Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 02:21 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times

Advertisements

We had this problem because the floor drain in the basement laundry room and the shower in the basement were lower than the top of the manhole in the street. When the sewer in the street got clogged the water would back up into our basement. There was a manhole in the street in front of our house and I used to use a flashlight in the cover holes to judge how high the sewer water level was. On one occasion when the sewage started to come up in the basement I hooked up a pump and a hose into the back yard and dumped about 5,000 gallons of sewage out a basement window into the back yard. The problem was eventually solved when the city cleaned out the sewer line via a second manhole about a block downstream. That was the one that would get clogged and cause the sewer line to overflow into my basement. So bottom line, when the water in the manhole in front of my house would rise I'd check the level in the manhole and call the city to flush the line in the street. Chances are it's not your waste backing up in your basement but the waste of others on the block when the sewer line in the street gets clogged. I don't think it's your garbage disposal of your sewer line. It's gravity, and your basement must be the lowest point in the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 02:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post

I hooked up a pump and a hose into the back yard and dumped about 5,000 gallons of sewage out a basement window into the back yard.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 1,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Storm water has nothing to do with your sewer water (sanitary line) and the sewer lines are piped solid so that any ground water or storm water cannot infiltrate unless your sewer pipe has a break in it.
This is not necessarily true. Many older cities have combined storm and sanitary sewer systems. It's not done anymore but it used to be.

Also, it isn't uncommon for sewer pipes to leak. If the pipes are below the groundwater table water will get into the sewer pipes. In some places this is a big problem.

I agree with the other posters that the OP's problem is most likely the city sewer backing up and causing the sewage to daylight in the basement.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:58 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
This is not necessarily true. Many older cities have combined storm and sanitary sewer systems. It's not done anymore but it used to be.

Also, it isn't uncommon for sewer pipes to leak. If the pipes are below the groundwater table water will get into the sewer pipes. In some places this is a big problem.

I agree with the other posters that the OP's problem is most likely the city sewer backing up and causing the sewage to daylight in the basement.
In all my years I’ve never come across a combined storm and sanitary system, even in really old areas from the 1920’s.
Also, I did say that infiltration could be a problem, however the perpetual clog seems to be the main issue and the only way to properly address this would be to videotape the line. Otherwise, we can all keep guessing!

Old 01-14-2020, 07:17 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
In all my years I’ve never come across a combined storm and sanitary system, even in really old areas from the 1920’s.
Also, I did say that infiltration could be a problem, however the perpetual clog seems to be the main issue and the only way to properly address this would be to videotape the line. Otherwise, we can all keep guessing!

Washington DC is still trying to completely separate their two systems. Also 'infiltration' is a problem with sewer systems where over time storm water begins leaking into the sewer system. Our town has an active infil reduction program and we are still finding connections of storm water drains into the sanitary sewer system although the two have been separated for over 50 years (and generally much longer) But when you have buildings that are 150-200 years old and your water and sewer system is over 120 years old there are always surprises showing up.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:27 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Washington DC is still trying to completely separate their two systems.
Man if that isn’t the truth! Ha!

I know a developer who is well known around here for his apartment towers. 20 years ago he was building a high rise that needed the main sewer line redirected underneath the building. He had to do it at night and only had 20 minutes max from disconnection to reconnection before it would backup into DC proper. He earned his legendary reputation that night, and to this day is known as the only human in earth who could actually stop the flow of $&!! coming out of a Washington DC.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:30 PM

164 posts, read 175,154 times
All of this information is very helpful.

I'll provide the following information to see if it helps. Let me tell you that I am an elderly woman and know nothing about plumbing except that water doesn't run uphill.

Directly across the street from me is a small church and there were 3 lovely ladies cleaning up the exterior. I asked them if they had any plumbing problems and they said they do not, in fact their basement is used for functions. My basement could never be used for any such functions.

There is a trough that runs around the basement floor along the walls and drains at a certain point. Right next to that point is a PVC pipe which i believe is a waste pipe that exits the basement. It is about 6" in diameter. This is where the sewage backs up into the basement. Instead of draining through the pipe, it backs up into the basement trough. I know this sounds weird but it is my waste that backs up. I take my dog out and pick up her waste and bring it in and dump it in the toilet and flush. I always look at it to make sure she's ok so when the first puddle came in the basement and it had waste in it, I knew it was hers. Also there was no paper. My problem seems to be where this waste pipe meets the basement trough and clogs. Do you think that the city had a clog and that is why they were working on the drain and that caused my pipes to back up? I'm thinking that the trough and the waste pipe drain into the same pipe and that's where clog occurs.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Sounds like the trough is for draining rainwater from your wet basement, and whoever installed it connected it to the sanitary sewer.

Bad idea.

We go back to one of the earlier suggestions on this thread, get a camera down there to verify.

I am not enough of a plumber to suggest a solution.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:11 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
I had a roommate that I constantly nagged about putting food scraps into the garbage can rather than the kitchen sink. Ramen noodles and Mac & Cheese will clog a line and harden almost like concrete. The plumber's bill was over $200.00. Her excuse was she thought there was a garbage disposal.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:51 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
No there is no sump pump. This is a very old house and there is a trough that runs along the outer edge of the basement where the water drains.

When I first moved in 4 years ago, the basement would flood when it rained with clear water but now it backs up with sewage.

This is an old steel town where most of the houses had septic that drained to the abandoned coal mines below and I suspect that plumbing may not have been done properly and no one is going to admit it and I have no choice but to deal with this.

There are two white pvc pipes that stick up in my lawn as well as all of my neighbors. One is sealed with a cap and the other has an easily removable cap which is where I drop the hose down to clear the clog.

Do you think that I can periodically put drano down that pipe to keep it clear from backing up into my basement?
Wait, is this happening when it rains? You need to have your septic pumped out and probably replaced. IF it's backing up badly with sewage when it rains then the rainwater is oversaturating the septic system and backing sewage into the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House