Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:32 AM

169 posts, read 330,651 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- need some frank advice .

I am about to make an offer on a condo that has a water heater in a closet in one of the bedrooms. I am hesitant as I am assuming that this is all according to code but is it going to be a turnoff to my potential tenants? Would you have trouble renting a place that has a properly installed water heater, albeit in your sleeping quarters? I hear that as long as I put a CO monitor, itself good but....is it an issue that would lower my potential tenant pool or resale value?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 08:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
I am about to make an offer on a condo that has a water heater in a closet in one of the bedrooms.
...- need some frank advice .
Any excuse to NOT buy a condo works for me.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:43 AM

interesting....and why not condos? this well is well maintained and comes at a good price. excellent location.....is there something I should be aware of with condos?

Old 01-14-2020, 08:44 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
What type of flooring is it sitting on? Also, does it sit on one of those drain pans that is routed to a drain for when the water heater fails? If I were a buyer I would want to see those things.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 AM

its on the concrete floor.....I can look at those details or rather inspector will, but I am assuming this is all according to code as this condo was built by a well known regional builder.

My issue is mostly optics or how it would be a turnoff to the tenant....? assuming its all safe

Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
I think that's fairly common, if they are not put in a garage. Our townhome had that. It was on tile floor and on a drip pan that had a drain to outside.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
....and why not condos? ........

Because to a tenant, it is just another apartment. They treat it like an apartment: who cares, they don't own it. It's difficult enough to get tenants to behave and follow the lease and if they violate the HOA rules, it isn't them that gets fined, it is you, and fines pile up as you are trying to get the tenant to comply.

Some condo associations don't like having rentals in their building, so they can make your life difficult.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:58 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I think you're looking at this the wrong way...

You're buying a unit for the purpose of investment, your renting it. As long as everything is in good working order, to code, and otherwise a habitable space, does it really matter where the w/h is? And I'd have to assume that the other units like this one have the same setup(?)

And of those, How many are rentals? Has the unit been a rental in the past- or is currently? What is the rental history? Do have any idea what the potential rental income is/history (this can be a tell-tale of the size of pool)?

If the location is right; and the price is in line with the surrounding area, I think your potential pool is as good as any other unit.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Would you have trouble renting a place that has a properly installed water heater, albeit in your sleeping quarters? I hear that as long as I put a CO monitor, itself good but....is it an issue that would lower my potential tenant pool or resale value?

This is gas heater? I'd be reluctant to put one in closet to begin with whether it's up to code or not but in the bedroom that is going to be a bit noisy. If it's regular electric I would not concern myself about it and there is no CO cocern. If it's heat pump water heater it can't be in a closet.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:41 AM

430 posts, read 283,256 times
I am thinking that if a tenant knows enough to question it, they might be able to understand things that have been done to make it safe. If it is gas there should certainly be a CO monitor nearby, but that's a good idea anyway. The correct drainpan with drainage is important. Gas/water piping secure and safeties working. All of that is code and pretty standard stuff for an inspector. I agree with thecoalman in that they can be noisy, some more than others. That is the only real issue I can see here, unless it turns out to be a tenant that decides to store some meth making materials in there or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House