Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 02:07 AM

17 posts, read 3,867 times

Advertisements

I’ve got an issue I’ve got a dual 150 RO filter system with water pump to improve efficiency. The water in comes from a spigot and garden hose. The waste water goes to a sump pump. The RO water fills a trash can (reservoir$ with a float switch to cut it off. When the reservoir is full and the float switch cuts off the RO waste is continuing run endlessly. That’s not suppose to happen and I’ve got no idea what’s wrong. There is a pressure gauge that’s connected to the RO system that must be broken because it reads zero whether the reservoir is full or not.

At the moment I’m turn the system on and off Manually I’ve replaced all my filters and membranes in an attempt to fix this but it didn’t change anything. So I don’t know what else to check or an internal part that may have wore out? My system is roughly 6 years old and puts out clean water. I can’t believe the whole system needs to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 04:36 AM

23,616 posts, read 70,539,170 times
The float switch - is it like a toilet float to cut off the water supply feeding the RO system, or electric to cut off the pump? I think you can see where I'm heading and take it from there..

Old 11-14-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The float switch - is it like a toilet float to cut off the water supply feeding the RO system, or electric to cut off the pump? I think you can see where I'm heading and take it from there..
It’s like an old toilet float that had the arm and “ball”. But what I have is I whole near the top of the trash can. The water flows through this and runs out under the float. It only sticks out from the side about 2 inches. Once the float it triggered it cut the flow of water in the right before the float. The float and cut off are one in the same. I’m not sure what cuts the booster pump off other than the pressure built up by the water being cut off at the float

Old 11-14-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
This is the first thing that popped up in a google search that looks exactly like my float switch

https://hydrobuilder.com/hydroponics...SABEgLFQfD_BwE

Old 11-14-2019, 05:12 AM

This is looks like my system

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-sta...ef-supply.html

The booster pump looks like this

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mani...a-658300522252

Old 11-14-2019, 05:53 AM

The key is WHERE the water gets cut off. If you are cutting it off on one of the two outlets that an RO system has, there is still water pressure on the membrane. Now do you see where I am trying to guide you?

Old 11-14-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
The key is WHERE the water gets cut off. If you are cutting it off on one of the two outlets that an RO system has, there is still water pressure on the membrane. Now do you see where I am trying to guide you?
No or I wouldn’t be looking for help. But now that I’ve looked at these pics and thought about Im leaning towards the water “circuit?” In the wiring of the booster pump.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg71 View Post
I’ve got an issue I’ve got a dual 150 RO filter system with water pump to improve efficiency. The water in comes from a spigot and garden hose. The waste water goes to a sump pump. The RO water fills a trash can (reservoir$ with a float switch to cut it off. When the reservoir is full and the float switch cuts off the RO waste is continuing run endlessly. That’s not suppose to happen and I’ve got no idea what’s wrong. There is a pressure gauge that’s connected to the RO system that must be broken because it reads zero whether the reservoir is full or not.

At the moment I’m turn the system on and off Manually I’ve replaced all my filters and membranes in an attempt to fix this but it didn’t change anything. So I don’t know what else to check or an internal part that may have wore out? My system is roughly 6 years old and puts out clean water. I can’t believe the whole system needs to be replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OK, I'll spell it out.

Think of the RO membrane as a window screen slanted at about 45 degrees from vertical about two feet off the ground that you drop dirt on. The dirt lands on top of the screen, slides, and the larger clumps and pebbles go off the edge of a cliff. The area under the screen has a box for the screened sand that has fallen through the screen. That box can be completely filled and a cover applied.

The dirty water coming in to your RO is the dirt being dropped on the screen, the screened sand in the box is your good water, and the excess dirt falling off the cliff is the waste water.

You have to stop the dirt before the screen to prevent it from continuing to fall off the top of the screen when the box is full. Covering the box (or closing the good water outlet) won't do anything.

Once you somehow rig your float valve to close off the water flow to the inlet side of the RO system, the continuing waste water drip will eventually stop, once the pressure drops enough.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
OK, I'll spell it out.

Think of the RO membrane as a window screen slanted at about 45 degrees from vertical about two feet off the ground that you drop dirt on. The dirt lands on top of the screen, slides, and the larger clumps and pebbles go off the edge of a cliff. The area under the screen has a box for the screened sand that has fallen through the screen. That box can be completely filled and a cover applied.

The dirty water coming in to your RO is the dirt being dropped on the screen, the screened sand in the box is your good water, and the excess dirt falling off the cliff is the waste water.

You have to stop the dirt before the screen to prevent it from continuing to fall off the top of the screen when the box is full. Covering the box (or closing the good water outlet) won't do anything.

Once you somehow rig your float valve to close off the water flow to the inlet side of the RO system, the continuing waste water drip will eventually stop, once the pressure drops enough.
Got it so the problem has to be at or near the booster pump because it can’t enter the system before the booster or it wouldn’t do its job Thank you. I mounted it 6 years ago and didn’t even think about that switch near the pump being the cut off. But it makes perfect sense THANK YOU

Old 11-14-2019, 10:46 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,409,172 times
Yeah I agree- best to cut off the inlet, not just the clean outlet.

My undersink RO has a pressure-controlled cutoff where whenever the storage tank fills with clean water and the pressure matches or nears the inlet pressure, the inlet side shuts off. So it's a product that exists. Unfortunately I can't find it separately- it came with the system. This would work in conjunction with your current shutoff setup I believe, since the clean water line would pressure after your float switch shuts it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House