Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 05:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We have laws against public drinking as described in some of your posts.
I can’t even drink any longer because of the medicines my allergist has me on to relieve some of these symptoms. I had a half a glass of wine December 13th and was hungover for two days. If I stop taking the medicine to drink, I get immediate issues like serious reactions and hives. If I stay on the medicine, it helps tremendously if we avoid known allergens and triggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 05:57 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
OP, the last thing you want is you ur home airtight. You need a certain amount of air exchange. How old is your home and central air system? In older homes they factor in the home breathing, air leaking in from various points. In newer sealed homes there is an outside air intake within the ventilation system. If your home has such an exchange system check to see if the outside air enters before or after the central air filter. If before then you’ll need to upgrade your central air filter. If the outside air intake is after the central air filter then call a professional installer for ideas to solve the issue. If your unit doesn’t have such an exchange the. Consider properly sized air purifiers. Another option is to upgrade your central air unit’s filter technology. Again, talk with a professional.

We have neighbors who burn wood in fireplaces and we don’t smell it within our home and they live next door less than 20 yards away. But when we step outside we can smell the smoke. Our home was built in 73.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:03 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
This one is laying across my driveway and through my 40’ flowerbed. To bury it they have to dig up my asphalt driveway, move the rock wall I just paid thousands to have stacked and cemented in place and dig up my flower bed. It is eventually going to be cut by the snow plow, snow blower or lawn mower.

I am going to have a nice polite conversation. If they stop burnt the stove, I will ignore the wire running through the yard. If not, I am fixing my ridiculously loud Harley motorcycle with the carb and screaming eagle kit so I can let it idle and rev it during prime times. I am also buying my son the atv he has been asking for and possibly one for me and we will turn the back yard into a fun track. I am also going to mount speakers off my deck so I can play the most obnoxious rap music all day long...

I promise I can make them equally miserable in their own homeZ
About time for the usual $$$ post. I am starting to wonder - you barely make it and boyfriend gives you a monthly stipend. Siding and roof need replacing, A/C does not work properly even with a live in HVAC tech. You may want to post in the finance forum how you manage all the cars, upscale neighborhood with the nearest town 15 miles, hanging out at hotel bars, ... . Now there is a Harley. What happened to no food in the house and no way to the store when your boy friend took a breather with the wrecked new truck?
You sound like a pretty miserable person who wants to share her misery and her fiction.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:23 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
About time for the usual $$$ post. I am starting to wonder - you barely make it and boyfriend gives you a monthly stipend. Siding and roof need replacing, A/C does not work properly even with a live in HVAC tech. You may want to post in the finance forum how you manage all the cars, upscale neighborhood with the nearest town 15 miles, hanging out at hotel bars, ... . Now there is a Harley. What happened to no food in the house and no way to the store when your boy friend took a breather with the wrecked new truck?
You sound like a pretty miserable person who wants to share her misery and her fiction.
emphasis on fiction

Old 01-06-2020, 06:24 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
The old neighbors heated with heating oil. They hadn’t burned the stove the entire time we lived there.

So this morning I woke up with the persistent cough and sinus infection. I am allergic to oak trees, have asthma and beginning stages of COPD so yes a compromised respiratory system. My allergist will day that smoke is one of my main triggers that causes my asthma flair ups.

I am going to ask them nicely to stop burning it if they want to live as peaceful neighbors. If not I have two exes that will say that I can be a benevolent **** if I choose to be. I can make them hate the home they just bought.
Just because your former neighbors didn't burn the woodstove doesn't mean your new neighbors can't. Heck, if I bought a house with a woodstove my expectation would be that I would be trying to lower my heating cost by using it as much as possible. Your health issues are yours to manage. The oak trees have been there all along, right - they didn't just spring up overnight, did they? So you've already had to deal with them allergy-wise for the time you've lived in the house. Now you just have an additional trigger to manage. Get a really good air purifier (or several) and tighten up/improve the house instead of buying expensive vehicles. It will pay off better in the end.

BTW, you can ask them nicely to stop burning wood, and they can respond just as nicely that they won't. Retaliating with measures that will make them "hate the home they just bought" will possibly bring charges of harassment for you or worse. You could even end up on an episode of "Fear Thy Neighbor". Just remember, poking the bear isn't a good idea if you don't know what the bear is bringing to the fight.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
OP, the last thing you want is you ur home airtight. You need a certain amount of air exchange. How old is your home and central air system? In older homes they factor in the home breathing, air leaking in from various points. In newer sealed homes there is an outside air intake within the ventilation system. If your home has such an exchange system check to see if the outside air enters before or after the central air filter. If before then you’ll need to upgrade your central air filter. If the outside air intake is after the central air filter then call a professional installer for ideas to solve the issue. If your unit doesn’t have such an exchange the. Consider properly sized air purifiers. Another option is to upgrade your central air unit’s filter technology. Again, talk with a professional.

We have neighbors who burn wood in fireplaces and we don’t smell it within our home and they live next door less than 20 yards away. But when we step outside we can smell the smoke. Our home was built in 73.
Our home was built in 1973 as well. We have (2) carrier infinity systems that were installed in 2011. Windows were installed about the same time. My fiancé does HVAC.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Your reading comprehension is a bit off. Spinning what I say to fit your narrative just makes you the idiot. Sure four years ago, fiancé and I fought lots about me paying for everything. He has since stepped up to be a team player and sends me money on his pay days.

We do live 15 miles from the nearest major town. We live very close, 3 miles to a small town that has a small car dealer, ice cream shop, gas station, a bank, library, subway, liquor store and a pet store.

We have had the Harley for three years. Not new... I have no idea what you are trying to say about the wrecked truck. My teenager wrecked his truck. **** happens. It is now fixed and a none issue. I do still need a roof and siding but we ran out of good weather. It’s going to have to be a spring project because contractors have stopped doing that kind of work outside.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Just because your former neighbors didn't burn the woodstove doesn't mean your new neighbors can't. Heck, if I bought a house with a woodstove my expectation would be that I would be trying to lower my heating cost by using it as much as possible. Your health issues are yours to manage. The oak trees have been there all along, right - they didn't just spring up overnight, did they? So you've already had to deal with them allergy-wise for the time you've lived in the house. Now you just have an additional trigger to manage. Get a really good air purifier (or several) and tighten up/improve the house instead of buying expensive vehicles. It will pay off better in the end.

BTW, you can ask them nicely to stop burning wood, and they can respond just as nicely that they won't. Retaliating with measures that will make them "hate the home they just bought" will possibly bring charges of harassment for you or worse. You could even end up on an episode of "Fear Thy Neighbor". Just remember, poking the bear isn't a good idea if you don't know what the bear is bringing to the fight.
We have air purifiers. I did that last year when I got really sick. We are also taken down all the trees that are close to the house.

I am going to ask them nicely to stop burning the wood stove. The old neighbors used heating oil. We have electric and a propane fireplace insert. It is not unreasonable for them to heat their very small split level with the hvac system that was just installed.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:04 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
This one is laying across my driveway and through my 40’ flowerbed. To bury it they have to dig up my asphalt driveway, move the rock wall I just paid thousands to have stacked and cemented in place and dig up my flower bed. It is eventually going to be cut by the snow plow, snow blower or lawn mower.

Is the line on your property or in a right of way along the road or a recorded utility easement? Just because it is across what you consider your yard does not mean it isn't the road right of way (usually much wider than the pavement it self) or a recorded utility easement. Around here the utility companies have been know to give a property owener a week to remove any obstruction from a recorded easement if they need access for routine work. For emergency work you can get as little as 5 minutes. I have seen sheds drug off to the side because they were in the easement. Cutting and patching asphalt driveways next to the road are routine.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
We have air purifiers. I did that last year when I got really sick. We are also taken down all the trees that are close to the house.

I am going to ask them nicely to stop burning the wood stove. The old neighbors used heating oil. We have electric and a propane fireplace insert. It is not unreasonable for them to heat their very small split level with the hvac system that was just installed.
It's also not unreasonable for them to use a feature of their home. What is unreasonable is you trying to assert some control over your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House