Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 04:26 PM

355 posts, read 225,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
There is a certain rhythm to my little area. A stranger really stands out.
Yeah, you kind of know the "locals" here, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 05:01 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Sensor lights are great, not only to protect your house, but when daylight savings rolls around, if I were walking around in the dark, I like that lights blink on every few houses and some stay on for a while.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Various studies suggest that motion-triggered lights are a better deterrent than always on.

Motion sensing lights should be part of an overall system and plan, and can be integrated with cameras, interior lights, and notifications.

Another option, especially if you have a driveway, is to install remote sensors which detect larger metal objects (as small as a bicycle) moving on the driveway. Some can notify from a half mile away with a chime or signaling a relay, your phone, or starting cameras recording & uploading.
i was thinking about a sensor on the driveway and then i was questioning whether someone breaking into my home would park their car on my driveway or on the street. i think more likely on the street.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:40 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I have two large dogs, and two small dogs with the ears of a desert fox. One of the large dogs really does not like strangers. When the little dogs bark I let the big dogs out. So far they have not eaten anyone. This is a dark sky site, but if the moon is out it gets pretty bright.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:25 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
To beat the heat, I sleep all day, up all night here in Tucson. I walk my pet ferret around 2-3-4am around my 55+ mobile home park.

Last night, around 3am I caught a younger male, on a low rider bike, with a big backpack, coming out from the dark side of a trailer. There's a 3 car carport in front with blazing censor lights, it even illuminates part of the neighbor's yards. He asked me how to get out of the park, as he must have known the back entrance gate is closed (you need a clicker to open it) and I gave him direction on how to exit the park.

I don't carry a wallet or phone with me while walking my pet at night, why? If I'm mugged, then there goes my phone, and I don't have a landline, my roommate doesn't even have a phone, so who would I call at that hour of the morning. And, today, what would the police do, as they're trying hard to thin out the jail population, in some cities they're not even arresting prostitutes, drug dealers, Trespassers, shoplifters.

These thieves are very smart, they're not stupid, they're in a 55+ community where many go to sleep by 10pm, and if they see that the house is darkened inside, no lights, they figure it's safe for them, even with those bright censor lights. And what good would the cameras do?

When I leave town, I turn mine off, but I leave a light on in my house.

How about you? You feel safer with the censor lights, they're helpful, not helpful, or not?
Sensors are very effective when used in a well thought out security system. Infrared/motion sensors trigger both lights and zone alarms.
Properly placed driveway sensors with tonal variances can alert you to incoming visitors long before they ring the camera/doorbell. At night the lights provide a better sight picture as well.

Modern security systems can be linked via internet/cellular to both the owner and an armed neighbor, reducing response time and protecting property.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have two large dogs, and two small dogs with the ears of a desert fox. One of the large dogs really does not like strangers. When the little dogs bark I let the big dogs out. So far they have not eaten anyone. This is a dark sky site, but if the moon is out it gets pretty bright.
i definitely think that a dog is a critical part of any security system and would recommend one if possible. you dont have to worry about them running out of batteries or losing wifi or phone connection. no burglar wants to deal with a dog.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Well...thieves like darkness. It conceals. In some sections of my house I have dusk to dawn LED lights. In some areas it’s motion lights

Old 05-12-2020, 10:32 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
I have motion sensor lights in my backyard. One is aimed at the pool so I can see if anyone goes in after dark without my knowledge and the others are aimed at entry points, and on my stairs. I do feel a lot safer with them. Mine are solar powered and were pretty inexpensive, and well worth the peace of mind.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:14 PM

11,443 posts, read 625,943 times
Excellent........ Trespassers up to no good DO NOT LIKE IT when lights come on

Old 05-12-2020, 03:17 PM

913 posts, read 886,119 times
Yes. I also like that it lights my way when I go out in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House