but am dreading the cost.

Don't get me wrong I love my house and yard but it does require work and investment.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:42 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
My house was originally on 1/8 acre. But, the owner of the house to the north demolished it and--eventually--sold me the lot. So now I have 1/4 acre to work on.

When I just had the 1/8 acre, I used a reel mower. It was fun, and good exercise. But now I use a battery powered mower. Every spring and fall, I plant a few more perennials, and/or trees on that lot. So, I'm continually reducing the amount of grass I have to mow.

Maybe it's because my neighborhood was originally upscale, but our houses are relatively private, despite being 10' from each other. The windows and room functions are situated so that you can't see into the neighboring houses.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I have 0.21 acre lot on a private lane 200 feet off the street. All my neighbors have bigger lots so I get pretty good seclusion without having to pay the property taxes on a larger lot. The town values the land my house sits on at about $200k. Most of my neighbors pay twice the property tax on their bigger lots. It would be nice to have an acre but that would probably triple my property tax bill. As a recent retiree, it’s good to know that I won’t ever be taxed out of my house.

Old 12-22-2019, 10:24 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
More land=more work

I'm done with yard work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House