Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 03:07 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times

Advertisements

I was really only kidding about the Flex-Seal but I see the commercials constantly (it does come in clear). I' m thinking you have a metal box inside your bricks; if you can get it out try to replace it with a plastic one that you can just glue in with some construction adhesive...or Flex-Seal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 06:19 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Yes it is a metal box enclosed in the brick and mortar structure that every home in my neighborhood has. I am the second owner of the home. The mail box was coroding from the top and along its sides pretty extensively. It is definitely leaking thru the brick and mortar that is above the top of the mail box insert. I will try to get it out had no idea that was possible.

My wife has sealed it on top before. I put two pieces of metal inside the box, along the bottom and on one side as the corrosion has opened up a big gap in these two areas adn I can see corrosion on top of the mailbox too

Thanks for all the advice and products to use

Old 03-10-2020, 06:30 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Yep, get the rusted-out metal box out of there by any means possible. It's probably just a slip fit and stuck in there with some mortar, but they might have secured it with some kind of bracket, in which case you may have to do some cutting and grinding. Then replace it with a plastic one and DON'T secure it in there (except maybe a tiny amount of silicone caulk right up at front where you can cut it free in the future).

If the mail box is corroded out, you will not be able to magically seal the brick structure so that water can't get to it. (unless you do something so drastic that it looks terrible) That's why they put the metal box in there in the first place.

Would you be allowed to just knock the whole thing down and replace it with an ordinary mail box on a pole?

Old 03-10-2020, 03:03 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yep, get the rusted-out metal box out of there by any means possible. It's probably just a slip fit and stuck in there with some mortar, but they might have secured it with some kind of bracket, in which case you may have to do some cutting and grinding. Then replace it with a plastic one and DON'T secure it in there (except maybe a tiny amount of silicone caulk right up at front where you can cut it free in the future).

If the mail box is corroded out, you will not be able to magically seal the brick structure so that water can't get to it. (unless you do something so drastic that it looks terrible) That's why they put the metal box in there in the first place.

Would you be allowed to just knock the whole thing down and replace it with an ordinary mail box on a pole?
I smell this turning into another HOA discussion...

Old 03-10-2020, 04:01 PM

1,185 posts, read 750,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I smell this turning into another HOA discussion...
Nah. Most of the area the OP lives in is deed-restricted but not HOA. I’m fairly certain we live really close.

Some have taken theirs down. It just looks lousy.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:00 AM

Im pretty sure it would be an HOA issue to change to a different design. Wondering why they did not put a plastic box in there to start?

Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Wondering why they did not put a plastic box in there to start?
Depending on the age- they maynot have been around then. Or, as I lamented to earlier they are not that sturdy to support the brick and wet mortar when initially done.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:01 AM

Ok thanks. The home was built in 1999 as far as age is concerned. Alco, the brick structure looks like it was replaced right under the mailbox door in front facing the street so the metal box is not original. I bought the home in 2010 and did not replace the metal box before so the metal box that is badly corroded is at least 10 years old. ALso looks like it will not slide out easily as some must do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House