Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM

112 posts, read 51,240 times

Advertisements

Not sure this is the right place for this - MOD if you need to move it, please feel free.

I am getting overrun again with what I was told are called Asian Lady Bugs. I think of them as stink bugs. But this year, they have been hanging around the house - inside - much of the winter. I'm afraid when it really warms up I am going to be in trouble. Is there a solution to get rid of these things? We had these plastic boxes that hung on the windows, had some type of a solution in them, but they didn't work that well. I'd like to get ahead of this.

Last edited by elnina; 03-27-2020 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
LOL. It may be just me but the way I read your title made me think an Asian lady was bugging you. Perhaps the title could be changed to Asian ladybugs. Just a thought.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:33 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
They look nothing alike! Asian lady bug look like regular lady bugs - NOTHING like stink bugs - what is the point of your post?

Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
They look nothing alike! Asian lady bug look like regular lady bugs - NOTHING like stink bugs - what is the point of your post?
Except they are orange instead of red. We normally have them bad around here, but so far I haven't noticed any.

Unrelated, but I'm seeing a huge amount of Crane flies (aka mosquito hawk) this year. I have never seen them so bad.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:29 AM

Good lord. Ladybugs. I am not sure their technical name but everyone I know who has them calls them Asian LADYBUGS. Yea, they might be more orange-y than a regular LADYBUG. The point of my post was to try to find a solution to my problem. Once the temps start warming up, they will proliferate. I am trying to get rid of them.
In Emily Latella's voice (I guess). "Never mind."

Old 03-26-2020, 08:46 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Those Asian Ladybugs are a nuisance and they also bite. I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of them. In fall they started coming in through the tiny hole in my kitchen vinyl window frame. I put tape over the hole and just smashed the bugs with a damp cloth and sprayed hairspray on the few that were flying around. Good luck. People can laugh all they want until they are the one who gets bitten by these little pests.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:36 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
The Asian Lady Beetle has a very distinctive white “M” shape on the back of its head and they can vary in color, usually orange, yellowish tan, or red with black spots.
They do bite if provoked or moved. Their bites are not poisonous or extremely painful, but in some cases, the bite of an Asian lady beetle can cause an allergic reaction leading to Rhinoconjunctivitis, commonly known as “pink-eye.”
They also can stain curtains and other fabric material with their secretions, known as hemolymph, that they use as a defensive odor when under attack.
If you have a dog, you should pay attention to your dogs mouth.
There have been cases in which beetles have attached themselves to the roof of the dogs’ mouth causing infection and severe illness over time without treatment.

They don't do any physical damage to property, except for eating garden plants and crops, their invasion of homes by the thousands is a big nuisance. Good news - they do not reproduce indoors or attack wood, food or clothing.

To get rid of them you probably would need professional help, as is advised to seal every crack and crevice of your house.
For minor infestations, use sticky tape or vacuum pests up for removal, but be sure not to squash them as they may attempt to bite, leave stains, or put yourself at risk for allergic reactions.

Here are some tips how to get rid of a mild infestation:
https://www.orkin.com/other/beetles/...n-lady-beetles
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef416

Good luck!!

Last edited by elnina; 03-27-2020 at 01:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 06:17 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Lady Beetles are beneficial insects in the garden, but I know they are a real pain in the house. I haven’t had them in GA, but in Ohio they got into the house every year. I just vacuumed them up.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Those Asian Ladybugs are a nuisance and they also bite. I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of them. In fall they started coming in through the tiny hole in my kitchen vinyl window frame. I put tape over the hole and just smashed the bugs with a damp cloth and sprayed hairspray on the few that were flying around. Good luck. People can laugh all they want until they are the one who gets bitten by these little pests.
I HAVE been bitten by one of these menaces and it hurts. Occasionally, one goes down my shirt. UGH. Currently, I have the mini-vacuum nearby at all times and am just vacuuming them up. I did notice on the window frame/where it slides that there is an opening there that must go into the frame itself, so I am going to cover that up, too. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The Asian Lady Beetle has a very distinctive white “M” shape on the back of its head and they can vary in color, usually orange, yellowish tan, or red with black spots.
They do bite if provoked or moved. Their bites are not poisonous or extremely painful, but in some cases, the bite of an Asian lady beetle can cause an allergic reaction leading to Rhinoconjunctivitis, commonly known as “pink-eye.”
They also can stain curtains and other fabric material with their secretions, known as hemolymph, that they use as a defensive odor when under attack.
If you have a dog, you should pay attention to your dogs mouth.
There have been cases in which beetles have attached themselves to the roof of the dogs’ mouth causing infection and severe illness over time without treatment.

They don't do any physical damage to property, except for eating garden plants and crops, their invasion of homes by the thousands is a big nuisance. Good news - they do not reproduce indoors or attack wood, food or clothing.

To get rid of them you probably would need professional help, as is advised to seal every crack and crevice of your house.
For minor infestations, use sticky tape or vacuum pests up for removal, but be sure not to squash them as they may attempt to bite, leave stains, or put yourself at risk for allergic reactions.

Here are some tips how to get rid of a mild infestation:
https://www.orkin.com/other/beetles/...n-lady-beetles
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef416

Good luck!!
This is great info, too. Thank you so much. I had no idea they could cause conjunctivitis. I WAS aware of being careful with my dog, who so far has not expressed an interest in catching them! They do smell, and a couple of years ago, I could see little 'stink nests' in the corner of the windows on the outside of the house, so I thought that was drawing them in. Been vacuuming them up for two days now. Not a complete infestation yet, but once it warms up, they will be everywhere. Trying to stay ahead of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House