Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 12:47 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Your only good option is to move to a neighborhood where no one burns wood. That's the only thing that is going to work for you.

You could plant trees to form a windbreak. A properly designed windbreak changes the direction of air flow and you can direct the air to flow up and over your house. Allow about 10 years or so for the trees to get big enough to change the flow of air. You have to plant the right kind of tree. Possibly your local extension agent is qualified to design a windbreak for you and usually their services are free.

Or you could complain a lot to people who can't do anything about it, if that makes you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 01:08 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Don't you? Maybe so. Maybe not. All things should be considered, including longevity.
There's really no such thing as a "legacy" resident.

This whole thing hasn't made sense, now going on two years.

The inside of the house is as smoky as "70's or 80's bar" when the neighbor lights his fireplace. As someone who spent a fair amount of time in bars back then that would be almost impossible to achieve from an outside fire unless the fire's right outside an open window against the house.

Apparently new windows have been installed, new siding (presumably with a wrap) has been installed, a new roof is in place. Using current codes that would make the house so airtight there would be a minimum of air exchange. The tightening up of houses the last couple decades has caused a large increase in environmental allergies from that airtightness. Maybe, just maybe, the problems aren't really from the smoke.

My house is over 100 years old with the original wooden framed windows. When my former neighbor burned his crap in his woodstove I never smelled it inside nor did any smoke enter my house, and I'm much closer than the situation here.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am trying to have a peaceful weekend home, catching up on laundry. But instead, I am suffering from a sinus headache because one of our neighbors burning some type of wood. The smoke smell is entering my house, despite that I have checked to make sure all the windows and doors are sealed tight.

A few years ago we had an energy audit and the house checked to make sure it was sealed. I have 2 1/2 acres, so not exactly on top of my neighbors.

I have allergies, asthma and lots of sinus issues. The wood smoke is not helping the situation. We heat the house by electric and a propane gas stove insert in our fireplace. Which are both very clean.

I know I can’t make them stop burning their stoves but I am going to hope that they will stop burning wood so I can stop suffering.
It's a pickle, but it isn't uncommon. Folks these days are not cognizant of which woods are good to burn for heat, and some will burn anything that burns. During last summer's wildfires, we bought two air-purifiers for our small living space, one for the main areas, the other to place between the three small bedrooms. I recommend them highly: coway air purifiers.
https://www.bestproductsreviews.com/...air-purifiers?

Old 01-21-2023, 01:28 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Don't you? Maybe so. Maybe not. All things should be considered, including longevity.
As long as a wood-burning stove is legal, why should longevity be considered? It's not a relevant factor.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:35 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Call the fire dep and report a fire...After you call them 10 or more time the issue will be solved.. The fire department MUST respond every time you report a fire
Ya after about time number 3 the caller is going to have a bigger problem than a "smoky house". We have a 1/3 of an acre and burn wood all the time and not one neighbor has complained.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's really no such thing as a "legacy" resident.

This whole thing hasn't made sense, now going on two years.

The inside of the house is as smoky as "70's or 80's bar" when the neighbor lights his fireplace. As someone who spent a fair amount of time in bars back then that would be almost impossible to achieve from an outside fire unless the fire's right outside an open window against the house.

Apparently new windows have been installed, new siding (presumably with a wrap) has been installed, a new roof is in place. Using current codes that would make the house so airtight there would be a minimum of air exchange. The tightening up of houses the last couple decades has caused a large increase in environmental allergies from that airtightness. Maybe, just maybe, the problems aren't really from the smoke.

My house is over 100 years old with the original wooden framed windows. When my former neighbor burned his crap in his woodstove I never smelled it inside nor did any smoke enter my house, and I'm much closer than the situation here.

The fact that you don't or didn't smell something is not relevant. The OP does. That's the point.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:54 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya after about time number 3 the caller is going to have a bigger problem than a "smoky house". We have a 1/3 of an acre and burn wood all the time and not one neighbor has complained.

Perhaps they aren't bothered by smoke. The OP is. That's the difference.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:56 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
The fact that you don't or didn't smell something is not relevant. The OP does. That's the point.
It's past "smelling", now it's the house is filled with smoke "like a 70's or 80's bar".

Old 01-21-2023, 02:59 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It’s 2-3 ft above his roof, I would guess. I go outside to work but once home I stay inside so
I am not exposed to the smoke outside, which is even more than inside. It discharges smoke most of the day and overnight. They keep it going constantly unless it’s warm. I can see his house and chimney. His house is closest to the room that gets the smokiest in our house. Our house is 4 levels including the basement. The top 2 floors get all the smoke. Nothing in the basement

We have a 5 bedroom, 3000 sq ft house. Two heat pumps but one in the attic is an electric heater, which I am told us expensive. Our electric bill is $200 all summer long with the ac running.

They burn wood because they like it and it’s cheaper.
Thanks for explaining - the height of the chimney is extremely important for a good draft, clean burn and for sending the smoke away from your house - up, up, up into the atmosphere.

When the chimney is short for the size of the wood stove - improper install - the smoke doesn’t go up, but sort of sideways - into the wind… your house/property could be affected.

If you buy any wood burning appliance - the manufacturer specifies the minimum chimney height.

For example - if the house in question is raised ranch and the stove is in the lowest level - technically - below the grade - even his chimney is 3 feet above the roof ridge - the highest point of the roof - it could still be not enough height for the chimney - as the the chimney may need to overcome that part of the house which sits below the grade.
Similar situation if the stove is in the basement.

Unfortunately, you can’t threaten someone into complying with your wishes.

Sorry, but you may need almost plead and beg and be nice to your neighbor to ask him to help you - as it would cost him time and maybe money.

So bake cookies… you could catch more bees with honey…

It is positive that he was responsive to you and came to your house trying to address your complaint
You said he even stopped burning trash - what a crazy idea to do that in the house? And told you he is burning well seasoned wood.

Maybe you could convince him to let someone experienced to look at his stove, the chimney and the install - that could be one of the things that could help

Old 01-21-2023, 03:10 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I went back to some of the OPs first posts. It seems there has been other problems with other neighbors. It doesn't mean the smoke isn't a legitimate gripe, but when a person has consist problems with others....

As someone whose neighbors all burn wood, as do I, it seems odd it could be getting into her house unless doors snd windows are open. Especially if it's thick enough to be visible. When my wood stove is burning, if I go outside it is sometimes possible to smell it, but not usually. It doesn't smell smoky inside at all.

I can't imagine that she will be able to legally force the neighbor to stop burning wood. I hope we get to hear the outcome of the case if it goes to court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House