Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:26 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Thanks guys, yes the baseboard apparatus must've been wee radiators, and yes I was told air in the lines, but no guys who came out and "bled" the lines ever made the water sound completely stop, so I lived with it until I sold it.

Gas seems to have a lot of fans, just these few replies all are for gas. I wonder if anyone prefers electric? Is gas always cheaper? Gas makes me nervous but I've had it in the different houses so I just deal with it.

@thecoalman, I've had insulation blankets wrapped around water heaters before, never thought to insulate the pipes coming from it but that makes total sense. I've been impressed by the difference to the monthly bill turning off the breaker made, with the electric water heaters; it feels like such a waste to have to leave the gas one "on" and heating water 24/7.

The vents aren't the flush to the floor type I've had before (in house with all electric heat/ac), they're against the wall/floor, so maybe they're the radiator type after all? The ones that were radiators in the other house looked much like electric baseboard heaters: low, long rectangles. Major pain for furniture placement btw. Here's a photo of the ones in this house:
(photo from Zillow listing; those ugly curtains are now down).

Attachment 218059
No, from your picture you have gas forced air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 08:51 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Gas is not always cheaper, especially if that gas is propane.

The pros/cons as I see them are that gas Can be cheaper. It isn't always, and won't be in decades to come (only matters if you're building new). Gas service doesn't tend to be interrupted, you don't have gas "blackouts" which means you can have heating/cooking even when there's no power (assuming the heating system can work on convection, hydronic heat can but does better with the electric pump working).

Electric can be DIY, it's possible for the average person to have their own solar system and "power well" (storage system). It's generally more expensive, but the differential may be tiny depending on where you live. You can have cooling as well as heating with electric and one unit ~ I have a water-source heat pump myself but Any heat pump can do the same.

Anyway, my folks are in the boonies of Montana and have electric-only (well, and passive solar and a decorative woodstove). They've added some solar, mostly to run the fridge and freezers so their food doesn't spoil, but the system Can run heat if needed, and can be expended to run both heat and food storage.

A library system I worked for a decade ago went full electric with geo-thermal heating, in Wyoming... where temps could see sustained temps in the negatives (as in highs during the day that were -10 to -20 F). After renovation, adding Double the floor space, heating was just slightly cheaper than the old gas bills.

I see more flexibility and potential in electric. If I had access to gas, which I will probably never have again as I don't like living "in town" (I don't play well with others apparently), I *might* go that route simply because I like to cook on gas. Then again, I had gas at my last house and never turned it on because the cost was outrageous... as in, the monthly "admin" fees that you pay even if you use Nothing, were about HALF of my total electric bill... including the HVAC.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:52 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
No, from your picture you have gas forced air.
OK that's what I thought. You were saying about the pilot light; I did have it go out once on a water heater but I had a husband then (am now widowed) who could relight it; I'm so fire phobic if one went out in my current situation I'd have to get someone to relight it so was thrilled to discover water heater is the electric ignition sort. I had the gas stove taken out (donated to Habitat) in this new place and will be using a countertop electric burner (kind of a nifty one from a restaurant supply place), no stove at all just because I never cook anything except when I make dog food once/month.
#emptynestjoys

That new window install is happening next week, I'll put a photo in my other thread after completion. Labor cost: $350 Window: $86. I got seven estimates ranging from $300-650 for the labor, am using a guy the seller used in past on the place.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 02-14-2020 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Gas is not always cheaper, especially if that gas is propane.

If I had access to gas, which I will probably never have again as I don't like living "in town" (I don't play well with others apparently), I *might* go that route simply because I like to cook on gas. Then again, I had gas at my last house and never turned it on because the cost was outrageous... as in, the monthly "admin" fees that you pay even if you use Nothing, were about HALF of my total electric bill... including the HVAC.
This is natural gas from NIPSCO, not from a propane tank. Ergh what are these admin fees you speak of...haven't gotten a bill yet as I just closed on the 5th.

HA I'd love to not live "in town", ideally, as not seeing people like, ever would be right up my alley but other practical reasons preclude that in my case, sadly.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:09 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
We have all those pesky fees from our utility. Some are scaled to usage, some are not. We added a 7kw solar system to take advantage of the tax credit and try and reduce our dependency on that utility. However with net meter we're still hostage to North Western Energy and the associated 'fees'.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
OK that's what I thought. You were saying about the pilot light; I did have it go out once on a water heater but I had a husband then (am now widowed) who could relight it; I'm so fire phobic if one went out in my current situation I'd have to get someone to relight it so was thrilled to discover water heater is the electric ignition sort. I had the gas stove taken out (donated to Habitat) in this new place and will be using a countertop electric burner (kind of a nifty one from a restaurant supply place), no stove at all just because I never cook anything except when I make dog food once/month.
#emptynestjoys

That new window install is happening next week, I'll put a photo in my other thread after completion. Labor cost: $350 Window: $86. I got seven estimates ranging from $300-650 for the labor, am using a guy the seller used in past on the place.
I prefer a regular pilot light on a gas water heater because if the power goes out then you still have hot water going. However, I am not fire-phobic. My vintage gas stove (1953 Wedgwood) has dual continuous pilot lights and I've never had any problem with it. I just check periodically to make sure the pilot lights are nice and clear.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
My vintage gas stove (1953 Wedgwood) has dual continuous pilot lights and I've never had any problem with it. I just check periodically to make sure the pilot lights are nice and clear.
OMG if I had a vintage stove like that Id've kept it for sure, even if I disconnected it! This was a new modern one, I bet Habitat was thrilled to get it. I'm thrilled to not have a stove, though, as I adore being able to live so minimally as I've always longed to do but felt I couldn't when rearing kids.

This joint has the cool built-in telephone shelf but painted! I'm going to strip the paint after awhile. People who paint over old, solid wood should be strung up in the public square. They painted all the solid original doors too *sigh*

Old 02-14-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
OMG if I had a vintage stove like that Id've kept it for sure, even if I disconnected it! This was a new modern one, I bet Habitat was thrilled to get it. I'm thrilled to not have a stove, though, as I adore being able to live so minimally as I've always longed to do but felt I couldn't when rearing kids.

This joint has the cool built-in telephone shelf but painted! I'm going to strip the paint after awhile. People who paint over old, solid wood should be strung up in the public square. They painted all the solid original doors too *sigh*
I have a vintage telephone alcove in my hallway as well. The sellers placed a circa 1900 cobblestone from the historic downtown Market Square inside it for some reason. In fact, I have to get my painters to replace it once my new paint has cured. All of my trim and doors are painted white, but always have been (I checked with my next door neighbor; her FIL built this house).

Old 02-14-2020, 12:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Modern gas appliances don't have standing pilots. They are electronic ignition on demand to conserve gas. In the event of a power outage they can typically be lit manually. Personally, I'd pick gas all day long. It's safe, cheap and reliable. Especially, a gas range is SO much better for cooking than electric.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Modern gas appliances don't have standing pilots. They are electronic ignition on demand to conserve gas. In the event of a power outage they can typically be lit manually. Personally, I'd pick gas all day long. It's safe, cheap and reliable. Especially, a gas range is SO much better for cooking than electric.
Oh sweet, like the water heater then. Good to know. Pilots are scary

(I have no stove at all now though, but still)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House