Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 10:11 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Help please!

My corded lawn mower must be close to 40 years old. A Craftsman (from Sears) Model 900 370510.
It's been out in the elements unprotected for years and we've used it all this time.

But I think I want a new mower. Why when this one still works?
Well, it's not self propelled. AND, I'm thinking that surely there've been new innovations in lawn mowers in 40 years that might make the new mowers lighter, easier to push, easier to change the bag, better mulching capabilities, etc.

BUT, I'm having a devil of a time trusting the online reviews I see.

Mostly because I don't know if these reviews are smartly veiled paid ads posing as objective reviews.
But also the ones I see highly rated are brands I don't know (Greenworks, Sun Joe, Worx, Earthwise)...

...that haven't been around as long as the old-fogey brands I know: Toro, Honda, Craftsman, Kobalt, Ryobi, ....and Black and Decker (which some people haven't rated that high...so now I'm wary of B&D)

So I've come here to my CD friends!
Any recommendations for a CORDED (electric) lawn mower. that will last 40 years!....like my old Sears Craftsman?

I have a small yard so I'm looking for easy to push, 18" blade span (deck housing about 21-22"). Mulching or bag. Self-propelled walk behind.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 10:31 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Sel

Depending on ow much grass you have to cut, I would take a close look at battery powered lawn mowers.
I have very little grass to cot and I just bought a WORX battery powered lawnmower.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:40 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,878 times
I've never considered anything but a gas powered mower. Most of my homes have had large lawns, to the point where I bought a riding mower for the last one.

But now I have a relatively small, scrubby backyard as is common here in Colorado, that could use a good maintenance mow perhaps two or three times a season. For the first time I'm considering not just an electric, but a rechargeable. I don't need a ton of power, I'm going to set it to mulch all the cuttings back on the ground, and possibly having to charge it more than once to complete the job is far less of a problem the keeping a gas and oil engine fed and running. And at that, I suspect I am underestimating how long the charge will last. I do have a fair slope to the yard and my knees are not what they once were, so some degree of self propel will be under consideration.

All in all, unless you have large lawns with thick turf and already have other fuel-powered devices around, I think we're in a good era to consider either electric or battery power mowers.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:19 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
I have a very small yard, takes about 20 minutes to mow. I purchased an electric mower from Lowes, it's a kobalt. Very happy with it.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:23 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I just switched to battery powered - about 5,000 square feet and it takes 30 minutes. It is quite flat but the mower has great self-propel. I was going to get a second battery, just in case, but I can always get it mowed on a single one.

I had a corded mower many years ago (when I was 15 mowing my parents' lawn - maybe the model you have now!) and it's a pain dealing with keeping the cord out of the way and having to wind it back up. Gas mowers are obviously more complicated mechanically and more things can go wrong. I had one for 20 years and the carb finally went out - got that replaced and it was messed up after that so went to battery - no more oil changes, etc.

Last edited by reneeh63; 04-26-2020 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
II had a corded mower many years ago (when I was 15 mowing my parents' lawn - maybe the model you have now!) and it's a pain dealing with keeping the cord out of the way and having to wind it back up.
Not to mention the amount of electrical tape you go through.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:55 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
1. Battery, not cord.
2. Look at EGO, 56 volt. 21-inch, self propelled. $500. My neighbor just bought one to replace his ICE mower.
3. We mow our 6000 sqft lot with a duplex on it with an 18-volt Ryobi and are quite happy with it after 3+ years of use.

Last edited by davebarnes; 04-26-2020 at 06:05 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
2. Look at EGO, 56 volt. 21-inch, self propelled. $500.
3. We mow our 6000 sqft lot with a duplex on it with an 18-volt Ryobi and are quite happy with it after 3+ years of use.
Typical EGO-boost from db.

Ouch, though. I think my good-quality trimmer, left behind by the former owner and repaired (broken string drum) for $20 will get me through another summer. Good enough for the dogs, although I would like a good mulching cut to get rid of leaves, small sticks etc.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:18 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Do you need electric? Would just a manual reel mower do the job? Light, efficient, no cords, no gas, no batteries, will Absolutely last 40+ years (actually might be a good idea to buy one that's already 40+ years old). I had one and would Absolutely have kept using one if I hadn't moved onto an acre lot (and now I'm on 60 acres, so need yet something different again).

I doubt you'll be able to buy anything anywhere near as good as what you already own. Very little is made to last longer than the warranty period these days.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Do you need electric? Would just a manual reel mower do the job? Light, efficient, no cords, no gas, no batteries, will Absolutely last 40+ years (actually might be a good idea to buy one that's already 40+ years old). I had one and would Absolutely have kept using one if I hadn't moved onto an acre lot (and now I'm on 60 acres, so need yet something different again).

I doubt you'll be able to buy anything anywhere near as good as what you already own. Very little is made to last longer than the warranty period these days.
On the last house, the one large enough to warrant a rider, there were corners and areas it either couldn't get to or were too hard to cover, I bought a matching Husqvarna 20-inch pusher. It cut so well and so fast that I often mowed whole areas while getting the corners, instead of having to maneuver the rider around them.

Six years, a few adjustments of the cutting bar tension, and it was still like new. Anyone who hasn't pushed a modern, new reel mower around a little has no idea how much better they are than the iron monsters we got to shove around as kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House