Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 04:24 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times

Advertisements

HI...I have a 1930s Cape Cod where the wood side paneling and window trim on the two upstairs dormers are in disrepair. To maintain the consistency with the rest of the home (and because I am in a historic district ), I have asked the contractor to quote replacing like for like and replace the trim with wood. He is coming back and saying he highly recommends replacing the wood trim with Miratec, as it will last exponentially longer than they wood (and is cheaper). While both of those things are great, does it really look like wood?? Appearance is huge for this house, and I don't want to put anything on that seems out of place.

Anyone have familiarity with this product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 04:36 PM

4,845 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
HI...I have a 1930s Cape Cod where the wood side paneling and window trim on the two upstairs dormers are in disrepair. To maintain the consistency with the rest of the home (and because I am in a historic district ), I have asked the contractor to quote replacing like for like and replace the trim with wood. He is coming back and saying he highly recommends replacing the wood trim with Miratec, as it will last exponentially longer than they wood (and is cheaper). While both of those things are great, does it really look like wood?? Appearance is huge for this house, and I don't want to put anything on that seems out of place.

Anyone have familiarity with this product?
If you're in a historic district, I'd be directing my first question to them. Do you even have a choice?

Old 05-04-2020, 04:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
If you're in a historic district, I'd be directing my first question to them. Do you even have a choice?
Yes, there is an option if the Arch Committee approves it after submission; they won't rule before that time, and that could take a month or 2. So, I did not want to spend time going down that path unless it actually resembles wood. (We are not required to ONLY use historic materials, we just can't alter the appearance.)

Old 05-04-2020, 05:01 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Not a proponent of the exterior composites yet. They don't have enough years under the belt!

I would use PVC. When you say trim, I suppose you're referring to rake, corner, and casing(?)
The material itself shouldn't matter as long as the look/dimensions are the same. If the dormers have lapboard, Hardy smooth board should suffice.

It's all painted anyway- who would know...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House