Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 11:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Wicky and Captain Shah: you are both barking at the wrong guy. Get a life.
YOU did ask about the coronavirus. It sounds like you are trying to make your house air tight from outside air. Generally speaking, that's impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 12:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Wicky and Captain Shah: you are both barking at the wrong guy. Get a life.
I thought it was very funny. I can't believe my luck to actually find a gif with some kind of vents in it.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:25 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
By the way, I have a great life...thanks for asking.
Asking what?

Old 03-08-2020, 01:13 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What vent are you talking about? This makes no sense.

Many wall-units have a vent that can be opened and closed.

Old 03-08-2020, 02:34 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Thanks but I doubt that. When neighbors use the leaf blower outside the dusts get into our house.
The poster you responded to is correct. HVAC's use an inside air intake, not outside air. If you had outside air your would never be able to get the home cool and dehumidified.

As to dust and smells coming in, rest assured there are many places where outside air could be coming in, whether it be door thresholds or lack of proper seals around doors, windows, etc.
So you will smell dope and such coming in from such places and then getting circulated by the A/C once it hits the intake and spreads through the ducting and registers.
If you want to decrease outside air coming in, address some of the things I mentioned.
Many local electric companies will do a free home inspection to help you reduce energy consumption by identify air leaks/intrusion.

`

Old 03-08-2020, 04:51 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Many wall-units have a vent that can be opened and closed.
Right, you are talking about a 'supply' vent, the place where your conditioned air comes from. The trick is that the ductwork behind that vent does not come from outside. The 'return' vent, the place where the AC unit pulls air from, is INSIDE the house for residential units. Central, mini-split, or window units, they all pull the air from inside the house, cool it, and return the air.

Take a look at your house. Do you have any vents in the walls with ductwork leading to your air handler? If you have a window unit, take the plastic cover off the front of the unit. The cover immediately under the supply vent. You will see a filter, a screen, and behind that a fan. That is because the AC unit pulls air from inside the house, cools it over the evaporator coil, and returns it into the house.

Look around your house again. In several areas, typically low on the wall, you are going to see a louvered vent, about 18" high, about the same wide. No fan inside, you never feel airflow coming from it. This is the air 'return' for central air units, called as such because it returns air from the house to the HVAC unit.

Don't take my word for this. Look online, there are a thousand simplified diagrams for residential units. Look at the units in your house. You will not find ductwork coming from the outside and feeding air to the inside. You will find refrigerant lines that are only large enough to pass liquid, similar to a plumbing line.

Houses get outside air in many ways. Open a window. Soffit/ridge vents for your attic (not connected to your HVAC in any way). Leaks around doors and windows. Every time you go into or out of the house through the door you exchange air. The one way houses do not get outside air is through the HVAC machinery. It would be way too expensive, too complex, and take too much space to install an economizer (a thing that mixes inside and outside air). It would reduce the efficiency of your HVAC considerably, having to condition outside air.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:41 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
There are some systems that pull a small amount of outside air inside when its running. The OP may have one of these systems. Our old system was like that.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:57 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
There are some systems that pull a small amount of outside air inside when its running. The OP may have one of these systems. Our old system was like that.
Give us an example of one then, as I am not familiar with any home HVAC systems that have an air-intake into the air-handler from an outside source.
I am not an HVAC expert, but it seems counter-intuitive that such a system would exist.

I suspect the OP might be assuming the outside unit is somehow pulling air in, which of course is not accurate.

`

Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Give us an example of one then, as I am not familiar with any home HVAC systems that have an air-intake into the air-handler from an outside source.
I am not an HVAC expert, but it seems counter-intuitive that such a system would exist.

I suspect the OP might be assuming the outside unit is somehow pulling air in, which of course is not accurate.

`
It would be a fresh air exchange system.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:40 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

`
Just google fresh air exchange systems. Our old system had a unit that would pull in air from a duct leading outside. The filter was located there as well, actually 2 filters. We could turn it on or off with the thermostat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House