Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 10:27 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,407,643 times

Advertisements

I order a new front door from Home Depot back in November of 2020 and incredibly it is still not installed, now, 8 months later! What are we doing negotiating peace in the Middle East? If I had only known what an incredible PITA this whole thing was going to be, I would have never ordered a new door in the fist place (and saved myself $3,600 which I paid in full a long time ago). I mean, who really cares that much about a friggin’ door? I keep thinking I should cancel the whole thing and just ask for my money back, but they keep saying almost … almost.

What happened? It took two months just to place the order. So, many complications and questions and miscommunications and lost paperwork and redone paperwork and whatnot. But everything was finalized and paid for in early January. I was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks to manufacture the precious door, then it could be installed. Well, the manufacturer missed the deadline again and again and again and again and again and again. Finally, at the end of May the precious door is ready! Home Depot calls and wants to set up installation for the next week. Well, sorry, that week and the four weeks after that, we will be on vacation. The HD guy gets upset on the phone: “We can’t warehouse your door for a month!” Well, I explained the situation and assured them that they could most certainly hold the door that long.

We get back from vacation and have an appointment set up for installation. But the day before, the installer calls to cancel citing weather. What? Sure, there was a tropical storm …. on the other side of the state! We weren’t even under a tropical storm watch. Our door is protected from the element by a large overhang. Anyway, the day it would have been installed, it was gray with a few sprinkles.

So, they were supposed to install the precious door today. However, I got a call from the installer saying that there was a single bore on the right door (it is a two door set). I only had a handle set for one door. Oh, no problem, I could just get a handle for the other door (one that would hopefully match the handel/lock set I bought back in December 2020. However, the installer said that that solution wouldn’t work (for reasons I still fail to understand), that the door was made incorrectly and I will have to have a whole new panel made. I told him to communicate that with Home Depot. Then I get a call from Home Depot telling me that I need to buy a dummy door handle that will match the one I already have. I told her that according to the installer that wouldn’t work for some reason. She just reads me the order sheet saying (in a not very pleasant tone): “Well, that’s what you ordered.” And she asks me more technical questions about the GD door. I tell her: “Look, I am not a door expert. I just answered questions about various options I was asked by an HD door department employee.” Then she says: “Well, I am not a door expert either. I am just filling in for so and so who is on vacation.” So, I just sent her a picture of the handle/lock I already have and asked if she (or someone) could find a appropriate kind of handle that would be match and work on the other side (a dummy handle). I haven’t heard back from her.

In the meantime, I both called back and texted the installation guy to try to figure out exactly is wrong with the door and why getting dummy handle won’t work (like he said).

At this point I am concerned that there is indeed something wrong with the door, but Home Depot will refuse to recognize any responsibility for the error: “It’s what you ordered!” I am right in assuming that the HD door department people wouldn’t be so incompetent as to let me order a non-functional door/handle/lock combo? How does this make any sense?

Also, this is why I will never ever ever get any serious non-necessary (cosmetic) work done on my interior. If we sell the house when the kitchen and bath are 40 years out of date, so what? We will just lower the price.

Last edited by Jill_Schramm; 07-13-2021 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 10:37 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I order a new front door from Home Depot…How does this make any sense?

You answered your own question with your opening statement!
The Complaint Dept. is right outside the door that says “EXIT”.

Get your money- then deal with a “real” door vendor!

Old 07-13-2021, 10:46 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
This is why I never, ever use big box stores for any kind of installation.

I would do everything in writing from now on (text or email), so there is no, "I never said that," issues. I would also just try to cancel the order at this point.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:53 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
I wouldn't put up with it for that long. Cancel and get the doors from somewhere else.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:05 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Do you know, I felt like I got a headache from reading your post.
OMG, that is a nightmare for a freaking door.

I feel for you, for sure. It is insanity at its peak.
Would you be able to cancel it all and get your money back?

I agree, this is like one of those reasons why certain things I just don't do in my apartment. Even having my kitchen faucet changed, which, actually was done today, was nothing short of a nightmare, and the new faucet didn't come with the sprayer, please.

OMG, do I feel for you on this.

good luck to you.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:33 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Look at these doors
https://www.grokedoor.com/modern-entry-doors.html

Old 07-13-2021, 02:39 PM

474 posts, read 406,685 times
The larger question is how to find a competent source, a correct door, and a competent, responsible installer.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:56 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Those doors surely cost way more than the ugly doors from HD.
I just wish that this kind of doors (pretty standard in my country) would be readily available in the US:

amadorfire.org

Old 07-13-2021, 05:40 PM

6,364 posts, read 4,193,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Those doors surely cost way more than the ugly doors from HD.
I just wish that this kind of doors (pretty standard in my country) would be readily available in the US:

amadorfire.org
That door and latching system brings security to an ultimate level!

Old 07-13-2021, 06:25 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You answered your own question with your opening statement!
The Complaint Dept. is right outside the door that says “EXIT”.

Get your money- then deal with a “real” door vendor!
I agree. I got a beautiful new door from a ProVia vendor: 2 emails, one measurement, and no hassle at all. I've bought three doors from the same company, and their work has been fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House