Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 07:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Thank you.

Right now, something of an animal preserve. Deer, buzzards, birds of prey, snakes, field mice, lizards, insects, wild boar, foxes, coyotes too!.
Not a fan of all of those, but enjoy seeing the occasional deer in the yard, and between my bird feeders and berries on trees, I'm fortunate to see all kinds of birds here.

We currently have a problem with coyotes going after dogs and kids. Those you can have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 11:34 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,950,049 times
Porch - usually roofed and usually at the front of the house, unless it's designated as 'back porch' or 'side porch'. Great place for rocking chairs and watching the world go by.

Patio - usually not roofed although they can be. Usually at grade (on the ground) and usually at the back of the house.

Deck - like a patio, but raised off the ground.

A Florida Room is a lot like an enclosed patio, usually roofed over and screened sides.

There's also the lanai, which is sort of a cross between a porch and a patio. It's a transitional place between the enclosed living spaces inside and the big outdoors. It also shades the sides of the house to keep it cooler and cools the outside air before it gets inside the house.

As to why any of these spaces? It all depends on the individual house, it's location and occupants.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:44 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,860,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We had a deck in back and replaced it with a paver patio. It’s basically an outdoor family “room.” We cook and eat out there, relax, read, watch the kids play in the yard, enjoy nature, etc. It’s especially nice to have friends and family over for entertaining at sunset. It’s fun to add furniture and plants, etc., though costly. We love it.

I guess my house designer could read my subconscious to what I really wanted.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
if you could get away with it, i think a patio is better than a deck (even though they say it doesnt help with resale value). it costs less to build and requires very little ongoing maintenance.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:05 AM

14,225 posts, read 14,646,717 times
People's needs and desires vary. In some locations it is impossible to sit outside due to bugs so in this case a screened in porch/patio is required.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:45 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,290,430 times
We've always had a deck or a patio in the back of our houses. We have both right now. Either provides a more private space to sit, read, enjoy a glass of something, etc. It also provides a place for a grill and an outdoor eating space. When our children were young, I was able to put a gate at the entrance to the deck and allow them to play on the deck while I did things inside knowing they were safe. I could still see them.

Patios aren't anything new. They've existed for many years. I grew up in a 1960's house and one of the first upgrades my parents did was installing a patio.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:22 PM

1,159 posts, read 615,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I think it depends on the style of the house.
Porches are sort of old fashioned (and I mean that in a good way). Patios go with newer houses.

Of course there's always exceptions and let's not forget decks.
The house I grew up in, my parents built a deck attached in the backyard. It definitely added money to it when they sold it

Old 03-06-2020, 07:21 PM

10,865 posts, read 7,293,260 times
When a developer clears and levels several acres to build a subdivision of 1/5 acre lots, it easy to put in a ground level patio.

If you're on wild land, decks and porches adjust more easily to uneven ground.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times
If you live in a forest, I don’t think you want a patio. I think, if anything, you need a porch or deck. A patio is essentially an open, outdoor room. With the forest around you, I think you would be constantly sweeping leaves and twigs off a patio. With a porch + overhang, you’d have some protection from constant blown around detritus. And I think a porch, or deck suits a woodsy setting better than a patio.

But patio, deck, or porch are essentially outdoor rooms, which you choose to use however you wish.

After 20+ years of a having a deck high above the forest floor, I decided I never again wanted one of those. I especially do not like to have to tramp through rooms to get to another, outdoor room. I dreamed for years of having a back door just steps from my kitchen. I have close to that now, though not in a forest.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:05 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
Oh my gosh,my husband and I call ourselves "porch sitters." By that we also mean "patio sitters." We sit out on our patio (in the back) or our front porch (or both) just about every single day and/or evening.

We have a HUGE patio - it's probably 40' x 30' or maybe even bigger, and we're about to add onto it since we are adding a pool in the back yard. Part of it is covered and part isn't. On the part that isn't, we have a table as well as a fire pit and a total of 8 chairs. We also have a covered section with 4 more chairs and an outdoor rug, as well as our dog house and a few occasional tables. And at the other end of the patio, near the fire pit, we have a smaller covered area with two grills. We love to entertain and love that we have plenty of places for people to sit and also move around.

Our back yard is about half an acre with woods behind it so no, we don't step out into a forest but we do have plenty of trees and wildlife close at hand.

To us, our patio - aka our outdoor living area - is just an extension of our living room and our house in general.

We love to sit outside when it's raining.

We wouldn't have considered a house without a front porch and at least room and a design acclimated to a large patio in the back. (We added a larger patio and fire pit in our former house but thankfully the previous owners here had already added a huge patio and fire pit.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House