Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 03:38 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times

Advertisements

Another photo - Internet
Attached Thumbnails
Turning an entire bedroom into a closet (permanent or just use of space)-b2b422a6-1065-4fe7-8e72-276a2034acd7.jpeg  

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-08-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 03:40 PM

You can find more on the internet: Pinterest or Houzz apps
Attached Thumbnails
Turning an entire bedroom into a closet (permanent or just use of space)-75d37e61-bd68-4131-ad97-3cad9e01e014.jpeg  

Old 03-08-2020, 03:41 PM

Another idea
Attached Thumbnails
Turning an entire bedroom into a closet (permanent or just use of space)-e66a4a26-feb1-4bf1-84bc-03b1d3552866.jpeg  

Old 03-08-2020, 03:43 PM

I think if you use real cabinets vs racks- it may look nicer
The ones in photo I believe come from Lowe’s or Home Depot- they are not too expensive and come in different colors.
Lighter colors look more pleasant to me -
Attached Thumbnails
Turning an entire bedroom into a closet (permanent or just use of space)-0e556b20-8b6b-40f4-b603-8acb3bc4b9cb.jpeg  

Old 03-08-2020, 04:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
If you ever think you may want to sell this house in your lifetime, remember that 3 BR's is the minimum for "full" resale value. 2 BRs are almost impossible to sell, and, even then, take a good 30% loss in value per sq ft.

As an empty nester who plans on dying in my house one day, I couldn't care less what its market value is when that day comes. That's the question you need to ask yourself. If that is the case, do whatever you want! Nobody else's opinion should matter.

But a big closet? Just more junk to accumulate that will be a hassle and a half to unload one of these days. I had three modest closets (two small walk ins) and it took me 10 years to get rid of that useless junk. Pretty difficult to impress you with that fact at this particular time, but something to keep in mind.

You know the rules: If you don't use it in 18 months...out it goes!

Old 03-08-2020, 05:50 PM

554 posts, read 976,943 times
We are using the spare bedroom as a 'closet' / craftroom. We just bought a house built in the early 70s with minimal closet space in the master bedroom. So, my wife bought a few clothing racks from a Kmart that was closing and she uses the spare bedroom to keep all of her clothes. I use the small closet in the master for mine. We also have a built in table that goes along 2 walls of the room so she also has room to do all of her craft stuff.

Old 03-08-2020, 06:18 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It can easily be done. The real question is do you really need to keep all that stuff? You must know you won't ever wear most of it ever again.
Because they have the space so it's not having a negative effect on their life, and because unless you know them personally, you have no idea what they will or will not wear. They asked for advice on use of a space, not judgment from strangers on their wardrobe. (Why people who will never be in someone's house care or think they get an opinion on how the person uses their space or what they own is beyond me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My house was built in the early 80s and has a "sitting room". It's actually a room that is only accessed thru my bedroom (it has french doors) and it is huge.
That sounds cool! I love houses with interesting spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It is only successfully temporary if you set a deadline for UNDOING it again. That's where people fail. They get used to the status quo and never get around to sorting the stuff and turning the room back into a bedroom again. The stuff becomes permanent and the room keeps filling up because you know there's space for more. If you don't have extra storage space, you tend to be good about staying current and organized. Good intentions get derailed by inertia.
I assume they meant "temporary" as in they weren't building in closets, not that they themself didn't plan to use it long-term.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:22 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm curious about your thought process....how and why did you do it.

I'm thinking of doing it.
NOT permanently...just using a bedroom as a closet, with rolling garment racks, etc.

Right now there are beds in there. I really don't get many guests, at all. Hardly any visitors ever.
It's a 3 bedroom house so I would have another guest room anyway.
Yet I'm still struggling mentally with the decision.

MY angst aside...(about being one person in a 3 BR house and not having enough closet space for my hoard of clothing)...

....how and why did you turn an entire bedroom into a large walk-in.

Pictures would be great to if you have any to share.

Thanks.
I’ll be doing something similar, but it will be a quilting studio. As long as you aren’t doing anything permanent, it’s fine. When you go to sell, if this lunacy continues, where people walk into a room that clearly a bedroom, but not being used as a bedroom and not knowing what it is because there’s no bed there, you will still have to stage it as a bedroom. But cross that bridge when you come to it.

One thing to consider though with the whole thing is good window coverings. Sun through the glass can be very hard on fabrics.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Because they have the space so it's not having a negative effect on their life, and because unless you know them personally, you have no idea what they will or will not wear. They asked for advice on use of a space, not judgment from strangers on their wardrobe. (Why people who will never be in someone's house care or think they get an opinion on how the person uses their space or what they own is beyond me.)
It's a public forum. People providing opinions is how forums work. OP can do whatever they want.

Someone starts a thread. They should expect responses.

By the way, they have done studies, The average person only wears between 20-50% of their total wardrobes.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm curious about your thought process....how and why did you do it.

I'm thinking of doing it.
NOT permanently...just using a bedroom as a closet, with rolling garment racks, etc.

Right now there are beds in there. I really don't get many guests, at all. Hardly any visitors ever.
It's a 3 bedroom house so I would have another guest room anyway.
Yet I'm still struggling mentally with the decision.

MY angst aside...(about being one person in a 3 BR house and not having enough closet space for my hoard of clothing)...

....how and why did you turn an entire bedroom into a large walk-in.

Pictures would be great to if you have any to share.

Thanks.
As a temp walk in closet no issue. You don’t want to lose a bedroom. Come sale time you’re losing a lot of money missing a bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House