Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:49 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times

Advertisements

Thank you all. I've come up with a small list- reviewed them on Yelp and also on their Social Media pages.

Some of the work has been planned since I bought the house a few years ago (like having the hardwoods refinished and working a dishwasher into the kitchen). The bathrooms were added to the list out of necessity as they are the only two rooms in the house with issues (floor tile popping up in basement bath, glaze flaking off of main bath.)

Last fall, I finally felt comfortable enough to begin with at least the floors. I was hosting Christmas, so I did not want to deal with it until after. Then someone told me not to do them in the winter, better to wait (something about humidity). Then the world shut down. So, the bright side is that I have been on mandatory overtime since September and basically been able to stock up enough cash to do most, if not all, of my list.

I work from home, and would also prefer to remain in the house while the renovations occur. My sister is going through a divorce, just sold her house, and is temporarily living with our parents (with her kids and giant dog.) So I would rather not live in that circus, lol. I have thought a lot about this and it can be done. Top down will not work as the bathroom in the basement will have to be first. My office is adjacent to the stairs. To get to the main bath, I have to go through the kitchen, dining, living, and hallway. I am about 6 feet from the basement stairs. So as long as that is done first, I can pretty much avoid the rest of the house.

I have a very detailed list of what I want, broken down by room. I also know what materials I want used. So I will be able to be very specific with them. My house was already over-improved for my area when I bought it, so I have to be very budget conscious when picking finishes. Luckily I am a planner. I have been thinking about this for a long time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would hire an architect first.
I know you wrote "no major", but an architect can really help with ideas.
You can hire one for a few hours at $150+/hour.

We have used an architect 3 times.
Every time, his advice has been very worthwhile.

Then, I would draw up complete plans with item lists so you not designing/building on the fly.
Changes on paper are cheap. Halfway thru construction changes are not.
I agree. An architect or space planner. If you use an architect you need one who is in the business of space planning. Your really do not need architectural design. You need someone to think of all the things you never woudl have though of. Like can you reach the towel rack from inside the bathtub/shower, or is there enough area to place shampoos and soaps within reach. where can you store extra rolls of toiletpaper in reach in case you run out? Or is there a practical way to make someone on the toile not visible if someone else opens the door by mistake? (Mishg be as simple as re-hinging a door to open the the opposite direction).

Old 05-27-2020, 10:30 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I agree. An architect or space planner. If you use an architect you need one who is in the business of space planning. Your really do not need architectural design.

So; why hire an architect that will charge his regular fee, then pass you on to an intern. The OP clearly stated "cosmetic" issues- I'd say not only is it a waste of money, but most would probably be hard pressed to find a "architect" that would take such a minuscule task on!?

Old 05-27-2020, 11:21 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Stay away from Angie's List and Home advisor. Some really sketchy folks hang out there trying to pick up work from the unsuspecting/uninformed.

If you HAVE to have some pro assistance, go with an interior decorator or space planner. But beware, their suggestions will generally be THEIR ideas and likely be over the top.

If you don't have a good GC in mind, go to your lumber yard (NOT big box store) or a place like Ferguson and ask for people who can do your project. They will know who is good (and pays their bills!) and can suggest someone or two which might be a fit for your project. Interview them, get some references, and pick one which fits your style and project.

Be a good client and it will all work out fine. Be a jerk and it will guaranteed turn into a mess.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:00 PM

11 posts, read 14,783 times
Get bids. Check references. That means call and talk to former customers. And plan ahead. The quality people will be booked. The “guy with a truck” will be available and there is a remote chance he will do a good job, but you won’t know until you are too far in and then it will be painful.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 AM

560 posts, read 581,542 times
I'm planning on doing some renovations in a year or two and this is how I would approach this. I would hire a professional painting company for all painting, the same with the flooring. Also there are companies that specialize in kitchen, bathroom renovations. Just email them your ideas of what you want done and get a bid. Send them pictures etc. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House