Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 01:00 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times

Advertisements

Most of this sounds like stuff a painter can do, or at least for a few of them (bathroom plumbing problems, specifics not clear) could refer you to a competent person.

Do it now, then you can enjoy it; don't wait right till you're going to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 01:03 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,082,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you're going to go through the trouble of painting a popcorn ceiling spend a bit more and just get it removed.
They are horrible. And it's in the kitchen. Talk about a poorplace to put a popcorn ceiling.

The funny thing about this house I own (have a mortgage on), is that we had two realtors give us their advice on the house.

My sister's friend(realotor) said we should have put the house on the market for $170K. When Quicken loans survyed the house for me when I was getting the mortgage from them, they valued it at over $200K.

I inhereted 1/3rd of the house from my two siblings, so I want to get as much equity out of the home as possible if I sell.

I paid them $50K each ($100K) so anything I make over $100K would be a tremendous rock/foundation to my future - whatever that may be (renting apartment, trailer, new house...whatever).

If I could profit $70K on it (sell it for $185K or whatever), that would be a tremendous amount of financial stability for me, a currently single middle-aged man.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:12 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
At those prices you need to be thinking about doing that painting yourself and maybe the other repairs too. Don't let contractors eat up all your profits.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
At those prices you need to be thinking about doing that painting yourself and maybe the other repairs too. Don't let contractors eat up all your profits.
But painting a room can't be that much, can it?

The upstairs...I'll just guess it is about 500sq feet.

That can't cost that much to pay someone to do a room like that, can it? It also needs carpeting, all the way and the steps/stairs as well. I don't want any fancy carpeting, just something simple, nice new and clean, and as cheap as I need to.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:39 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Call your local ACE hardware store and ask one of the managers or old-timers who they recommend as a handyman. That's how we found our guy.

Old 06-09-2020, 04:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Established realtors often can give you names of people who do work like you need to have done. But you need to make sure you don’t spend so much fixing it up that you can’t make it back in profit. Talk to a trustworthy, established realtor for advice. Don’t go into this blind. Your house might not be worth too much of an investment.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:56 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,081 times
What you're wanting is someone to put lipstick on that pig.

Every reputable realtor should have a list of workers that do that kind of work. And they usually are quick at what they do. Check with your realtor. If they don't know painters and handymen, others in their real estate firm will know repairmen.

The thing that sells homes quicker than anything is having a home that's move in ready. And what you're wanting done is easy to do and not that expensive.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
What you're wanting is someone to put lipstick on that pig.

Every reputable realtor should have a list of workers that do that kind of work. And they usually are quick at what they do. Check with your realtor. If they don't know painters and handymen, others in their real estate firm will know repairmen.

The thing that sells homes quicker than anything is having a home that's move in ready. And what you're wanting done is easy to do and not that expensive.
I mean...the home isn't a hunk of crud.

It definitely needs some lipstick, though. My father just had a $20K retaining wall installed on the outside of the home just before he died a couple years ago. I know that sort of thing might not be a big value maker as far as getting that money back in a sale, but it is what it is.

It was a well-made home - main level my oldest cousin has confirmed under the carpet is quality hardwood flooring, for example.

I've got an IRA and $35K handy so I wouldn't mind putting $5K in it if it meant I would sell the house for so much more...

Frankly I think (uneducated guess) I will have to invest at least $5K to get it up to where it is "move-in ready" as was said.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
But painting a room can't be that much, can it?

The upstairs...I'll just guess it is about 500sq feet.

That can't cost that much to pay someone to do a room like that, can it? It also needs carpeting, all the way and the steps/stairs as well. I don't want any fancy carpeting, just something simple, nice new and clean, and as cheap as I need to.
All the more reason to paint yourself if you can. Assuming it doesn’t need a huge amount of prep that’s a few hours of work for you and a couple of gallons of paint.

For carpeting, look at olefin for low cost, shouldn’t pay more than a few dollars a square foot installed.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:09 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
It was a well-made home - main level my oldest cousin has confirmed under the carpet is quality hardwood flooring, for example.
Depending on the state of the main floor carpet you might want to rip it out and polish or refinish the hardwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House