Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 10:51 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I’ve failed to find a definitive answer online.

We are installing cedar siding on an addition. I know you are supposed to prime or stain the cut edges before installation. What I can’t seem to find out is if it’s necessary to prime the back side of the boards? We will be using solid stain on the outside, and will probably just use Kilz on the cut edges, since I haven’t decided what color the stain will be yet.

I seem to remember watching them install cedar shingles on This Old House, and they didn’t prime them first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 02:05 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Does cedar siding need to be primed?
No. It doesn't need to be stained either.
That was always the largest the appeal of using cedar.

I'd still do it. Stain. Not paint.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No. It doesn't need to be stained either.
That was always the largest the appeal of using cedar.

I'd still do it. Stain. Not paint.
We have some existing cedar siding that is already covered in a solid stain, so that is why we have to use solid stain also, since we want a different color. Too bad, because I would like the natural.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:31 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Primer; no.

But a sealer will definitely help with the finish coat(s)- limiting the amount of absorption.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Primer; no.

But a sealer will definitely help with the finish coat(s)- limiting the amount of absorption.
Why would I want to limit the amount of absorption? Isn’t that the point of a stain?

Old 03-05-2020, 05:49 PM

6,359 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Cedar is soft and porous compared to other woods so it breathes well and would not be necessary to back-prime the material.

Since you are using solid stain, you have great sun protection for the wood. On our last house, I installed clear tongue & groove cedar and it was a nightmare to keep it looking good with a semi transparent stain.
It need attention every 3 years and I finally went with a semi-solid stain to minimize the maintenance and re-applying a new top coat.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:05 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Why would I want to limit the amount of absorption? Isn’t that the point of a stain?
Yes. But...

Using a solid stain can be somewhat finicky getting a consistent color coverage. The sealer makes that more possible.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:34 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:

We are installing cedar siding on an addition. I know you are supposed to prime or stain the cut edges before installation. What I can’t seem to find out is if it’s necessary to prime the back side of the boards? We will be using solid stain on the outside, and will probably just use Kilz on the cut edges, since I haven’t decided what color the stain will be yet.

I seem to remember watching them install cedar shingles on This Old House, and they didn’t prime them first.
Soft woods, like cedar, accept stain in weird ways. There are hard spots and soft spots, and the stain will 'blotch' if not sealed.

In any event- end sealing and back sealing the unexposed surface will prolong the life of the siding.

In 1999 we built a cedar sided house in WV and it is VERY important in humid environments. At the time we followed the protocol using Sikkens products and we still had to re 'stain' the wood after 5 years.

It's one of those things you really have to get it right to protect your investment. You don't want to skimp here.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:36 AM

Thank you, all.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:14 AM

6,359 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Soft woods, like cedar, accept stain in weird ways. There are hard spots and soft spots, and the stain will 'blotch' if not sealed.

In any event- end sealing and back sealing the unexposed surface will prolong the life of the siding.

In 1999 we built a cedar sided house in WV and it is VERY important in humid environments. At the time we followed the protocol using Sikkens products and we still had to re 'stain' the wood after 5 years.

It's one of those things you really have to get it right to protect your investment. You don't want to skimp here.

Exactly correct and Sikkens was the best name in lasting stains and finishes. The Proluxe Carol SRD (translucent) was considered to be one of the best possible stains for cedar. I believe that company now merged with PPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House