Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:39 AM

2,335 posts, read 2,545,915 times

Advertisements

A ceiling fan doesn't typically use much electricity. It depends on the fan wattage and your local electricity cost, but running one 12 hours a day should cost in the neighborhood of 25 cents, or $7.50 per month. The payback for an automated switching system would be a pretty long time. Only you can decide if that's worth the convenience of not having to flip the switch occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 11:09 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,533,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
A ceiling fan doesn't typically use much electricity. It depends on the fan wattage and your local electricity cost, but running one 12 hours a day should cost in the neighborhood of 25 cents, or $7.50 per month. The payback for an automated switching system would be a pretty long time. Only you can decide if that's worth the convenience of not having to flip the switch occasionally.
It’s not the ceiling fan cost. It’s the uneven heat distribution.

If I leave the fan on while the heating is running, people downstairs would also complain.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 AM

2,335 posts, read 2,545,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It’s not the ceiling fan cost. It’s the uneven heat distribution.

If I leave the fan on while the heating is running, people downstairs would also complain.
Well, now I'm confused. You started out saying you want the fan to run when the heat is on. Now the people downstairs will complain if you run the fan with the heat? Unless you have an industrial size ceiling fan, the effects running it will be negligible outside of the room it's in.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 AM

10,870 posts, read 7,310,045 times
Are ceiling fans still reversible? As I recall, you run them one way to push heat down, and the other way to pull cool air up.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:58 AM

17,452 posts, read 65,843,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Are ceiling fans still reversible? As I recall, you run them one way to push heat down, and the other way to pull cool air up.

Yes!

Old 01-20-2020, 01:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,533,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Well, now I'm confused. You started out saying you want the fan to run when the heat is on. Now the people downstairs will complain if you run the fan with the heat? Unless you have an industrial size ceiling fan, the effects running it will be negligible outside of the room it's in.
I misspoke. They only complain about the fan when the heating is off.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,087,328 times
Quote:
You should be running the fan to push the air up when the heat is on and down when the AC is on. Pushing the air up forces the air down along the walls and the chances that someone will feel the moving air are slim to none. However, it still mixes the air up in the room. Blowing the fan down causes a breeze that can help with the cooling effect.

Set the fan to blow up and let it run full time.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:50 PM

23,108 posts, read 18,534,026 times
Quote:
Now I'm totally confused. You never use the fan to cool the room off in summer? Obviously you wouldn't want your heat running at that time.

You can get simple programmable timers for a fan wall switch. If you don't want to get up and turn the fan on/off yourself or you won't be home, set the timer! It won't care whether you are wanting to circulate warm air or cool. It will turn on the fan whenever you program it to, including while the heat happens to be running.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:21 PM

176 posts, read 124,054 times
Okay I have figured this out.

You need the following:
"Smart" thermostat
IFTT account (If This Then That)
"Smart" Fan

Set it up where when the T stat calls for heat, IFTT tells fan to turn on. Then the same where when the Tstat turns off, IFTT tells fan to shut off.

Easy breezy...See what I did there?

Old 01-21-2020, 06:57 PM

23,108 posts, read 18,534,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
Okay I have figured this out.

You need the following:
"Smart" thermostat
IFTT account (If This Then That)
"Smart" Fan

Set it up where when the T stat calls for heat, IFTT tells fan to turn on. Then the same where when the Tstat turns off, IFTT tells fan to shut off.

Easy breezy...See what I did there?
So what would OP do in summer when the heat isn't running and they only want the fan for cooling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House