Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2023, 07:56 PM

867 posts, read 721,273 times

Advertisements

Might planting a barrier of trees help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 08:36 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I would say no because, bottom line, she clearly wants to control how this neighbor heats his house to comply with her views and values.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:15 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
He has suggested that. I have my doubts that the smoke wouldn’t just come through them.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:17 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would say no because, bottom line, she clearly wants to control how this neighbor heats his house to comply with her views and values.
I actually don’t care how anyone hears their house until it impedes on my health and house. His smoke is inside my house. He even agreed that he doesn’t even get this much smoke in his house. That’s the problem.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:27 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I actually don’t care how anyone hears their house until it impedes on my health and house. His smoke is inside my house. He even agreed that he doesn’t even get this much smoke in his house. That’s the problem.
The only thing I could think of - is that his chimney is too short?
Is it metal?

Adding a few feet may/could solve the problem: short chimneys don’t have a good draft and the wood burns inefficiently- creating smoke.
If your house is in the valley - it may drift on certain calm days.

Still, it doesn’t make sense that the house so far away would send a concentrated smoke and “fill” your house - something is really off if true

What did fire department say when they came?

House/chimney inspector should chime in first before you spend money on attorney.

Please, keep us posted regarding the developments.

P.S. it caught my attention that on one hand you say that the house smoky and at the same time you are saying that you don’t go outside at all ?

How often time wise - hours a day the chimney is discharging smoke?
Can you see his chimney from your house?

If your house is built very tight without a fresh air intake - you may suffer from indoor pollution not the smoke?

On the other hand if your house is built tight - how come your heating bill is $800?
Is it 10K square footage house?

If not - it looks like energy is very expensive where you live - your neighbor may have to burn wood out of necessity.

You say he makes more money than you - who is counting someone’s money - not nice - he may have very high other expenses?

Last edited by L00k4ward; 01-21-2023 at 04:38 AM..

Old 01-21-2023, 04:35 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
So in your smoke filled house..... all the smoke alarms go off every time he uses his fireplace? You've bought an air quality monitor the can quantify your complaints?

I still don't see how it's his fault, but I'm not sure this is an issue at all with the above to confirm it.

All my neighbors (and us), burn wood or pellets..... I can't smell a thing until I walk outside. And this is when every house is burning something for heat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-21-2023, 05:40 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/59983797-post131.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/59971824-post1.html

I thought this sounded familiar. She may have "two acres" but it's on a 40 foot frontage.

Old 01-21-2023, 06:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/59983797-post131.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/59971824-post1.html

I thought this sounded familiar. She may have "two acres" but it's on a 40 foot frontage.
Makes sense on both fronts. I still can’t believe the neighbor is burning only seasoned firewood. I am sure most of us have been around fireplaces in our lives and would notice pretty quickly if the wood was creating a lot of smoke.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:13 AM

867 posts, read 721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
He has suggested that. I have my doubts that the smoke wouldn’t just come through them.

You should have listened to him, IMO. It would create a windbreak, which, in your case, would function to send the flow of smokey air in another direction.

(Edited to add: if done properly, the air could be directed to fllow around your house rather than straight into it.)

Last edited by Archaic; 01-21-2023 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 01-21-2023, 07:27 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So in your smoke filled house..... all the smoke alarms go off every time he uses his fireplace? You've bought an air quality monitor the can quantify your complaints?

I still don't see how it's his fault, but I'm not sure this is an issue at all with the above to confirm it.

All my neighbors (and us), burn wood or pellets..... I can't smell a thing until I walk outside. And this is when every house is burning something for heat.
The op sounds like a control freak. I'll wager, there is no health issue at all involved here. I'll wager at least 90% of the time the smoke is blowing elsewhere. Next, there will be another new neighbor who has a cat............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House