Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 12:19 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t encounter that problem. My problem is extreme twisting in the washer, and the dryer.
Based on experience with everything from an industrial Kenmore that made the whole house shake, older frontloaders, very modern frontloaders and now a fairly modern toploader with no agitator... a lot depends on following the manufacturer's load/loading instructions closely. (Something I have direct experience with: my ex was one of those people who learned her household skills on Mom's 1972 appliances and thought learning to use vastly updated and changed ones was for gullible idiots. Her Ph.D. did not keep us from having no towel in the house without a bleach burn, because she knew the bleach cup was just useless junk that did the same thing as pouring it in the bottom before loading.)

I've never had any of the newer machines twist my clothes. Compact them like a steamroller on ultra-spin, yes. And I can't think of a time a dryer did anything of the kind.

I suggest you are overloading, misloading or mixing fabric types too much. And might want to look into the proper use of the three or four different load settings, including 'Delicate.'

I'd add that you might just have a crappy washer, but there is almost no variation in the function and operation of newer machines of each given type. Like refrigerators, C-R has long noted that nearly every one of the machines does its basic job very well, leaving only details and outside color as real choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes - sheets especially. I don't wind them around and yet they get so twisted and wrinkled that they never come out nice from the dryer. Of course once in the dryer they roll up in a ball and never get dry!
Shake shake shake...

Shake shake shake...

Shake yer LAUNdry.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:32 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I purposely wash clothes inside out. I've read it's better for the clothing, and in the process of turning the clothing right side out again, I find the socks and underwear that have attached themselves with static.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I purposely wash clothes inside out. I've read it's better for the clothing, and in the process of turning the clothing right side out again, I find the socks and underwear that have attached themselves with static.
If only there was some way to eliminate dryer static. You know, there's a fortune waiting for the guy who figures out a solution to that.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes - sheets especially. I don't wind them around and yet they get so twisted and wrinkled that they never come out nice from the dryer. Of course once in the dryer they roll up in a ball and never get dry!
It seems to the way the new He machines are designed. Kind of pain, no? But a first world problem.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:59 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I've never had any of the newer machines twist my clothes. Compact them like a steamroller on ultra-spin, yes. And I can't think of a time a dryer did anything of the kind.

I suggest you are overloading, misloading or mixing fabric types too much.
Agree that you may be overloading the dryer. If there's no space for the heated air to circulate and the fabric to tumble, it won't!

Old 04-26-2020, 02:14 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
If only there was some way to eliminate dryer static. You know, there's a fortune waiting for the guy who figures out a solution to that.

Oh, yeah. There is! Figured out hundreds of years ago - clotheline and drying racks .

Wool dryer balls or soap nuts are pretty helpful too...

Old 04-26-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, yeah. There is! Figured out hundreds of years ago - clotheline and drying racks .
Used 'em for years. In fact, the house I grew up in had an absurdly large supply - there was a tall frame, maybe 10-12 feet, with big swings attached, and the crossbar was the other end for four pulley-riding clotheslines at least... 50 feet long. An army base's worth. I dunno why the owner built it.

Then I lived in New England, where the few days between snow and 100% humidity made any such thing pretty useless.

And now in 17% humidity Colorado... I rarely have enough of a load to hang out. I'll hang dog blankets and the like over the porch railing, though.

Line-dried towels, though... mmmm. Maybe I need a little clothesline again.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:35 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Also people who have static problem buy too much polyester. Cotton doesn't cling.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
I have never had this happen, that I recall. I'm over 60, so have been doing laundry for decades.

I actually frequently intentionally turn some clothing inside out before washing. To make sure the interior gets clean, and to protect the outside of the fabric.

I do, however, lose a sock now and then. Where DO those missing socks go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House