Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 AM

2 posts, read 23,421 times

Advertisements

P.S. I have had a woodstove in my home all of my life. Wood cook stove, wood heating stoves,....etc. I still wish I had the Schrader. And, ....a little side note. I went to school with the Schraders. And I still like the stove!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
From what I have seen and been told, they improved on but never bested the design of the classic franklin stove. Different companies sell versions of the franklin stove. For the most part, you get what you pay for. If you pay for lots of chrome or nickle and bells and whistles, you get a lot of chrome and whistles. IF you pay for engineering, you get better engineering. It appears that the better operating stoves tend to be a bit plain. Prettier stoves tend to be decorations more than heating devices.

My BIL had a plain franklin stove in his living room. One aok log woudl burn (or smolder) all night and heat the whole house. Some parts of the house woudl be too hot while the outskirts were a bit chilly. He used a fan to move the air around and it helped some.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
A "Dickson Unit" If you can find one.It has served me well for 40 + years

Old 12-27-2014, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 800 times
My old man burned a double door schrader for roughly 20 years. You walk into his basement today it looks like it just left the show room. Minus the cosmetics of good use. I purchased a tad larger schrader in good condition to heat my home and it does just that without any hesitation. Very long burn time and tough as nails. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
The larger the firebox, the more different lengths of wood you can burn! (You don't have to cut ALL short small pieces of wood to build a fire.) You can build a small or large fire in a woodstove with a large firebox. You can only build a small fire in a small woodstove.

And with a large flat top, you can even cook a turkey on top of the stove! Needs to be a large enough surface for a large roasting pan. (No upwards curves in the middle - and not a fireplace insert.)

The drawback to a larger stove is it takes up a LOT of room because woodstoves also need a lot of clearance from the walls as well as a hearth (if installed to code).

Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 PM

266 posts, read 449,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frbenson View Post
I'm in the process of buying a small home (890 sq.ft), which comes with a Schrader stove for supplemental heat. From all that I read on-line, Schrader stoves are highly inefficient and not clean burning. Can anyone recommend a quality brand as a replacement? (And one where the fire is visible.) I'm willing to spend up to $1500...but less would be even better!

Frank
Get a pot belly wood stove and install a catalytic after burner to insert into the flue immediately after the leaving the stove.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
The OP probably has made a decision way before now as his post was on 04-24-2008....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House