Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 06:46 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,408 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice everyone! We told our agent we are not going to proceed with the house. Even though we loved so many things about that house, we realized the 2-story family room would be wasted space. We really want a media room/bonus room. Also the concerns about noise traveling.

Our agent agrees with our logic. She also reminded us that a fancy outdoor space could be added onto a future house, but that it’s much more difficult to modify the bones of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 06:52 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not entirely certain what your concern is with this situation as it relates to having kids in the house. could you expand on that?
Maybe they'll try to throw each other off the balcony?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:04 AM

1,185 posts, read 751,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I realize it's a personal decision. But I've never had this feature and wanted to get feedback from those who have (especially parents).
I did in my old house. It really depends on the layout upstairs - ours was actually kind of a plus, because the “catwalk” area had the homework station and the rooms were set off to the side. The one thing that got annoying was everyone hollering up and down all the time.

I had a really good large ceiling fan installed and that helped the heating/cooling part. Changing lightbulbs though was a death defying feat on an 18’ ladder.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:31 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post

Changing lightbulbs though was a death defying feat on an 18’ ladder.
That's what made me change to a one-level house: having to coordinate the logistics what should be typical homeowner maintenance of two- and three-story homes.

Even a multistory house with standard ceiling heights is easier. The grandeur of some of these features is fun for a while, but not only do you need a huge ladder to do that stuff, you need a place to store the ladder, or the budget to hire someone to paint, clean, repair, etc, and taking all that into consideration just got old.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:34 AM

1,185 posts, read 751,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
That's what made me change to a one-level house: having to coordinate the logistics what should be typical homeowner maintenance of two- and three-story homes.

Even a multistory house with standard ceiling heights is easier. The grandeur of some of these features is fun for a while, but not only do you need a huge ladder to do that stuff, you need a place to store the ladder, or the budget to hire someone to paint, clean, repair, etc, and taking all that into consideration just got old.
Yeah. Luckily that ladder fit on the wall of the garage and was a straight shot into the house.

Getting it home was fun.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:58 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Here's my old house and my old apartment, both having vaulted two story living rooms. It was soo nice to put a tall Christmas tree in there! Neither cost any more to heat and cool than my more standard houses.
Attached Thumbnails
would you consider 2-story family room a dealbreaker?-vaulted.jpg   would you consider 2-story family room a dealbreaker?-vaulted2.jpg  

Old 03-03-2020, 08:39 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Sorry, I am in the opposite camp.

I wish, though, that the OP had included a photo, because there is one style that is a hard pass NO for me, and that's what I refer to as a "bridge" over an open space, for example, from the master bedroom to other upper level bedrooms. It gives me the creeps just to walk over it. Admittedly, I live in earthquake country, but I would not want to be stuck on the second level in the case of structural failure.

And, now, after research, it appears the "catwalk" is the same as the "bridge."

Here's an example:

https://assets.architecturaldesigns....jpg?1506327708

That is an absolute deal-breaker for me, even if it was a steal of a deal.
I know what you mean about that design. My late husband and I saw that on a new home tour and both of us though it was just ridiculous. Even the catwalk that came down into the large family room was a no-go for us, although I did tell hubs that it would make me feel like Scarlet O'Hara coming down the staircase at Tara., lol.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
we had a big catwalk type thing in the house we moved to when i was a kid. we were all 8+ years old at the time and nothing ever happened or almost happened safety wise. more recently (my dad still lives in this house) my niece was probably around 5 years old and i caught her climbing up the rails (they are horizontal). that could have ended badly if she wasnt spotted in time.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:55 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
I love the two-floor great rooms. Usually this is desirable to homebuyers, which is why many new homes offer the great rooms. Perfect for entertaining and family gatherings.

But if you don't want a great room, then don't buy a home that features this. Probably 90% of homes don't have great rooms.

Changing lightbulbs only needs to be done every 6-7 years, using LEDs. You just hire someone with a ladder and it takes 15 minutes, max. Doesn't seem like a good reason to not buy a house. There are no other maintenance issues that I'm aware of, and I had a home with this look for about 10 years.

Also don't remember any noise issues, our heating bills weren't out-of-line and we had babies/toddlers, and they could never fit through the spindles in the catwalk. So no, I never worried. Stairs are much more dangerous for babies/toddlers.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:57 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
We have a two story family room with a sloped ceiling. The loft and a hall surround the open space on the second floor. From a design standpoint, it looks complementary and opens up an otherwise "compartmentalized" traditional house. The family room was designed as the hub of the house, with other rooms with halls offshooting. I also like viewing the first floor from the loft space. At 3,700 sq ft square footage really isn't such a big deal and I'd prefer the open space to a room. There is also a skylight in the sloped ceiling bringing in additional natural light. A room there would cut that light off.

And yes sound travels but that's ok. Before the day of Alexa, yelling from the first to the second floor and vice versa was just as effective

As for lights, we use a light pole and since they're LEDs, light changing isn't frequent.

Property taxes though can be affected, at least in my district. They only walk the perimeter and calculate sq footage based on the home's footprint, not actual livable space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House