Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 10:26 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times

Advertisements

I slept in my recliner for six weeks after total knee replacement surgery last fall. It was fine. Eventually I went back to sleeping in my bed, but the recliner was not too bad. I think you'll be fine sleeping in a recliner. Get the type that lets you lower the back all the way down, so you can lie flat or nearly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I would get a really comfortable couch with a recliner in it. Leaves you with the most options, for you, and the possibility of company.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
You're thinking outside the box. I like it! I do think, if I spend much of the day in a recliner reading and/or watching TV, I wouldn't want to spend the entire night in the same recliner. A little variety is good! When it's a case of limited space, the Murphy bed is an idea that should make a comeback.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:44 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
What exactly are the constraints keeping you from getting a regular bed frame?

If space efficiency is the limitation and if you don’t mind sleeping on a lower platform and if you are not obese, get a cot-sized 4” memory foam mattress, 30” wide. Put it on a platform made of 10” square rigid polypro “jigsaw squares” that each have 4 small casters on the bottom.

Lee Valley sells these for use as MOVING AIDS for light to moderate items. They are very easy to assemble in the configuration of a cot. Lay one or two large sheets of corrugated cardboard on that, then the foam mattresss. Done! Works well as a small, easily moved bed, and it can be disassembled for other uses.

Do NOT do this if you hate getting up and down, or if you are very heavy. I assumed you are not because you mentioned a loft.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:13 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Get a sofa and ottoman. Recliners don't let you lay on your side or stomach.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Get a sofa and ottoman. Recliners don't let you lay on your side or stomach.
If cost is the only consideration, a twin mattress doesn't cost much at all (if you're not squeamish, you can even find the second-hand). There's really no need for a whole bed frame or even box springs; just throw it on the floor! I would think sleeping in one position (on your back, slightly curled up) would get old fast. I like to move around a lot in my sleep: back, front, both sides...

Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I think it would be easier to give advise if you explained why you are considering a recliner (and have been sleeping on a sofa) and why you don't have/want a bed. Like a lot of people, there have been times when I've needed to sleep in a more upright position following surgery, but I don't find it even close to as restful as a bed.

i will disagree with the idea of a daybed, though, if you spend a lot of time sitting on the sofa as opposed to sleeping on it. Even with a lot of pillows, they are not that comfortable for sitting purposes - not just because a mattress isn't as soft as a sofa, but also the dimensions aren't the same. They look good and are helpful to increase the usefulness of a room that needs to serve multiple functions but as with many multi-use items, they are not as good at each individual use as purpose made items

Old 02-14-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think it would be easier to give advise if you explained why you are considering a recliner (and have been sleeping on a sofa) and why you don't have/want a bed. Like a lot of people, there have been times when I've needed to sleep in a more upright position following surgery, but I don't find it even close to as restful as a bed.

i will disagree with the idea of a daybed, though, if you spend a lot of time sitting on the sofa as opposed to sleeping on it. Even with a lot of pillows, they are not that comfortable for sitting purposes - not just because a mattress isn't as soft as a sofa, but also the dimensions aren't the same. They look good and are helpful to increase the usefulness of a room that needs to serve multiple functions but as with many multi-use items, they are not as good at each individual use as purpose made items
Yes; some people with heart/lung problems have to sleep in a semi-upright position. Is that the issue?

Old 02-14-2020, 05:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
another thought: they make chairs that convert to beds-basically a mattress that folds up. I've only seen photos but that might be another option.
Yes, hospitals have them so visitors can sleep overnight. I’ve spent a lot of nights on them and they are much more comfortable than a recliner for overnight sleeping.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:14 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Judging from the fact that OP is posting from Asia, he might never come back to tell us the details...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House