Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 7,270 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've redecorated my house and currently, I'm looking for a ceiling fan. I want to install it in a dining room, straight above the table. The dining room is decorated as vintage and loft. Help with making a choice, thanks in advance, share experience and pitfalls
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 10:12 PM

37,428 posts, read 45,623,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneScott View Post
Hi,
I've redecorated my house and currently, I'm looking for a ceiling fan. I want to install it in a dining room, straight above the table. The dining room is decorated as vintage and loft. Help with making a choice, thanks in advance, share experience and pitfalls
"Experience and pitfalls"?? It's a ceiling fan. Find one you like and put it up.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:03 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Use the search box-
The subject matter has literally been run into the ground...but a dining room? Whatever!

Old 02-06-2020, 11:43 PM

7 posts, read 7,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"Experience and pitfalls"?? It's a ceiling fan. Find one you like and put it up.
I know how to use google and the internet at all, but forums are created for asking questions and sharing experience. Some ceiling fans are noisy, some of them are not reliable and durable, some of them have bad control panel(whatever). I just want to hear something I don't know before I'll make a decision. I faced a ceiling fan only in my childhood in my parent's house. It was really ancient and we didn't even turn it on. So some words about them can help me with making a decision, thanks

Old 02-07-2020, 07:26 AM

37,428 posts, read 45,623,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneScott View Post
I know how to use google and the internet at all, but forums are created for asking questions and sharing experience. Some ceiling fans are noisy, some of them are not reliable and durable, some of them have bad control panel(whatever). I just want to hear something I don't know before I'll make a decision. I faced a ceiling fan only in my childhood in my parent's house. It was really ancient and we didn't even turn it on. So some words about them can help me with making a decision, thanks
Okay, stick with a Hunter fan. I have never had ANY fan go bad - and I almost always buy Hunter fans (just bought a Minka by the way), but my BF bought a cheaper brand (like $50) at Home Depot and it was noisy. He took it back and bought a better one.

Don't buy a cheap fan. There are lots of reviews online - I would suggest reading them to find a fan.

Why on earth are you putting a fan over your dining room table?? That makes no sense to me.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:29 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,985,167 times
Ceiling fans do not belong in dining rooms.

There's your forum advice and experience.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:25 PM

22,865 posts, read 18,149,192 times
Quote:
Don't buy a cheap fan. There are lots of reviews online - I would suggest reading them to find a fan.

Why on earth are you putting a fan over your dining room table?? That makes no sense to me.
This. Does your dining room have poor air circulation or get unusually hot for some reason or do you really just need a light over the table? A draft of air blowing on people's food isn't usually a plus.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:26 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,161,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ceiling fans do not belong in dining rooms.
I'd agree, but I've spent more than one dinner in changing weather where the room was too hot and stuffy for comfort.

If it's cold, no fan needed. If it's hot, A/C or house cooling is on. In the middle? A lot of times the house is comfortable but the dining room, near the kitchen, suddenly filled with people and warm to hot dishes, and rarely with good flow-through ventilation, is suddenly just a tad too airless, close and warm for comfort.

I'd go with a high-quality DC fan that has six or more speeds, so that it can be put on a normal-low speed for use other than at mealtimes and very low or inverted during meals. I had a houseful of Emersons that were great for this. Not cheap, but pretty, infinite lifespan and useful range of speeds.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:10 PM

14,193 posts, read 14,553,672 times
Hunter with a remote controller. I bought mine at Lowes.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:47 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,198,516 times
Quote:
Okay, stick with a Hunter fan. I have never had ANY fan go bad - and I almost always buy Hunter fans (just bought a Minka by the way), but my BF bought a cheaper brand (like $50) at Home Depot and it was noisy. He took it back and bought a better one.

Yes, cheap fans get unbalanced and wobble and are noisy; also because the motor is smaller they make the blades with a shallower pitch so they end up not really moving the air very much, even if they go fast!

Are you wanting a fan over the table to keep flies away in the summer? Or is it more purely decoration? You may want a 3 speed fan with a super slow speed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House