Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 02:58 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,920 times

Advertisements

Come get my 5' diameter trunk oak tree I want cut down. Everybody wants 6k to cut it down, it's huge, they should be paying me :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:36 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Come get my 5' diameter trunk oak tree I want cut down. Everybody wants 6k to cut it down, it's huge, they should be paying me :P
No one wants yard trees as they're likely to ruin the blades at the sawmill with hidden metal.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No one wants yard trees as they're likely to ruin the blades at the sawmill with hidden metal.
Partly that, and partly the added labor. Mobilizing crew and equipment for one tree simply isn’t efficient, and the extra risk and care needed to avoid damaging houses, fences, septic tanks, sidewalks, etc simply makes it more expensive.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:53 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,920 times
Boohoo. It's surely great wood, probably 150 years old, but too close to my house for my liking.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:09 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Boohoo. It's surely great wood, probably 150 years old, but too close to my house for my liking.
I am sure it is. But before it can be sold, it needs to be milled and kiln dried. At that point the wood is worth something, nor before.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:25 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Quote:

Are you asking folks with a lumber mill or landscapers to take down the tree? We have multiple lumber jack type folks around here who will take down old growth trees and either pay cash for the tree or give back a portion of the lumber in exchange for the tree. Here's one of them, although I'm sure they're not near enough to your tree for them to mill your tree: https://kamuelahardwoods.com/ But perhaps there's someone similar near you?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:32 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
In my corner of flyover America, there are numerous beautiful limestone houses, churches, offices, commercial buildings, etc still left from the late 19th/early 20th century.

Let's say $$$ and time was not an issue, would one even be able to find the architects and skilled labor necessary to build a similar structure today?
I have lots of builder friends, some of them are very talented but they don't do that quality of work commercially.
One friend built a gorgeous garden shed, larger than the average shed, overhung roof with gables and a front deck.
People rung his doorbell asking how much would he charge, he said at least $10K.

As for materials, you can find absolutely anything.
I helped him build a custom deck, all teak and mahogany, not something you can source at home depot.
The wood was so hard a nail gun was useless, every hole had to be drilled, then screwed.

My house cost less than that deck.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:41 PM

601 posts, read 458,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Wait, why would yard trees have metal in them?

Old 04-16-2020, 09:42 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,080 times
How hard would it be to find an architect who is competent in traditional building design? It seems like the profession of architect is almost dead, and builders today just reuse autocad building models.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:52 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I guess the bottom line is, why worry about building a house that will last two hundred years, when most houses become obsolete in much less time due to changes in taste, style, energy concerns, "the neighborhood going south", etc..
"Only in America..."
I had a friend, who was having a new home built in Germany. He told me that the only building code was that he had to prove it would last 500 years. If you asked, "why?" the town leaders pointed to 800 year old houses and said, "That's why..."
It's a waste of time and materials to build ephemeral houses that need expensive maintenance.
Wood framed houses in America are the worst offenders - susceptible to sun, water, wind, fire, vermin, mold, mildew, flying debris, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House