Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 12:38 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

^^Very nice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 12:42 PM

Well I'm furloughed for another 30 days so I guess I will be starting on my stupid yard, LOL

Old 05-17-2020, 04:31 PM

1,353 posts, read 788,896 times
Here are the major accomplishments so far:
* Put three tool cabinets on the wall in the basement;
* Put a long bright LED light from Harbor Freight in the basement. It made a big difference, so I put two extras in my garage, and one in my shed;
* Put 3 puck lights in the dark closet in the basement;
* Patched the holes and painted the ceiling and all walls in the garage, plus some elevated floor area and the door;
* Successfully dropped the lawn service and started DIY lawn management.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
Going to be putting down rubber mulch in the flower beds. We just got the networking hooked up in the Panel in our closet. Its nice to have wired Ethernet in LR, bedrooms, 2 dens, and media room

Old 05-18-2020, 08:08 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,322,210 times
My projects are getting ready to start.

1: Getting ready to redeck my back decks. They were done in PT wood decking about 15 years ago, and we made the mistake 2 years ago of using the Restore 10X crap on them trying to bring the wood back. Followed the directions to a T with cleaning, priming and then putting on the 10X. Failed in a couple months AND it caused a couple of the boards to rot. Decided that this time we're going to use solid PVC decking (probably Azek). Which means new railing as well, and match the front porch railing to the back deck railing.

And 2: that back door is getting replaced by a 72x80 slider. More light and a wider opening to get out onto the deck.

3: replace the front door. Right now it's a 32x80 white steel door which looks ugly. AND at 32" wide, it's a PITA to get anything in and out like a fridge, washer/dryer, or worse a couch. Have to take the door apart to get anything in. So I'm replacing it with a 36" wide door. This is the one I want to use, and will be framing it in a similar fashion.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:27 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
We're installing a fiberglass pool. We're into low maintenance and a 1 1/2 day installation.

They made a mountain of dirt that had to be hauled off. Now, I need a final grading and the dirt power raked in order to put down sod.

Only problem was paying for all the concrete. We were going to install a large deck on the back of the house, but I decided to put in 20' wide concrete the length of the pool.

And I have 20 arborvitae's to plant across the back for privacy.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:53 PM

Carpet and wood flooring going in tomorrow! The basement electric was done last Tuesday. Built my treadmill today so I can't wait to try it out tomorrow!

Old 05-20-2020, 01:35 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
So far I painted my front door, foyer, living room, and dining room. Also pruned my lemon tree and dug out some carpet a previous owner had put down in part of my back yard. More landscaping work to come soon now that I borrowed a friend's rototiller. All that on top of a couple non-house projects, refi paperwork, and regular 40-hour work weeks.
Add my home office (second bedroom) to the list. And now I'm working on the ceilings of each of the four rooms. Painting ceilings, ugh! I probably should have done them first, but I don't look up as often as I look around. As for outdoors, my apricot tree has also been pruned and I leveled most of my backyard. Contractor is coming next week to replace >100' of perimeter fence. I'd do the work myself if I had that time, but I'm just as busy telecommuting as I was when I went into the office.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:37 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Well so far: resurfaced the driveway. new counter tops for the kitchen. finished the laundry room renovation, installed an additional 25 landscape lights (wired, low voltage), yard looks the best it ever has, and currently rebuilding the pantry closet and bathroom closets (replacing the wire shelving with solid oak shelving).

Old 05-23-2020, 06:11 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My projects are getting ready to start.

1: Getting ready to redeck my back decks. They were done in PT wood decking about 15 years ago, and we made the mistake 2 years ago of using the Restore 10X crap on them trying to bring the wood back. Followed the directions to a T with cleaning, priming and then putting on the 10X. Failed in a couple months AND it caused a couple of the boards to rot. Decided that this time we're going to use solid PVC decking (probably Azek). Which means new railing as well, and match the front porch railing to the back deck railing.

And 2: that back door is getting replaced by a 72x80 slider. More light and a wider opening to get out onto the deck.

3: replace the front door. Right now it's a 32x80 white steel door which looks ugly. AND at 32" wide, it's a PITA to get anything in and out like a fridge, washer/dryer, or worse a couch. Have to take the door apart to get anything in. So I'm replacing it with a 36" wide door. This is the one I want to use, and will be framing it in a similar fashion.

Just be careful on widening out that door opening. That’s a load bearing wall and that frame and header is critical to making sure that whole section of the home sits right. Can be done, but a bit more intensive than swapping out doors. Looks awesome though and love that door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House