Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 08:22 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Many, MANY threads about privacy fence on this forum.
Why don't you search for some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 12:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Unless you plan to be out of there in less than 5 years, plant the trees anyway. You're going to need them in the future as well as wishing they were in there today. That won't change.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:40 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Get yourself a camping tent that has a wide opening. Point the opening towards the sun, tie back the flaps, and voila! you are getting a tan with the tent walls keeping away their prying eyes.

This will work unless they walk down your fence-line and around to the back and peek in that way... If that happens, then you'll have to set up some kind of barrier in front of the opening of the tent, close enough to block them, but not the sun.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:03 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Trees can cause a LOT of damage to property, and especially foundations and underground systems and pipes. Not to mention, sunning damages your skin and makes you look old before your time. Sunning even leads to skin cancer, which if it metastasizes to other locations can lead to early death.

How important is this?

Old 04-04-2020, 10:57 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
I was kidding on the drone btw.

ComeCloser-I'm doing a good thing by planting trees that are no where near any type of foundations, etc. It's extremely important I have privacy in my OWN backyard.

Why is this turning into a thread on skin cancer? If you can't suggest anything on the topic I posted please don't respond.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Well the trees are out. We found a landscaping company that can install 15' trees but they would need to be 8' from the fence and that would cut into our yard too much. So yesterday I sat behind my grill with the lid opened, lol. Looking to buy a portable privacy screen

Old 04-06-2020, 11:05 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Since you guys gave good advice on my bumpy yard I need some more: So my backyard neighbors have a clear shot view into our yard. We have a 6' fence but they are elevated and can see right over it. They have two early 20s sons and they are always going on their deck and watching me when I'm outside. They don't have any blinds in the back of their house so we can see straight into theirs which I find very odd. I'd like to be able to tan (topless or more) in my own yard without being ogled. I thought about planting 6 Witchita Juniper trees but they start at 6' feet and will grown very tall but that will take years. Any suggestions on how I can get instant privacy? I would need trees starting at least 8' in height or any other suggestion...TIA
Talk to your local planning authority. Fences/privacy screens over 6 feet tall often require a permit. But I was successful in getting one exactly because I wanted more privacy in an unequal elevation situation.

Plants of course don't require permits.

The only other thing I can think of is a canopy with a side wall or two. That might interfere with you getting a tan, but it would foil the horndogs.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:35 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
OP, it’s awful to find yourself with nosey neighbors. This house is in a rural area and out in the open. It was strange, seeing distant neighbors standing still and staring directly over in the yard. Many of the houses out here are screened by trees, but this house is on a bare hillside. To fix the problem, I planted trees and evergreens, and would recommend Leland Cypress or Thuja for super fast growing evergreen trees. The Leland Cypress I planted three years ago, were four to five feet tall, now they are close to twenty feet.

I also put up a fence around the hotub, because a structure is the only thing that will give you instant privacy. There are lots of structures with four walls and a solid roof for patio areas, and a solid roof would block their view. Since you like to sit in the sun though, a high wall, with decorative fast growing vines like ivy might work.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:00 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Since you guys gave good advice on my bumpy yard I need some more: So my backyard neighbors have a clear shot view into our yard. We have a 6' fence but they are elevated and can see right over it. They have two early 20s sons and they are always going on their deck and watching me when I'm outside. They don't have any blinds in the back of their house so we can see straight into theirs which I find very odd. I'd like to be able to tan (topless or more) in my own yard without being ogled. I thought about planting 6 Witchita Juniper trees but they start at 6' feet and will grown very tall but that will take years. Any suggestions on how I can get instant privacy? I would need trees starting at least 8' in height or any other suggestion...TIA
A friend had a similar type scenario & I suggested something I found which is really pretty imho. It's like a canvas tarp sortof thing ~ comes in different colors & is triangular. I'll have to search for the link. Be back when I find.

One can use more than one to have a 'Sydney Opera House' type effect.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:19 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Something like this:

https://www.coolaroousa.com/category...cy-shade-sails

https://youtu.be/qlao4EWDlJc

This site illustrates the idea with a how to video ^

Other companies under search for 'Sun Shade Sails'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House