Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 02:03 PM

1,185 posts, read 750,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As a temp walk in closet no issue. You don’t want to lose a bedroom. Come sale time you’re losing a lot of money missing a bedroom
I don’t know if that’s a universal statement. One of my first houses was a 3/1.5 that was a master, second bedroom and what was kindly referred to as the 3rd bedroom, which was actually under 90sq ft.

This was a freestanding house in a beach area that was a little dumpy but started to quickly change when the tech boom started taking off. It was also minutes from where many of these employers were.

I actually converted the 2nd bedroom and the tiny bedroom into a really nice master and relocated the door of the half bath, which gave the space to turn it into a 3/4.

Took the tub out of the old master bath and added a door to the living area. This created a perfect roommate situation house, or young couple with a guest bedroom. Ultimately, far more functional for the people that wanted to buy in that area. I ended up making a killing on it because of this - as it was all about location and the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 04:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Older house with few closets while the smallest bedroom went unused.
We kind of did it for the same reason. However we use the room for many things. Closet - laundry sorting/piling; a sort of office for my wife, storing seasonal items. We can also pull everything out of there in about an hour if we need another bedroom, but since we have four empty bedrooms, it is unlikely. It is a pretty little room with lots of natural light, so it is pleasant to go in there and pick out your clothes. It also allows me to avoid having to get dressed in the dark to avoid waking up my wife.

Another bedroom has been converted to a weightlifting room. the other two just sit there and get used occasionally for guests.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:13 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ This is true....but....

I'm also just curious about design transformations in general. And the thought process that goes into decisions like this. That's why if anyone has pictures of their converted beroom-into-a-sized walk-in -closet I'd love to see it.

And even though I'm struggling with my decision, I tend to believe in using a space for whatever you need it to be for a given person or family.
Especially if it's just a USE issue, with no structural changes, why not? Space is space. For example, people who use dining rooms or bedrooms as dedicated offices.

In my case, the room is about 8'x12'. I'd just roll in some garment racks, and free standing armoires. Put in a chair on bench to sit on, etc.

Designer Christoper Lowell (who was on TV decades ago) really got me to thinking about using the space for what you need, not what the builder thought the room should be.

My decision struggle may be about trying to fit all my clothes in the existing closet space. (After all I am one person in a 3BR house and still don't have enough closet space. That on its face could mean I have too many clothes.) But that aside, I'm still interested in how people have used "bedrooms' as large closets in their homes.
Hoarders probably have that same thought.

Get rid of your old stuff.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:51 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,156,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hoarders probably have that same thought.

Get rid of your old stuff.
Or enjoy the stuff you own in the space that you own. Cool with you?

Old 03-13-2020, 10:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
My mother has a setup like that with a nursery that is attached to the MBR in the family homestead, which is the smallest bedroom in the house. It works for her, since even with walk-in closets, they are not connected to each other, rather off her dressing room, and do not have natural daylight. She jokes that she has a walk-through closet because the nursery connects at her dressing room in the MBR and then connects to the hallway, so she can get dressed and head out in one step.

One tip I have is to invest in good quality racks, such as you would find used to roll rails of clothing in a store or the Garment District of NYC because the less expensive racks don't hold up. I have a number of them, myself, and keep one in my laundry room for dry cleaning before it's delivered to the respective closet, and the ability to roll them and lock the casters is something I have found to be invaluable, both for cleaning, and for transporting them. The Z-racks are much more stable and will not tend to tip as some of the less expensive aluminum racks can do.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-14-2020, 12:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Or enjoy the stuff you own in the space that you own. Cool with you?
You bring up a good point. What does it mean to enjoy your stuff. If the stuff is just present, but not really being used (i.e. classic hoarders), is that enjoyment?

Is storing and keeping enjoyment?

Old 03-15-2020, 05:50 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,272,992 times
We're going to retire to a 100 year old 1000sf bungalow, with two small bedrooms and typical small closets. This will be a downsizing of well over half, and like a lot of folks, we're used to a walk-in closet. I'm going to sacrifice some space from one bedroom to make the other larger. More to be able to actually walk around a queen sized bed, but also to increase the closet space a bit.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As a temp walk in closet no issue. You don’t want to lose a bedroom. Come sale time you’re losing a lot of money missing a bedroom
I agree with this. If it's temporary, definitely go for it. However, barring an excellent A+ location, 2 bedrooms isn't ideal.

I'd say that even as a single person, I'd want 3 beds and 2 baths.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:25 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,280,356 times
We turned the smallest bedroom in the house into our laundry room/my closet. We didn't know where to put the laundry and I really didn't want to walk down two flights of stairs to the basement. Then I realized that we could turn that bedroom into the laundry because there is a wall that is shared with a bathroom and we can steal the plumbing from there and it wouldn't be too expensive.

As for the "closet" part, I have three dressers, a vanity and 2 jewelry armoires-one is a full length mirror with the jewelry case inside. It even has it's own closet-but a tiny one. One of my projects for this year is to reorganize the room.

Cat

Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,156,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You bring up a good point. What does it mean to enjoy your stuff. If the stuff is just present, but not really being used (i.e. classic hoarders), is that enjoyment?

Is storing and keeping enjoyment?
The OP wants to have it in an environment and space that will make it more available and useful. That brings them enjoyment.

To. Each. Their. Own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House