Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:57 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times

Advertisements

I noticed people upthread mentioned tankless water heaters. In theory they are a great idea, but I've read that they need "tuneups" on a regular basis by professionals.
Anyone have this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 11:45 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I noticed people upthread mentioned tankless water heaters. In theory they are a great idea, but I've read that they need "tuneups" on a regular basis by professionals.
My neighbor has two of them, one at each end of his house, had them installed about 10 years ago and has never serviced them at all, not even back flushing to remove any scale.

Mine was installed 3 years ago and the manufacturer recommends back flushing and shaking out/cleaning the filters at that point in time. That service will cost $150 unless I decide to do it myself. There are YouTube videos that show it step by step.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ed View Post
I have a 50 gal. electric water heater that was installed in 2010. It has never given enough hot water. After a 20 minute shower the water is cold and it takes about 40 minutes to recover enough for a 2nd shower. I have an oil burner and was thinking about eliminating the electric WH and installing a coil in the oil burner for hot water. I live in Suffolk County N.Y. which has some of the highest electric costs in the country.
1) Would converting to a coil in the oil burner more reliably provide hot water?
2) Would it be cheaper to operate?
3) What would it cost to make the conversion?
4) Would I be better off getting a bigger (80 gal) electric WH?

We're 2 adults in the house who each take 1 shower a day and we don't use much other hot water during the day beyond that. The problem has persisted since the unit was new. I replaced both elements with no change.
Well, most shower heads are about 2-2.5 gallons per min. If you take a 20 min shower, that's about 40-50 gallons of hot water. So it make sense if you have a 2nd shower it will use up 50 in less than 20mins.

It also depends on the efficiency. If it can keep water temp at a high temp and how much hot water can it make to allow for continuous hot water.

In this case the best thing to do is to increase to a 60 gallon+ unit.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
In many areas, and perhaps particularly the OPs case, electric resistance heat is the most expensive common heating method. If you are getting those 'stolen' BTUs for the HPWH from oil, an ASHP, or... coal, it's likely going to work out as a net win. Even more so considering the geothermal effect mentioned, and the fact that Winter isn't year-round.

It's not if you can heat the water directly with that fuel to begin with. It will always be less efficient and more costly compared than using your primary heating fuel. You already have energy expense of putting it into the room, expending more energy to put it into the water will always result in more energy expense than heating it directly.

In other words if you had electric heat you are putting 3000 BTU's of energy into the room and using 1000 BTU's to put it into the water (Note these are example numbers). That is 4000 BTU's. Heating the water directly with the electic heater only uses 3000 BTU's of energy.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
My opinion on the tank-less heaters: They sounded like a really good idea until I considered that the first thing I do when the power goes out for more than a few minutes is... take a shower! Because you'll never know when it will be back on.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:23 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
I have a 50 gal. electric water heater that was installed in 2010. It has never given enough hot water. After a 20 minute shower the water is cold and it takes about 40 minutes to recover enough for a 2nd shower. I have an oil burner and was thinking about eliminating the electric WH and installing a coil in the oil burner for hot water. I live in Suffolk County N.Y. which has some of the highest electric costs in the country.
1) Would converting to a coil in the oil burner more reliably provide hot water?

We're 2 adults in the house who each take 1 shower a day and we don't use much other hot water during the day beyond that. The problem has persisted since the unit was new. I replaced both elements with no change.
Why anyone would install an electric water heater on Long Island is beyond me; it's not like having among the highest rates in the country is a new thing here. Assuming gas service is not available in your area, replace your heater with an oil fired one that will supply your needs and save you money. Tankless may also be a way to go but may require significant replumbing.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:40 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

In this case the best thing to do is to increase to a 60 gallon+ unit.

before spending money on a bigger unit, I have two suggestions....

1 - take much shorter showers. What are you possibly doing for 20 minutes? I am not attempting to be efficient, but I am able to wash and condition my long hair, shave my legs, and wash every part of my body in about 5-6 minutes. When I deep condition my hair weekly, and have to leave it on for five minutes, I pumice my feet and the whole thing takes 10 minutes.

but a better option may be....

2 - shower WITH your wife. More efficient and hopefully you will both love the added benefits!

Old 01-07-2020, 09:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
before spending money on a bigger unit, I have two suggestions....

1 - take much shorter showers. What are you possibly doing for 20 minutes? I am not attempting to be efficient, but I am able to wash and condition my long hair, shave my legs, and wash every part of my body in about 5-6 minutes. When I deep condition my hair weekly, and have to leave it on for five minutes, I pumice my feet and the whole thing takes 10 minutes.
2 - shower WITH your wife. More efficient and hopefully you will both love the added benefits!
I agree. Teenage boys take 20 minute showers to "take care of business". Who else needs to stay in the shower that long?

Old 01-07-2020, 10:53 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
You suppose to flash electric tankless once a year with the vinegar for 45 min- especially if you have hard water.
Tiny pump one can buy and a 5 gal bucket for Vinegar recirculating
Might need to do mine just in case as it is going to be 6 years without any flashing..

Gas tankless may need more maintenance perhaps as any gas appliances

Old 01-08-2020, 09:02 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:

First thing I would do is go look at your water heater settings. It sounds like it’s set at vacation setting or at low 90* temp setting.

Either that or you have a underground water leak in a pipe. But your water consumption would be astronomical and you would of had a issue by now

Last edited by Electrician4you; 01-08-2020 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House