U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 793 times

Advertisements

Hello! I read the forum from time to time, but today I decided to make myself a question, and listen to your opinions.
We are actually re-doing some parts of the house, and I was wondering which are the musts in a good kitchen?
I thought a lot about this but also can't decide if I need a garbage disposal or not, many people say yes, many no... So what do you think?
Also need to decide where to put the sink, still didn't decided if I want the island or no... So many thoughts but I always had problems in taking decisions!!
If you have island, which are the good sides? Which are not? Share your experiences please!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:16 PM

580 posts, read 583,904 times
Really depends on the space you have to work with and your budget. I just renovated my entire house and had a small kitchen footprint. Being that we love to cook, I made every inch of my space work. Here are the things that were important for me.

I opened it up to the dining room and living room so it didn't feel small and cut off.

Island with seating- I am very happy I was able to comfortably fit a 6' x 4' island, I have 3 seats there but could fit 4 if I needed to. I put a large, deep single bowl sink in my island. Garbage disposal was a must for me.

I put in a Cafe double oven because it is awesome and so much oven for the space. I like the option of using the smaller top oven for smaller cooking.

I went with a low profile microwave and really like it. I can't stand a big bulky micro over the range, so this one is only 10.5" high but still 1 cubic foot.

I did 42" upper cabinets to maximize storage and also put cabinets on the seating side of my island. This gave me loads of storage.

I did a pull out garbage pail next to my sink because I like it hidden and didn't want to block a walkway with a garbage bin.

I put a lot of time into planning what I needed and am very pleased with the outcome. My advice to you would be to think about how you use your kitchen and prioritize your must haves with your would be nices.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:30 PM

11,895 posts, read 5,494,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroshot View Post
Hello! I read the forum from time to time, but today I decided to make myself a question, and listen to your opinions.
We are actually re-doing some parts of the house, and I was wondering which are the musts in a good kitchen?
I thought a lot about this but also can't decide if I need a garbage disposal or not, many people say yes, many no... So what do you think?
Also need to decide where to put the sink, still didn't decided if I want the island or no... So many thoughts but I always had problems in taking decisions!!
If you have island, which are the good sides? Which are not? Share your experiences please!
You really need to sit down and make a list of what YOU must have in a kitchen. Must haves first, other things that would be nice second. Get some large sheets of paper and start drawing layouts. Ovens here, countertops there. How much would you want to store and what is it? Best place for the sink in that particular house. Where's the plumbing now? Are you willing to re-route it? Are you cooks or do you basically re-heat take out? Do you spend lots of time at home? Does the family end up gathering in the kitchen or is some other area of your house more of the "center"? A massive, perfectly outfitted kitchen could be an utter waste of effort/$$ for some people who don't spend time at home or cook.

I am not much of a cook. Just don't enjoy it that much. I don't have a lot of kitchen gadgetry and don't really entertain either. A basic kitchen with ordinary appliances laid out in any way that's easy to keep clean is perfectly fine. I wouldn't pick a house based on the kitchen. For someone else, the kitchen is the most important aspect of the house. Every aspect of it matters.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:15 PM

27,360 posts, read 17,734,498 times
In fifty years of marriage, I’ve always had a disposal. Don’t buy the cheapest.

I agree with everyone else, but I’d also add that the cook needs to decide what he or she hates the most and, therefore what things to change.

(When I remodeled my kitchen I hated having the microwave oven on the counter, and asked for a shelf for it. I wanted my oven installed under counter because I hated the space the oven built in took up. I wanted a sink that had better design. )

You have to decide what things need to change, and what things you want to add, and then figure out where you would put them and how to get them.

Google “work triangle kitchen” for ideas about efficient ways to lay out a kitchen.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:49 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,141,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In fifty years of marriage, I’ve always had a disposal. Don’t buy the cheapest.
Waste King is vastly superior to the Insinkerator disposals from the big box stores. I feel like a good disposal is a necessity.

Some obvious stuff like:
The dishwasher next to the sink, with dish and glass storage above or very close to the dishwasher.

Trash can cabinet at the prep area.

Pots, pans and utensils next to the stove.

A landing area (counter space) for things going into or coming out of the fridge is very handy.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:11 PM

15,226 posts, read 22,810,077 times
Why not hire a kitchen designer and get useful advice?

Old 05-13-2020, 06:31 AM

117 posts, read 32,403 times
Hi! So many questions! I will try to help you a bit... I have an island in my kitchen and I was very happy when we installed it. It's very useful... But it depends how much space you have in the kitchen. I have the sink in that island, and seats on the other side, it's very illuminated and useful.
Also about the disposal, I have it several years and I am happy about it, my advice is not to take the cheapest one, because those would probably break fast. Also don't throw everything in it, because it is not a garbage bin! If you want, you can compare some models here https://bestsinkdisposal.com/moen-ga...osals-reviews/.
More musts depend from you, you should sit and make a list of what you want to have in your kitchen, and then decide where to put it and how to remodel the kitchen!
Good luck with that!

Old 05-13-2020, 09:48 AM

27,360 posts, read 17,734,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Waste King is vastly superior to the Insinkerator disposals from the big box stores. I feel like a good disposal is a necessity.

Some obvious stuff like:
The dishwasher next to the sink, with dish and glass storage above or very close to the dishwasher.

Trash can cabinet at the prep area.

Pots, pans and utensils next to the stove.

A landing area (counter space) for things going into or coming out of the fridge is very handy.
There you go. But if you buy a better than basic Insinkerator, things should be fine. Don’t buy Badger. The “landing area” is a good design feature. The first item on the above list is an essential. In fact the whole list is quite good.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:48 AM

22,469 posts, read 13,865,739 times
It really depends on what YOU want in a kitchen. I would personally always have a disposal and as mentioned, an upgraded one with a little extra power. And an externally vented range hood.

I have my sink in my island and I love it because of how my kitchen is laid out as one side of my open floor plan great room. In a different layout, my preference could easily be different, such as having the sink under a window which is a very popular option.

Make sure to maintain a good working triangle between your sink, fridge and range, and a reasonable amount of counterspace that is easily accessible from the triangle.

Depending on your space and budget, things like pull out spice rack, trash can holder and pot drawers are really convenient to have although they can get a bit spendy.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 793 times
Wow, didn't expect to have so many answers! Thank you everyone for nice words and for sharing your experiences! It's very important to me! I will decide what to put then, I am thinking to get the island with the sink in it. Really liked the idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or