Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 10:07 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Well hollow core doors are not literally hollow. They are stuff with something inside thats not dense enough to block sound.
It depends. Some have (rigid) foam inside, in which case they are as soundproof as they're going to get, and the other suggestions about air-sealing the gaps are all that can be done.

Many have irregular zig-zags of cardboard producing some stiffness for the surfaces, and a half-dozen injection points should get dense foam into much of the door space, reducing its transmissiveness and tendency to boom/drum.

I built a set of double/french doors to acoustically isolate half a house. I had the advantage that there were no contiguous walls (the noisemaker was in a room that adjoined the rest of the house on an inside corner, and a garage wall). I built a double-thickness divider wall, put in two layers of isolated foam, and had a double-door unit built that, when shimmed and trimmed, had gaps you couldn't get a credit card into.

They were also 40+ pound solid doors.

It all kept the grand piano from deafening everyone in the protected half of the house quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 10:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Buy and install some solid wood doors, not the pressed-fiberboard-with-a-bit-of-corrugated-fiberboard-inside crap you've got now. When you need extra quiet, put a couple towels or an old blanket down at the bottom of the doors.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Thanks all. For now I'll just run with sealing air gaps around the door as an alternative solution till I eventually replace to solid core doors.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Even completely air-sealing a door doesn't make a hollow-core any less sound-transmissive and 'boomy'.

You might try drilling holes into the core and filling it with the densest can foam you can find. Drill holes just big enough for the nozzle in the bottom, top, and through where the hinges attach. Holes along the edges would let you get more foam in between the cardboard spacers, but would have to be refinished, as might the top holes if they can be seen from an overhead location.
No, the interior of those types of doors is a heavy duty cardboard, which shouldn’t get wet. Spray foam insulation would absolutely make that wet, and then because it expands it could probably easily delaminate those doors and you’d have an exploded mess. My husband used to break those doors very easily into multiple little pieces using his foot and a hammer in like two minutes.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:39 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
No, the interior of those types of doors is a heavy duty cardboard, which shouldn’t get wet. Spray foam insulation would absolutely make that wet, and then because it expands it could probably easily delaminate those doors and you’d have an exploded mess. My husband used to break those doors very easily into multiple little pieces using his foot and a hammer in like two minutes.
Spray foam doesn't contain water; I don't believe the trace of solvent would affect the interior door structure in any negative way; I've done it without problems.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:15 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
https://aquietrefuge.com/best-soundproof-blankets/

There seems to be additional methods as well. Google "soundproofing a door"

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2020, 06:20 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Thanks all. For now I'll just run with sealing air gaps around the door as an alternative solution till I eventually replace to solid core doors.
This is the best first option to solving the problem and might provide enough of a sound reduction that you will decide against replacing the doors.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:21 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Very difficult to "soundproof". You can achieve some improvement in STC by using good seals all around the perimeter, but the doors need to be replaced with solid core to make a noticeable difference. Hollow core doors typically have a honeycomb cardboard internal structure that will never be improved by spray foam.

Adding a heavy fabric to one or both sides will help some. It's all about decoupling surfaces to reduce vibration transmission.
If the seals around the perimeter don't do the job, install a drapery rod and soundproofing drapes.

They cost about $100 per panel, are about 4" wide and come in a variety of colors.

https://www.moondreamwebstore.com/so...SAAEgKFSPD_BwE

I'm sure there are others like this.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:55 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Just an update, sealing the air gaps properly helped tremendously. I don't even think I need to install solid doors at this point.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:06 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Just an update, sealing the air gaps properly helped tremendously. I don't even think I need to install solid doors at this point.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House