Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 06:37 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to do area rugs? Maybe refinish floors later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 06:39 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
What do you mean "worn out"? Do you mean it's worn down to the point you can see the subfloor?

No, I'm willing to bet a sixpack of fine beer that all it needs is a good cleaning and waxing with a floor wax that contains a color agent and it'll look just fine. Worst case you have it very lightly sanded and refinished and it'll be good to go for another 40 years at least - more if you'll take care of it this time.

There are houses 200+ years old with their original wood floors that still look great.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
However why not refinish the floors? Hardwood can look completely worn and you think that they need to be replaced. Getting them refinished makes him look brand new!
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Is it possible to do area rugs? Maybe refinish floors later?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What do you mean "worn out"? Do you mean it's worn down to the point you can see the subfloor?
My first thought as well, but I decided to take OP as being accurate in his description. Hardwood floors can be sanded and refinished multiple times, but at a certain point multiple standings will expose the tongue and groove connecting the planks. Once that is exposed the planks start to buckle, as there is nothing holding them flat.

This occurs before you get to the subfloor.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
My first thought as well, but I decided to take OP as being accurate in his description. Hardwood floors can be sanded and refinished multiple times, but at a certain point multiple standings will expose the tongue and groove connecting the planks. Once that is exposed the planks start to buckle, as there is nothing holding them flat.

This occurs before you get to the subfloor.
Ah, good point.

Why on earth would 43 year old floors have been sanded so many times to be into the tongue and groove?

Old 03-11-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Ah, good point.

Why on earth would 43 year old floors have been sanded so many times to be into the tongue and groove?
OCD prior homeowner?

Granted, it is really, really unlikely.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:03 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I can't imagine ripping up hardwood floors to put carpet in. These days people are doing quite the opposite. I would refinish the floors and perhaps put down an area rug before I would rip out good floors but many people put carpet over hardwood. I saw it a lot in older houses in NC. They would even advertise them as "hardwood under carpet".

Old 03-11-2020, 08:22 AM

One more thought for consideration. Ripping out hardwood will reduce floor height by 3/4”, so you will need to address this at threshold transitions. Adding carpet is a minor change in thickness by comparison and easily addressed with transition strips.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:30 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Find a new contractor.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:34 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
While you’re at it maybe ask for a quote about replacing the granite countertops with some beautiful linoleum

Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
Thanks for all the comments.

The hardwood just has some bad places in it such as from moving furniture or in some places slightly looking like it's cracking or rotting out. But none of this is major by any means. I feel certain it can be refinished and look fine. Refinishing the hardwood is certainly an option. I just haven't gotten a quote for that yet. Baby steps.

I'm just one of those people that prefers carpet in the living room area. I'm not knocking the hardwood, don't get me wrong with this.

I'm just saying it's time to do something in the living room and I might go with carpet over the hardwood. I can always take up the carpet later down the road and refinish the hardwood.

That's one of the major reasons I posted this, because I will not be taking up that hardwood unless there's a very good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House